Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who is the Fatal Revenat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
son of Dwillian
Servant of the Land

33 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Who is the Fatal Revenat? Reply with quote

Call me obtuse if you like, but who is actually the Fatal Revenant? Linden or Covenant? Thanks.
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
147785 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let others more versed in the Chrons answer your question, son of Dwillian, and take the time to welcome you to the Watch instead. So...

Be Welcome to the Watch, son of Dwillian.
Be Well Come and True.

If you like, come tell us about yourself in the Say "Hello" in here thread in The Summonsing.
The Patrician

Male

363 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to the missus ME!!! Big Grin Big Grin
Seareach
A sailor went to...

FemaleRanyhyn

8914 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora1 2007 Watchies1 Coercri

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a previous thread that might help you out.. Smile

http://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=13276
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
spoonchicken
Servant of Foul

Male

952 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LA is the Fatal Revenant. It says so on SRD's website. Go to the home page & click on the "trailer" for FR at the top of the Home Page. See for yourselves.
"Who enters here, do not lose hope / Who leaves; do not rejoice / Who has not been, shall be here yet / Who has been here, shall never forget" Anonymous / discovered scratched into the wall of a cell in the KGB's Lefortovo Prison in Moscow/originally quoted in the book "Alexander Dolguns Story" (by A.Dolgun),describing the ordeals of an American citizen falsely imprisoned by the Soviet Union from 1948 to 1957.
Romeo
Shun the non-believer! Shhhhuuuuuuunnnnnna!

Male

373 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't go by the trailer - that's just something **I** made up after reading the draft. Even though SRD "approves" them before they go on the site, they don't necessarilly represent what he had in mind. It amazes me how often I felt sure I knew what was going on (in *any* of the books), then read something in the GI or hear Steve answer a question at an Elohimfest and find out how much deeper the "truth" really is. And I put together the "teaser" to be exactly that - perhaps meaning one thing, perhaps another. Like the "Linden, what have you done?" quote in the FR trailer. It's one of the last lines in the book, but it suggests that the TC that we see at the beginning might be the real one. Now, that doesn't mean that the trailer doesn't accurately represent the book - it's meant to do that, too.

I think SRD said in a GI answer that there were several Fatal Revenants. Linden, Roger, Jeremiah, TC himself. They can all be looked at as fatal reflections or incarnations of themselves.
Vader
Black

Male

6937 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Fatal Revenant is just one person - it is more like an underlying concept of the last chronicles. Depending on the perspective everyone is a revenant of one sort with the potential to be fatal to others. Foul, Linden, Covenant, Anele, Ramen and Ranyhym (who return to the land), the Mahdoubt, the Theomach, the Demondim, the ur-Viles and Waynhims ... even Berek. With time travel and ceasures every one can be a revenant.

EDIT:
And Romeo was faster. Damn, I type top slow or think too long while typing ...
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14862 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romeo wrote:
Don't go by the trailer - that's just something **I** made up after reading the draft. Even though SRD "approves" them before they go on the site, they don't necessarilly represent what he had in mind. It amazes me how often I felt sure I knew what was going on (in *any* of the books), then read something in the GI or hear Steve answer a question at an Elohimfest and find out how much deeper the "truth" really is. And I put together the "teaser" to be exactly that - perhaps meaning one thing, perhaps another. Like the "Linden, what have you done?" quote in the FR trailer. It's one of the last lines in the book, but it suggests that the TC that we see at the beginning might be the real one. Now, that doesn't mean that the trailer doesn't accurately represent the book - it's meant to do that, too.

I think SRD said in a GI answer that there were several Fatal Revenants. Linden, Roger, Jeremiah, TC himself. They can all be looked at as fatal reflections or incarnations of themselves.

That quote - "Oh Linden, what have you done?" was a helluva teaser, and an even better cliffhanger. Wink
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7212 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
Romeo wrote:

That quote - "Oh Linden, what have you done?" was a helluva teaser, and an even better cliffhanger. Wink

After I read FR, I thought about that trailer and said "Well-played". My hat off to you, Romeo

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14862 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
dlbpharmd wrote:
Romeo wrote:

After I read FR, I thought about that trailer and said "Well-played". My hat off to you, Romeo

let's not brag on Romeo too much - he's already got that "I'm SRD's webmaster and you're not" attitude going on. Wink
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28156 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool ideas here. TC almost has to be one FR, [half the powers in the world knew that, whatever her other intentions, Linden was going to call TC..fated, back from the dead]. Many of the other speculations are pretty interesting too, and considering SRD's penchant for multiplicity, ONE ANSWER seems unlikely. A couple thoughts just occured to me [that are highly speculative, but I hope interesting...] Kastenessen...certainly fatal [in both the deadly and fated senses] and also a revenant...returned, but not what he once was. The Haruchai [same reasons as Kast.] ....damn, I should have mentioned, since I didn't see it here, in addition to the noted definitions, revenant can also mean remainder, or what is left over.
Last one, just for fun and weirdness: The Staff of Law. At this point, analogically, it reminds me of police forces in Mexico, some US cities, and a lot of other places. What it stands for [ideologically] is still in place, as is its "mission" [slight but important difference there]...but in practice it has been violated, corrupted, distorted and abused in so many ways, often with good intentions.
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
MsMary
The Cheat

FemaleRanyhyn

34045 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Andelain1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always assumed TC was the Fatal Revenant, due to the definition of revenant.
- Is all right special Time Lord code for really not all right at all?

- You're all irresponsible fools!
- The Doctor: But we're very experienced irresponsible fools.

THOOLAH member since 2005

EZBoard Survivor
Vader
Black

Male

6937 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsMary wrote:
I always assumed TC was the Fatal Revenant, due to the definition of revenant.

The same definition would apply to Lord Foul. Or Linden - after all she looks like being pretty dead in her own world.
Percipience
Servant of the Land

78 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished an entire book and still don't know what the title means. If only I knew what Revenant meant. I suppose I should have looked it up, but I figured eventually I would get a clue in reading the book. Not so. Sad
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3068 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One note or two, three:
The FR can be a spectre of a past deed. A dark mood(Which Linden has developed) The Mahdoubt could be one. Bhapa's fear of being a Manethrall.

A revenant is a spirit who seek vengence for a wrong, but SRD might redefine it as a condition.
Or it can be Kastenessen, who is mad but is he alive?
Zahir
Malkavian Primogen

4921 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Methinks it is deliberately vague, but in terms of obvious plot, Thomas Covenant.
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Thanked by: Cord Hurn
Wheelwash Whitecap
No One at The Bridge

Male

115 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Oath of Peace1 I Love KW1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Who is the FR? Reply with quote

Even though the definition of revenant says a "spirit", that does not necessarily mean that the FR is dead.

Therefore, it could be LA or TC. For that matter there are several more characters that fit the bill as well.

Having said that, IMO it is TC.
Illearth
Servant of the Land

26 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: I'd guess it's the Ranyhyn! Reply with quote

Just because everybody (except LF and Ravers) loves them.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion, but gotta say LA is bugging the bejabbers out of me. She's so admirable in so many ways, yet she's willing to damn the Land for the sake of vacant Jeremiah. All the wonder of the Land and its denizens doesn't strike me as a worthy bargain (as Wildwood would say) for one damaged teen who never responds. BTW, I do hope Jeremiah isn't going to put Foul somewhere from whence he can never return.
Remillard
Servant of the Land

47 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd guess it's the Ranyhyn! Reply with quote

Illearth wrote:
She's so admirable in so many ways, yet she's willing to damn the Land for the sake of vacant Jeremiah. All the wonder of the Land and its denizens doesn't strike me as a worthy bargain (as Wildwood would say) for one damaged teen who never responds.

She's his MOTHER.
Illearth
Servant of the Land

26 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I'd guess it's the Ranyhyn! Reply with quote

Remillard wrote:

She's his MOTHER.

By adoption.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: