Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donaldson's Obscure Words - Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
iQuestor
Unthanked

Ranyhyn
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 2520

Thanks: 9
Thanked 1 Times in 1 Posts

Location: South of Disorder
467 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Member of THOOLAH1 SRD's Green Rock


PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what an awesome word site! thanks AmaniBhavam!!
_________________
Becoming Elijah has been released from Calderwood Books!
Korik's Fate
It cannot now be set aside, nor passed on...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Berenford
Stonedownor


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 39

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Brighton, UK
34 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: srdamd updates? Reply with quote

Does anyone know if http://naples.net/~dsaddison/srdamd/ is being updated with respect to the Last Chronicles? I am reading Fatal Revenant now, and on pages 227 and 228 alone there are at least six words that are not on the list that should be:

peroration
eidolons
deliracy
delitescent
moiré
oneiric

Or is a list being maintained somewhere else?

Thanks,

Berenford
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Landwaster
blergh

Male
Joined: 14 Nov 2002
Posts: 3779

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
281 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see this is still getting the odd guernsey in discussions Smile
_________________
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Thanked by: Cord Hurn
Berenford
Stonedownor


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 39

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Brighton, UK
34 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps we should add "guernsey" to the list?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Landwaster
blergh

Male
Joined: 14 Nov 2002
Posts: 3779

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
281 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, err ... 'run', 'turn', 'instance'.
_________________
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Rocksister
Giant

Female
Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 496

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Location: South Carolina
2045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list appears to have been abandoned. Anyone know if that is true? Anyway, I started today re-reading all eight books and am on chapter four of Lord Foul's Bane. THIS time, about the 15th reading of the series, I am making a list of the words of whose meaning I am not sure. I think in the context they are in, I can get the general gyst of what they mean, but I am not sure. So, how does this work? Do we find the definitions ourselves, or just enter the words and let the originator of this thread enter them, if the thread still lives? Here are words I have written down so far, in only the first 38 pages!!! My "guessed" meaning is off to the right. All are missing from the list in original post:

doggerel-annoying little song
bonhomie-stuffy,snobby attitude
perorations-speeches attempting persuasion
recidivists-NO IDEA
excoriated-self-abased
vertiginous-to do with verigo, as in heights or things that make TC feel
the same way that vertigo does
picar-spear
dais-platform
chiaroscuro-blaze (fire)
monody-simple melody

By the time I get to FR, I think I will fill up an entire notebook. Please someone let me know if this topic is dead.....I will have much more as time goes by. Thanks.
_________________
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?


One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Landwaster
blergh

Male
Joined: 14 Nov 2002
Posts: 3779

Thanks: 3
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
281 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksister wrote:
The list appears to have been abandoned. Anyone know if that is true? Anyway, I started today re-reading all eight books and am on chapter four of Lord Foul's Bane. THIS time, about the 15th reading of the series, I am making a list of the words of whose meaning I am not sure. I think in the context they are in, I can get the general gyst of what they mean, but I am not sure. So, how does this work? Do we find the definitions ourselves, or just enter the words and let the originator of this thread enter them, if the thread still lives? Here are words I have written down so far, in only the first 38 pages!!! My "guessed" meaning is off to the right. All are missing from the list in original post:

doggerel-annoying little song
bonhomie-stuffy,snobby attitude
perorations-speeches attempting persuasion
recidivists-NO IDEA
excoriated-self-abased
vertiginous-to do with verigo, as in heights or things that make TC feel
the same way that vertigo does
picar-spear
dais-platform
chiaroscuro-blaze (fire)
monody-simple melody

By the time I get to FR, I think I will fill up an entire notebook. Please someone let me know if this topic is dead.....I will have much more as time goes by. Thanks.


Yeah, I'm unfortunately distracted by medical stuff (my wife is unwell) so cannot check in too often. Funnily enough, I'm now living in the USA (Santa Cruz), but living out of motels and all time is taken up being a caretaker.

If anyone would like to take over the updating, I wouldn't be offended Very Happy
_________________
Do you think I like being this dangerous?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Relayer
Sequent

Male
Joined: 20 Dec 2005
Posts: 1365

Thanks: 6
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts

Location: Wasatch Stonedown
2444 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit of material from the man himself...

In the Gradual Interview SRD wrote:
I’ve talked about “vocabulary” in the “Covenant” books before--and doubtless will again. I hasten to say that I do not use a thesaurus. Nor is there anything “careful” about my research. I simply love words, partly for their sound, and partly for their power to enable thought. So when I read, I make lists of unfamiliar words. And when my lists reach a certain mass, I indulge in word orgies, looking up sounds and meanings without regard to their potential relevance or usefulness. You might say that I’m trying to furnish my mind with the raw materials necessary for what I want to write by “mining” other people’s vocabularies. On some level, however, I do acquire the raw materials for their own sake; and I value them whether or not they ever serve my purposes.

(04/14/2008)

_________________
"History is a myth men have agreed upon." - Napoleon

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
dougkeenan
Servant of the Land

Male
Joined: 21 Jan 2008
Posts: 23

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Indianapolis
68 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"wordgies" ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Audio Covenant
Stonedownor

Male
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 46

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Location: Los Angeles, CA
402 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landwaster wrote:
Rocksister wrote:
The list appears to have been abandoned. Anyone know if that is true? Anyway, I started today re-reading all eight books and am on chapter four of Lord Foul's Bane. THIS time, about the 15th reading of the series, I am making a list of the words of whose meaning I am not sure. I think in the context they are in, I can get the general gyst of what they mean, but I am not sure. So, how does this work? Do we find the definitions ourselves, or just enter the words and let the originator of this thread enter them, if the thread still lives? Here are words I have written down so far, in only the first 38 pages!!! My "guessed" meaning is off to the right. All are missing from the list in original post:

doggerel-annoying little song
bonhomie-stuffy,snobby attitude
perorations-speeches attempting persuasion
recidivists-NO IDEA
excoriated-self-abased
vertiginous-to do with verigo, as in heights or things that make TC feel
the same way that vertigo does
picar-spear
dais-platform
chiaroscuro-blaze (fire)
monody-simple melody

By the time I get to FR, I think I will fill up an entire notebook. Please someone let me know if this topic is dead.....I will have much more as time goes by. Thanks.


Yeah, I'm unfortunately distracted by medical stuff (my wife is unwell) so cannot check in too often. Funnily enough, I'm now living in the USA (Santa Cruz), but living out of motels and all time is taken up being a caretaker.

If anyone would like to take over the updating, I wouldn't be offended Very Happy


I'm sorry to hear about your wife, Landwaster, I hope she's better. I'm a new member, and I'm humbled reading through this string. I've been posting a lot recently because I'm a narrator, I just got done recording two of the Covenant titles as audiobooks, and I lived with this list for months. It's literally taped up on my studio door for easy reference. The crazy thing is, I had no idea you'd done all this work, so I looked these all up myself...! If only I'd checked in here first. I spent HOURS tracking down some of these words. I just found this string tonight and keep shaking my head, thinking how much work I could've saved myself. Embarassed

I'm curious which source you used for the pronunciations? You might have answered that somewhere along the way, I admit I skimmed over parts. When recording I usually rely on Merriam-Webster.com, but it's not so good on the really obscure stuff. And from all my research, I've found that dictionaries actually disagree with one another; that really threw me the first time I came across that. You'd think English would be somewhat standardized, but not so much. As a result, a few of the words you have up here wound up being pronounced differently in the audios, probably just because I was looking them up in another dictionary.

I wish I could post a picture of the word list on my door: it's four pages long, and it's just the words from FATAL REVENANT. The crazy thing is, all the invented words, names and phrases are just over a page long, but the REAL words are almost three pages' worth! There's an irony in there somewhere, but it's late and I'm tired. I'll sign off now by commending you again for all this work.

Best,

Scott Brick
_________________
Are you a storyteller, Thomas Covenant?

I was, once.

And you gave it up? Ah, that is as sad a tale in three words as any you might have told me. But a life without a tale is like a sea without salt. How do you live?

I live.

Another? In two words, a story sadder than the first. Say no more -- with one word you will make me weep.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Berenford
Stonedownor


Joined: 05 Apr 2005
Posts: 39

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Brighton, UK
34 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, a post from *the* Scott Brick! I can't count the number of audiobooks I've listened to you read. I'm not surprised to hear that you do extensive preparation for your narrations - the level of professionalism really shows.

(I have the Runes of the Earth audiobook, but haven't seen a Fatal Revenant release yet. Do you have any info?)

Oops: I only just now saw your post (http://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15168) that explains that there is a FR audiobook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Audio Covenant
Stonedownor

Male
Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Posts: 46

Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Location: Los Angeles, CA
402 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Berenford wrote:
Wow, a post from *the* Scott Brick! I can't count the number of audiobooks I've listened to you read. I'm not surprised to hear that you do extensive preparation for your narrations - the level of professionalism really shows.

(I have the Runes of the Earth audiobook, but haven't seen a Fatal Revenant release yet. Do you have any info?)

Oops: I only just now saw your post (http://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15168) that explains that there is a FR audiobook.


Darn, and here I thought I was going to be able to post the information again! Laughing

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it. And thanks for listening so much, you're helping me pay my mortgage! Hope you like the new ones.

Best,

Scott
_________________
Are you a storyteller, Thomas Covenant?

I was, once.

And you gave it up? Ah, that is as sad a tale in three words as any you might have told me. But a life without a tale is like a sea without salt. How do you live?

I live.

Another? In two words, a story sadder than the first. Say no more -- with one word you will make me weep.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Rocksister
Giant

Female
Joined: 03 Oct 2006
Posts: 496

Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Location: South Carolina
2045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about your situation, Landwaster. I also love words, as SRD said, but I don't do the orgy thing. Vocabulary is a hobby, albeit not a fanatical one, and his books make me think about my poverty in that area. Audio, your sig line is one of my favorite passages in the series. Foamfollower is the most endearing character in the first trilogy, IMHO.
_________________
Heard my ears aright? Did not the gaddhi grant me this glaive?


One must have strength to judge the weakness of others. I am not so mighty. Lord Mhoram in TIW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Roynish
Elohim

Male
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Posts: 144

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Newcastle, Australia
184 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Donaldsons beautiful words getting a blast. Love it...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
W.B.
Elohim


Joined: 28 Sep 2003
Posts: 170

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Florida
4 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't resist adding to the list, even a year after the fact: Wink

recidivist - one who relapses; specifically a habitual criminal
_________________
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Barnetto
Elohim


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 245

Thanks: 5
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Location: London, UK
407 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Berek Tapestry1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Fire Lion


PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atrabilious = (1) gloomy; morose; melancholy; morbid.
(2) irritable; bad-tempered; splenetic

Is this still the right place for these?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 18290

Thanks: 11
Thanked 190 Times in 175 Posts

Location: The world of the Bowling Green Massacre
40875 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnetto wrote:
Is this still the right place for these?

Anyone who doesn't think so is splenetic.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
W.B.
Elohim


Joined: 28 Sep 2003
Posts: 170

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Location: Florida
4 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo! Which of the books did that come from?
_________________
The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.
-F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stephen R. Donaldson Ate My Dictionary
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Blackhawk
the Render and Illender

Male
Joined: 04 Mar 2008
Posts: 941

Thanks: 18
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts

Location: CA
261 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Unfettered1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Landwaster.. its easier to link to your post than to look in the dictionary Wink thx
_________________


http://www.seareach.webs.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Thanked by: Cord Hurn
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 26 Aug 2007
Posts: 6435

Thanks: 17
Thanked 57 Times in 56 Posts

Location: Getting there...
6993 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock


PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump it, yo's!
_________________
'Tis dream to think that Reason can
Govern the reasoning creature, man.
- Herman Melville

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by Earthpower © Kevin's Watch