Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The new Tool thread that shouldn't be deleted
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

4756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra, that sucks when a great band is disappointing live. I've had a couple of up and down experiences with Tool concerts. Most of the time they've been great, but one seemed much more rushed, and they pumped out a few songs then left, which was a let-down.

Cambo, apart from the usual filler that kind of annoys me (like Eon Blue Apocalypse. Mantra, Faaip de Oiad), I find myself skipping Disposition, Reflection and Triad. It has never really done it for me.

It took me ages to get into The Patient, but I like that one now.
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

4756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Tool again recently, a week or so ago, and although there was no new material, I thought the concert was of a higher quality than previous shows I've been to.

The only downside was that Maynard's voice seemed weak - he postponed a show earlier in the week due to doctor's orders, and still appeared to be suffering a little. He still hit the notes, but didn't hold them for any length.

However, the "show" was very cool, with good use of lasers and video screens. AND they kicked off the show with Third Eye, which is an immense powerhouse of the song when seen live! Nothing like a 15 minute opening song. There were a nice number of variations to their songs (in the past they played almost studio versions, which was impressive, but fairly ho-hum as far as the "show" went) - Danny featured on the drums in a few of these variations, and wowed us sufficiently!

From memory, they then played Vicarious, Schism, and Pushit - all with amazing and interesting variations. It was in Pushit that I felt that Maynard's voice suffered, but the music carried him through. Then came Intension, which was a good excuse to go to the loo, and get more beers...

They followed Intension with Lateralus - and that was a major highlight! The laser show was in full stream with a bunch of black and white lasers beaming in all directions, followed by red and yellow, and then a huge wall of colour leading into the next section of the song. It has such a fantastic build up and climax.

Then we had a 12 minute intermission!

When the lights dimmed again, Danny had another lengthy drum solo session, which eventually led into Jambi - which I would imagine must be one of the most difficult songs to play live. I still can't work out the time signature they use in that song.

The big three to end the show were: Forty Six & 2 - one of my all-time favourite Tool songs; Aenima; and Stinkfist - dedicated to the late Jeff Hannerman, guitarist of Slayer, who died the night before the show (or some time very close to it).

So, no the Pot, the Grudge, Right in Two or Sober, but in general I thought it was good value, and the sound quality was excellent apart from some periods where Maynard's vocals should have dominated the song, but didn't. I suspect that was intentional due to his weakened voice.

I certainly enjoyed this show, but I don't think I'll go to another Tool show unless they release another album. How long has it been since 10,000 Days? Anyway, all in all, a better show than most that I've been to.
Zarathustra
Be True

13859 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear. I wish they'd hurry up with the new stuff, but at least they're still playing. Maynard has always sounded a little weak live, imo. He pushes himself to the limit in the studio, doing things he just can't replicate live. It's a shame, but it can be said for a lot of singers.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Cambo
Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw them in Auckland last week. Amazing show. I agree Maynard's voice is not what it was, but it sounds like we got a better performance out of him than Stevie did; I thought Pushit was his vocal highlight.
Third Eye as the opener for us as well, and was similarly thunderous. Visuals were amazing, particularly during Vicarious. They jammed quite a lot, with extended bits for, from memory, Stinkfist, Schism, Pushit and Lateralus, and a drum solo intro to Jambi.

First time seeing my favourite band solo, and I couldn't have been happier Very Happy. But yes, we are well past due for the new album- I suspect the blame lies with Maynard.

http://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

4756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a trip down memory lane, Tool playing Led Zeppelin's No Quarter from Salival - it's a satisfying epic! Very Happy
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

2412 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StevieG wrote:
Here's a trip down memory lane, Tool playing Led Zeppelin's No Quarter from Salival - it's a satisfying epic! Very Happy

Indeed, that's pretty good, Stevie!
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

4756 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another live Tool song from Salival

Classic guitar riff!

You Lied
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: