Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The "New" Giants
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1909 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Giant1 Giant Ship1 Mount Thunder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted]

Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41585 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've attributed the Giantish tomfoollery we see to their being a batallion of soldiers that have been together for a while and seen plenty of combat together. Its a soldier-thing to engage in this kind of monkeying around. (Half of the entire Malazan series is about this, it seems.) Also, Giants are supposed to exhibit humor frequently and with verve - how else to accomplish this if you are Donaldson?
Thanked by: Cord Hurn
DrPaul
Giantfriend

2363 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Longwrath has had an Earthsight vision, but that vision is incomplete or imprecise. For instance, the vision may have shown him that Linden would arouse the World of the Worm's End, but not shown him all the further consequences of this and how it fits into the "big picture" of the cosmology, or shown him the possibilities for Linden and others to respond in ways that produce a more hopeful outcome. If so, we can infer that on the basis of this incomplete vision he has concluded that Linden must be stopped at any cost.
Wildling
Giantfriend

Male

803 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remillard wrote:
I think we haven't had time to get to know them very well honestly. The introduction of the Giants in FR is much like the introduction of the Giants in TWL... under dire events at the very end of the novel.

I see full evidence in the usual Giantish behaviors in the trash-talking between the Ironhand and her fellow Swordmainnir, so I fully expect the depiction of the Giants to be true to the culture. Remember that they are long-lived and far from fecund. There's no real room or reason for their culture to have changed substantially. I don't believe they are more barbaric; they are dealing with situations of extreme duress in their usual heroic manner.

I agree with both of these statements and would only add that these are giantish warriors (Longwrath included) and therefore may be less inclined towards casualness than someone like Pitchwife.
deer of the dawn
On a mission from God

FemaleRanyhyn

8738 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin1 Oath of Peace1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely. I think these Giants were selected for this particular mission, and it wasn't an exploratory lark like some previous missions; and centuries have worked their attrition on the Giants' lack of fecundity, they may just be a more serious culture/race than the Foamfollower's generation was.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Wildling
Giantfriend

Male

803 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure about that. All we saw previously were some guy sailors, Foamfollower, and The First, who was the more severe of the group. It may be that the Swordmainnir tend more towards seriousness than the sailors do.

deer of the dawn wrote:
and centuries have worked their attrition on the Giants' lack of fecundity, they may just be a more serious culture/race than the Foamfollower's generation was.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

2459 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
I've attributed the Giantish tomfoollery we see to their being a batallion of soldiers that have been together for a while and seen plenty of combat together. Its a soldier-thing to engage in this kind of monkeying around. (Half of the entire Malazan series is about this, it seems.) Also, Giants are supposed to exhibit humor frequently and with verve - how else to accomplish this if you are Donaldson?

Exactly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: