Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beef Stock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vader
Black

Male

6916 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:14 am    Post subject: Beef Stock Reply with quote

I got two pots with each with 5 liters of homemade beef stock gently simmering on the oven. One is a basic fond blanc (a light-golden one, basis for soups) and the other a fond brun (a dark brown rich fond I use for gravy).

I wish the brown one was veal but I didn't get any bones so beef will do as well. When done it will be reduced until it's thick and gelatinous.

The smell already is fantastic ...
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
147602 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yumm, Vader.

Do you roast your bones first?
I do my beef stock like my tomato sauce, overnight in the oven set at about 250F for 12 hours.
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

27481 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheeesh...all your talk about prep/recipes Vader, and the stuff you say about plating....if I ever get back to Europe, I'm gonna knock on your door and beg for a meal.
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Vader
Black

Male

6916 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the dark fond I put the bones with a bit of butter fat on a deep tray and roast them in the oven (without burning them to avoid bitterness). I then add diced carrots, celeriac, onions, garlic and leek and let brown a bit. I strain off the excess fat and put everything into a big pot. I also add lots of beef to the bones.

I then put the tray on the cooker, add a bit of tomato puree and let it slightly roast. I deglace it with red wine, let it reduce and it starts roasting again, deglace it again with red wine and so on. I do this three times before I add this pan drippings/wine/tomato puree stuff to the cooking pot. In goes lots of water, a bit of diced /skinned and seeds reduced) tomato, bay leaves, thyme, flat parsley and a few pepper corns.

Then I bring it to the boil and let simmer uncovered for at least 4 hours, skimming off the grey foam every now and then. When it's finished I strain it to a sieve (sometimes even to a piece of cloth) to get it clear. After cooling down I remove some more fat and then brting it to the boil again and let reduce A LOT.

The light fond is simpler. I just put beef and bones with carrots, celeriac, onion, leek, bay leaves, flat parsley and a few pepper corns into a pot, add water and let cook for hours.

As you might notice I don't add salt. It would get too salty when being reduced heavily.

@Vraith

Let me know when and where. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: