Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Health care reform: market solutions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Repealing Obamacare in the House" is a symbolic victory, at best. It still has to pass the Senate and the fight will be more difficult there.

Still, Republican Members of the House who won their seat by campaigning to repeal Obamacare couldn't lose with this vote. As long as they voted to repeal they may truthfully tell their constituents "I did what you sent me to Washington to do" and this may be enough for some of them to win reelection in 1.5 years.

It must have been difficult working for health insurance providers the past few years, though. "Oh, good--we are going to get lots of new customers as people sign up for our plans through the Exchanges." "Oh, phooey--the Exchanges aren't being set up as quickly or efficiently as we need them to but we'll tough it out." "Oh crap--we are literally losing the shirt off our back--time to abandon the Exchanges or go bankrupt."

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

14339 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi, symbolic at best? At best, it's the beginning of the end of ACA. At worst it's symbolic. It's possible that the Senate won't pass it, but it's not likely. Some form of "Republicare" will be passed.

I don't understand the negativity. People were determined to poop all over the Republicans just a few weeks ago and proclaim them a failure on this very issue. Now, they've done exactly what people said they couldn't do, and we still have to say something negative about it? Why not acknowledge that this is a victory and massive course correction in the history of our country?

Republicans will determine the future of health care access for the next decade or so. We will be able to directly compare it to the failure of the Democrats' vision. The difference will be stark.

Just watch and see.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not being negative about it, only realistic. Until the Senate passes something a bill passing the House is just a collection of papers with no significance.

Some guy on another forum said "this bill will kill people". That comment was so ridiculous that I left it alone--you cannot reply to something like that in a serious manner. I keep mentioning to people over there to drop by here but none of them have so far, as far as I know. Perhaps I should keep mentioning The Tank to them.

Also, Democrats chanting "na na na na, hey hey hey, goodbye" as if Republicans are going to lose any seats over this next election. Quite the contrary--I bet Republicans gain seats in the House during midterms.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17233 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, saw the headlines, but when I read it, realised it wasn't quite a done deal yet.

agree with Z though...from a Rep point of view, symbolic will be the worst case outcome.

--A

Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16327 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nothing. It's a re-tooling of the ACA, not a repeal.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Zarathustra
Be True

14339 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail, while it's not a full repeal, it is a repeal of the most important aspects of ACA. It gets rid of the government subsidized exchanges, it gets rid of the unconstitutional mandate (regardless how the SCOTUS ruled), doesn't force you to buy types of insurance you don't need, and it takes care of people with preexisting conditions without forcing insurance companies to cover them. This is a major injection of freedom back into the market.

I think we still don't know much of the details of the bill.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16327 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank God we passed the bill in order to see what's in it.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Zarathustra
Be True

14339 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail, I said 'we,' not Congress. I'm sure they knew what was in it.

I don't think the details of many bills are widely known among the public a day after they're passed. None of us read them. We rely on the media. The public debate on this bill has just begun.

Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

24291 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me show what's gonna happen to that bill when it hits the Senate:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/76/Book_burning.jpg

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16327 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
5517 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Raver1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like nothing more than ACA v. 2.

-jay
Zarathustra
Be True

14339 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what way does it seem like ACA 2?

Few bills go straight from the House to the Senate without changes. It's possible we could get a much better bill after the Senate rewrites it.

This is all just part of the process. It's why we have all these branches of government, after all.

Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1573 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always said. You don't vote in a new bad set of rules to replace the
original bad set of rules.

I think they should drop back 10 yards and punt.
ACA was beginning to unravel. Let it.
ACA is nothing more than forcing people to have insurance.
If there is a rise in healthcare then the insurance cost go up.
Besides ACA really has no teeth... that is a part of the unraveling.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now we finally get to it: Bernie Sanders is going to introduce "Medicare for All" legislation into the Senate today; the proposed legislation has 15 other co-sponsors but Democracy Now doesn't list who they are.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

14339 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is even more meaningless than the multiple repeal bills passed by Republican Congresses over the last few years. It would go nowhere, even if it were more than a political stunt. Until the Dems spell out exactly how they'd pay for this, they're not serious.

Bernie Sanders' New Single Payer Plan Is a Wild Legislative Fantasy

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on the radio--looking for confirmation via some other source--that the Senate is going to try and repeal/replace the ACA again this week.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Skyweir
Lord of Light

2397 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Now we finally get to it: Bernie Sanders is going to introduce "Medicare for All" legislation into the Senate today; the proposed legislation has 15 other co-sponsors but Democracy Now doesn't list who they are.

I feel sorry for the US - for all who struggle and suffer under a lack of affordable health care. Here it's free .. to a degree. We have Medicare - it works. People keep wanting to meddle with it ..

I was injured a few years back .. was clinically dead, was on life support and machines to ventilate, one that stimulated the heart muscle etc. for a month.
I'd be 6' under but for the Australian Medicare system. I had months of rehab after, I was in a pretty bad way. Medical costs were more than I could have ever afforded.

If it happened in the US - I think I'd be screwed! LOL

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17233 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you'd probably get the care, but they'd hound you for the rest of your life over the bills. Very Happy

Now here in SA, you'd really be screwed.

(What happened?)

--A

Skyweir
Lord of Light

2397 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha!! 😂 *note to self don't move to SA*

Occupational hazard 🤔 in the wrong place at the right time 🤕

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
I feel sorry for the US - for all who struggle and suffer under a lack of affordable health care. Here it's free .. to a degree. We have Medicare - it works. People keep wanting to meddle with it ..

This is what is so aggravating about our health insurance/health care system--people keep claiming that it isn't affordable but, in reality, it is. Of course, it isn't affordable when your highest aspiration is working at Wal-Mart or Burger King and you want $15 per hour. If you want good health care, get some computer skills and get a better job. Or, if your primary goal is "I want affordable, quality medical coverage" then join the military and go on TriCare. Of course, if your number one goal in life is "affordable, quality medical coverage" then we need to address your system of priorities....

Yes, there are people with pre-existing conditions for whom health coverage is either not available or, if available, not affordable by any stretch of the imagination. That is a shame, but sometimes the genetic lottery gives people a losing situation (presuming the condition didn't happen from an accident or some sort of negligent injury suffered at the workplace or by exposure to some substance).

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 64, 65, 66  Next
Page 65 of 66

Jump to: