Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Favorite Chronicles?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is your favorite Chronicles?
The First Chronicles
63%
 63%  [ 37 ]
The Second Chronicles
31%
 31%  [ 18 ]
The Final Chronicles
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 58

Fits
Servant of the Land

28 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite sequences are all from the original chronicles: the tales of Runnik and Tull in The Illearth War; and Mhoram's victory from TPTP. These and the originality of the setting bring me back to the First Chronicles year after year.

Btw ever listed "oh s**t" moments for the bad guys:

-Satanfist seeing Mhoram's gleaming Krill
-"Nom"
-"Quern Estrel"
RaceFinisher
Servant of the Land

Male

82 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpin' this'un wayyy up.

Easily the 1st Chrons. I think it's a step ahead of the 2nd Chrons, probably due to having the Quest structure and no Linden Wink . I read the first book of the Final Chrons and honestly have nearly no desire to read the last three.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

380 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacob (if I may invoke your former name), please do not dismiss the Last Chrons based on ROTE. Having read the following two volumes and now being immersed in an ARC of TLD (about which I do not speak), I can only say trust SRD and ride the rollercoaster to where it is going.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
DrPaul
Giantfriend

2380 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't vote (if I vote at all) until after I've read and re-read The Last Dark and can form an opinion on The Last Chronicles.

The other thing to bear in mind is the time that's passed between the first publication of The First Chronicles, and the publication of The Last Chronicles. If we encountered the former in the late 1970s or early 1980s (as I did), it means we've lived and aged some 30 years between then and when we've encountered the latter. People can change a lot in that time, and respond in different ways as a result. Speaking purely for myself, I'm now much more sympathetic to Covenant's predicament in The First Chronicles (summed up in his statement to Elena: "I'm a coward! Lepers have to be!") than I was when I first read the books in 1981-82.
DrPaul
Giantfriend

2380 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the issue has come up, I too regard Mhoram as my favourite character from The First Chronicles.
Creator
Maker of Worlds

Ranyhyn

700 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough pick for me between Mhoram and Saltheart Foamfollower. I would probably pick the giant by a hair.
Rau Le Creuset
Commander

Male

2414 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lomillialor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like the first chronicles the best. I think the characters were better and after reading the first chronicles I found it hard to connect to the new characters in the second chronicles. I fund myself missing bannor, mhoram, and saltheart too much... but I guess in a way that added to the feel of the second chronicles.

and if I was going to order them I would have to say First chronicles, Last chronicles, and then Second Chronicles.

Although I don't remember much of the last chronicles.. the ending of against all things ending stuck with me deep.. I just loved to picture it in my mind.
Iolanthe
Proudly wearing Purple

FemaleRanyhyn

6671 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Glimmermere1 Plains of Ra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Chronicles. Loved nearly all the characters especially Mhoram, Bannor, and Foamfollower, but I do like Linden, and have enjoyed the 2nd and 3rd Chronicles. Perhaps, like Poliwrath, I would place them 1st, 3rd then 2nd.

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Cambo
Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the Second Chrons. I felt some reservation voting before having read The Last Dark, but honestly I don't see the ending of the Last Chrons being so damn good it elevates the series up two levels all on its own.

That's not to say I dislike the Last Chrons, as some do. Far from it. There have been some mind blowing moments and I'm very, very excited for the conclusion to the series. But for me they just don't have the profound emotional and intellectual impact the first trilogies had. And of those two, the Second was the best for me. The pacing was tighter, the stakes seemed higher and more tangible, and the emotional impact was broader and deeper.

http://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
Horrim Carabal
Unlikely Ally

Male

555 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Courser1 Earthblood1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First Chronicles...it's like reminiscing about your youth, when all the world's problems seemed to have easy solutions. Then you get older and realize it's all so much more complicated (Second and Last Chronicles).

"Hey! Remember back when beating the evil guy just meant raising a bigger army than his?! And, when you come face to face with ultimate evil, you just slam your weapon against his and your magics duel it out!"

"Yeah...those were the days."
hue of fuzzpaws
The Maiden Fair and the Bear

Male

502 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Covenant's Novels1 Caamora1 Unfettered

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Second Chronicles.

The First Chronicles had already been published when I first came across them (bought the set whilst staying in the Bath area and then had a second set given to me for my 18th birthday)

However, I got the SC as they were published and can still remember the thrill I had when I came across a hardback copy of WGW in Menzies and had a quick look to see how it ended.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

3609 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now read all 10 Covenant books, and I've got to say: The First Chronicles. The two strongest reasons for me are TPTP chapters ""Lord Mhoram's Victory'" and "Leper's End". Lord Amatin's being shaken emotionally with near-despair as she realized her own capacity for Desecration and the other Lords soothing her in the mind meld until she regains control, and Covenant's overhead vison of the dedication in his honor at Glimmermere are two of the moments that can put me close to tears, like no other moments in the entire TC series. Both chapters in general move me like no others in the series.

Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

3609 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as 2nd Chronicles vs. 3rd Chronicles goes, I like the 3rd Chronicles better. The return of the Ramen & Ranyhyn was gratifying to me (naturally), I liked meeting Berek Halfhand at last, the more complicated plot of 3rd Chron. fascinated me more, I love the time traveling, Esmer, the Mahdoubt, and Stave are great characters, I found the 3rd Chron. epilogue more satisfying than the 2nd Chron. epilogue (w/o giving any of it away, here) and I'm happy to see the Land regained its natural health by the beginning of ROTE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: