Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Donaldson's Obscure Words - Official Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrPaul
Giantfriend

2397 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could speculate on whether Covenant's Unbelief was strengthened or mitigated by encountering all these people in the Land who spoke archaic English sprinkled with obscure words.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

2255 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Kresh1 Diamondraught1 Mind Meld

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrPaul wrote:
We could speculate on whether Covenant's Unbelief was strengthened or mitigated by encountering all these people in the Land who spoke archaic English sprinkled with obscure words.

Covenant was a pulp fantasy writer. He'd expect the fancy words and made-up terms. We must assume from his insistence that it's all his imagination that he used the same thesaurus as Donaldson to write his 1.5 books.
Nanothnir
Elohim

1348 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of Donaldson's vocabulary definitely seems like he was influenced by his father's work as a physician. Some of the terms (febrile, paroxysm, purulent, etc.) are commonly used in medicine.
Thanked by: Cord Hurn
Skyweir
Lord of Light

19250 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowbinding shoe wrote:
DrPaul wrote:

Covenant was a pulp fantasy writer. He'd expect the fancy words and made-up terms. We must assume from his insistence that it's all his imagination that he used the same thesaurus as Donaldson to write his 1.5 books.

Actually I am surprised by this because he has often said that his experience with his father being a doctor definitely influenced his work.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28156 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:

Actually I am surprised by this because he has often said that his experience with his father being a doctor definitely influenced his work.

That's surely part of it. As Nano noted a fair amount of his vocab has medicine-related usages.
But really, almost everything in his environment leads that way, unless I'm mismembering things.
Like---the school he attended while in India as a kid had Christian basis...and at that time, most of the Bibles and related religious lit. used older language---not so much was in everyday language versions then.
Medical and Biblical lit. both have more complicated structures, more necessary and obvious connections to the root languages and intermediate evolutions to modern vernacular.
Simply reading [heh...simply...right] isn't enough...as with Shakespeare and such, it ain't words and punctuation to really get it---it's half way to translation and history at the same time.
And then...maybe partly because of those things...the literature/authors he came to admire and study.
And the surrounding culture in his early years had deep and complicated thought/history/narrative structure, too---even limited exposure to that can have impacts at that age. [especially easily at that age, I should say].
The surprising thing, to me, is that that background ended up with him being able to write something like the Gap series. In many ways, the Gap is more creative, original, than any of his fantasy. Though I haven't seen the new yet---and won't until at least two are out and a third on its way.

-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

19250 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah and his religious narrative that he introduces to the Chrons story is illuminating ... but yeah he has talked about that part of his upbringing.

The new fantasy work?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28156 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:

The new fantasy work?

Yea...it was out Oct. or Nov. But I'm not getting it or visiting the thread about it until the second is out, purchased, and read at least.
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

19250 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh is that the Great Gods War? Yeah seen it and am avoiding it for the same reason Wink 😂

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: