Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Income inequality
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7172 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US loves its cheap labor force!

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58431 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fast food industry sets wage rates for its front-line employees. I have nothing against fast food workers, of course, but anyone who thinks they can take orders for Big Macs or Frostys and support a family of four is clearly an idiot.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7172 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restaurant industry is weird... or at least varied!

Because Fast Food tends to be so main-streamed, it makes sense for them mainstream and automate practically everything. There is no finesse in fast food, and having a machine take the orders and make the food makes a lot of business sense.

1) Placing your order instead of relying on someone else hearing you correctly is waaaay better. I went to a Wendy's a few months ago which had four machines that you could place your order at. That's four queues instead of the typical one or two if things are really busy! It was fast and great!

2) Drive-Thru will still require a bit of human workers. This is where most of the employment is at, any way. The focus of any fast-food restaurant is to have quick drive-thru times, so this is where your best (if you have any) will end up. Of course, with the way cell phone apps are progressing, I can see the drive-thru order taker being replaced mostly with an order you make on the app ahead of time. Imagine: you order on your app, which determines where you are at based on your location, which allows the machine to start cooking your food when you would be closer. You pull up, have something scanned on your phone, your food is retrieved, presto!

Really, fast food aims to provide convenience. With things being replaced by technology, that goal will be achieved a lot more consistently!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17270 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no doubt that you have just predicted the eventual future of all fast food. Very Happy

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

14346 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife already orders all her Starbucks on her phone and picks it up as Orlion describes. I prefer to go in and chit chat, but lots of people do the same as my wife.

They have the same number of employees as always. The only difference is fewer people standing around waiting for coffee.

Automation improving service ... not taking jobs.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58431 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will never order food or drinks like that via some smart device--I don't want the providers to know my eating/drinking habits. I can't prove that they track everything but you can't prove that they don't, either, so I err on the side of caution. Thus, I go in and order in person...but I also can't stand chit-chat or small talk, which gets a little awkward at times since the primary purpose of my job is "answer the phone and fix problems"--this sometimes leads to several minutes of silence as I do my job then tell the person waiting on the other end of the line that I fixed it.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7172 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
I will never order food or drinks like that via some smart device--I don't want the providers to know my eating/drinking habits. I can't prove that they track everything but you can't prove that they don't, either, so I err on the side of caution. Thus, I go in and order in person...but I also can't stand chit-chat or small talk, which gets a little awkward at times since the primary purpose of my job is "answer the phone and fix problems"--this sometimes leads to several minutes of silence as I do my job then tell the person waiting on the other end of the line that I fixed it.
I hate anything beyond the bare-minimum of chit-chat in my food services. I got some ice cream the other night and the guy...would...not...shut...up! "What's the best part of your day?" "What book are you reading?" "Would you like to hear about..." NO! Take my order, thank me, and release me from your inanity!

These robots can't come soon enough Evil or Very Mad

-John Crowley

17270 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

I think it far more likely that they are tracking it all than that they're not. I work in online marketing, and believe me, we track every possible thing that can be tracked.

I'm fine with small talk really, but I do hate dealing with people over the phone.

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

14346 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chit chat is far preferable to someone who doesn't address you, say hi, or look you in the eye. I don't care if it's forced or their boss tells them to chat with every customer (as I'm sure they do at Whole Foods ... you can sense them struggling for something to say, sometimes). Being polite is about faking it, otherwise there'd be no need for politeness.

After a string of bad service encounters, I used to welcome the robot replacements. But now it has made me really appreciate when people try to provide friendly service. The difference is dramatic. I want to go back to those places. I can't stand walking into a restaurant and every employee looks like survivors of some minor apocalypse, no one addresses me, and they're indifferently trying to correct wrong orders. I know immediately: these are people who don't wash their hands after the bathroom. Fuck this place.

If I'd ordered from an app, I never would have known. It's the same reason I don't use drive throughs. These people are making something I'm going to ingest. It's worth getting out of the car and having a look at them.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche

17270 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use drive throughs, but that's because I believe they create the perception of convenience.

It's almost always faster to get out and go inside and order, because everybody else is queuing in the drive through. Very Happy

--A

Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7172 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never use drive throughs, but that's because I believe they create the perception of convenience.

It's almost always faster to get out and go inside and order, because everybody else is queuing in the drive through. Very Happy

--A
It depends in the US. The tendency is either you wait the same time or longer, because most of the employees are going to be assigned to work drive thrus in an effort to keep times down there. Inside customers can just rot Rolling Eyes

-John Crowley

17270 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily not usually the case here. Very Happy

--A

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1573 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At some point in the future the phone apps will probably have a built in app
for chit-chat. Some one, some where will complain that the ordering app is so unhuman
and a hint of some conversation between customer and
company should exist. To show the company cares.
This will lead to hackers trying to modify the apps to get personal information
from the customer so they can do the stuff hackers do.
The "Quiet" option will be removed by hackers or never developed because the company spent
so much developing the app, it would be more expensive to have one because the
purpose is to chit chat.
These apps will become more comercialized and to use the app you will agree to allow
text messaging or verbal reminders to "buy me" or "go to me" .
To remove these apps will be impossible to totally removed because you have a prior agreement
with the company when you use the app you have given an license for a
forever clause to be implemented.
The funny farm is not far behind.
Technology is your friend. humans working for a company are not.

There is an old Twilight Zone episode that has asked this question on automation. It dates back to the late 1950's or early 60's.

17270 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ur Dead wrote:

Technology is your friend. humans working for a company are not.

Yep. Which means the tech they develop isn't either, because ultimately it's for their benefit, not yours. (Same applies to government.)

--A

SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

12158 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:

--A
It depends in the US. The tendency is either you wait the same time or longer, because most of the employees are going to be assigned to work drive thrus in an effort to keep times down there. Inside customers can just rot Rolling Eyes

Ever pull up in a drive in window with no one behind you, put in your order and have them ask you to please pull up and they will bring it out? Its because they have sensors that can tell what time you pulled up to the window and what time you pulled away. It improves their service metrics without actually improving your service. I refused to pull up one day and the girl at the window was apoplectic. I said, "why should I pull up, there is no one behind me that I'm holding up?", She looked at me like I was a 3 eyed giraffe and said, "Sir, Chargrils take 5 minutes!". Then I used the other thing I do where I order food. If I have pissed them off, its time to cancel my order so I don't end up with some secret sauce on mine.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch

17270 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sort of monitoring is not (yet) a thing here.

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58431 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first court decision over Seattle's "tax the rich" plan has been handed down and the judge has ruled that the tax violated the State's laws. In response, the city's attorney and mayor reiterated their desire that their only motivation was to make certain the wealthy pay their fair share.

There is that phrase again--"their fair share". As always, if we ask the city attorney and mayor "how much is fair?" we are not going to receive a straight answer. If they commit to a percentage or a number then they cannot raise that number or percentage in the future. No, when they say "fair" that gives them room to increase the rate as needed so they can try to punish wealthy people more.

Anyway...the case will now go to Washington's Supreme Court but I am fairly certain they will reach the same conclusion--the city's tax violates the State Constitution.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

2398 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the strategy is not to quantify a % / figure because they'll be held by that .. and they could never REDUCE it .. 😏

To do so effectually be seen as .. this sector paying less than what was quantified as their "fair share".

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

17270 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fair" is a human construct anyway. It's one of those things that means whatever somebody wants it to mean when it suits them...

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

2398 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fair" is a human construct anyway. It's one of those things that means whatever somebody wants it to mean when it suits them...

--A

A human construct, constructed by humans, for humans 😏

Yes but no burocracy will quantify standards .. as it's not in the political interest. They will always be reluctant to do so - for fear of being held to that standard. They much prefer to operate within vagaries.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 31 of 32

Jump to: