Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Lord Elena
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

9280 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've said a few times, I'm not a big fan of Elena. Laughing But she certainly was interesting, and important.
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd
Würm

Male

641 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Arghule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindatur wrote:
Jonnyredleader, this is a 1st and 2nd Chronicles Forum. Final Chronicles details should either be left out, or be spoiler marked

Spoilers are preferably left out due to humanity's innately curious nature.

When two people dream the same dream, it ceases to be an illusion.

The shadow of the axe hangs over every joy.

sindatur
The Grey Owl Wizard

Male

6332 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd wrote:
sindatur wrote:
Jonnyredleader, this is a 1st and 2nd Chronicles Forum. Final Chronicles details should either be left out, or be spoiler marked

Heh, yea, tell me 'bout it. Can't tell you how many times, Curiousity killed something for this cat, 'cause it was just sitting there in a spoiler wrapped bag looking all tantalizing, and I couldn't resist Shocked Laughing

Though, I have managed to keep myself out of the AATE Forum, since I haven't had a chance to finish the book yet, so, there is at least that restraint.

Remember, everytime you drag someone through the mud, you're down in the mud with them

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Where are we going...and... WHY are we in a handbasket?

TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd
Würm

Male

641 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Arghule

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sindatur wrote:
sindatur wrote:

Heh, yea, tell me 'bout it. Can't tell you how many times, Curiousity killed something for this cat, 'cause it was just sitting there in a spoiler wrapped bag looking all tantalizing, and I couldn't resist Shocked Laughing

Though, I have managed to keep myself out of the AATE Forum, since I haven't had a chance to finish the book yet, so, there is at least that restraint.

Yet it's really quite obvious, even before reading, that this time around
Spoiler:
everybody dies.
Laughing

Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7213 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the assist, Sind!

To continue the discussion, I think the main difference between Elena and Linden is that Elena didn't believe in herself. She didn't trust herself to resist Despair which is why she summoned Kevin to fight Despair for her, like Covenant relied on Elena to fight for him. In both cases, the results were catastrophic.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd
Würm

Male

641 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Arghule

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:

To continue the discussion, I think the main difference between Elena and Linden is that Elena didn't believe in herself. She didn't trust herself to resist Despair which is why she summoned Kevin to fight Despair for her, like Covenant relied on Elena to fight for him. In both cases, the results were catastrophic.

"Elena didn't believe in herself." Cite?

jonnyredleader
Elohim

Male

785 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure it was that, Elena and the lords were frustrated at their inability to unlock kevins wards. They already felt inferior and wanted something to strike back with, hence summoning covenant in the first place. Couple this with Elena's hero worship of the old lords and it was an obvious choice for her as she knew her limitations but overestimated kevins
rdhopeca
Ur-Lord Author and Musician

MaleRanyhyn

2328 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2008 Watchies1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist and Faith wrote:
As I've said a few times, I'm not a big fan of Elena. Laughing But she certainly was interesting, and important.

And hot. You forgot hot. Love grin

"Progress is made. Be warned."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Phoogle Map
jonnyredleader
Elohim

Male

785 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definately hot!!SRD makes a big deal in the book about how hot she is and how other influential characters are in love with her. Theres no real mention of lindens physical appeal or that she attracts anyone or has any sexual urges or desires, for an adult fantasy that always struck me as odd given the number of books she appears in and how character and emotional development is important part of SRDs writing. I think that's significant because apart from the infamous sexual assault on Lena there is little to no sexual encounters or discussion used throughout all the books. maybe that's why linden refuses to convince me and elena felt like something real.
Thomas and linden seem to keep a platonic distance even though quite clearly he's in love, with Elena it's overt and declared physically and in how she behaves to him.
drew
Haligonian

Male

920 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyredleader wrote:

Thomas and linden seem to keep a platonic distance even though quite clearly he's in love, with Elena it's overt and declared physically and in how she behaves to him.

Covenant and Linden are screwing each other half of the voyage back from the One Tree.

Remember, the Giants start teasing them about it, and Covenant complains about everyone on the ship knowing his business??
the kind you keep for a really long time
jonnyredleader
Elohim

Male

785 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree but I as a reader I'm not emotionally convinced, maybe that says more about me Sad
Cambo
Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, one of the first things we learn about Linden is that she "had a figure men might find desirable" (or something like that). Not much is made of this because Linden just doesn't think of herself that way, and Covenant is more interested in her for not being afraid of him.

http://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
peter
the spider from Mars

28433 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linden having 'a figure men might find desirable' is of no consequence in the face of knowing her so intimately that all her desirability is crushed beyond repair. Once her charachter is known her physical atrributes pale into insignificance - exept of course to TC, and lets face it, he hasn't got much choice; she's the only woman from his universe this side of the arch of time.
No, Elena's appeal is much more grounded in her open nature and freedom from guilt. She accepts her love for TC as a thing of beauty - and is prepared to accept his in return without judgement or regret. I don't buy that she had a lack of self-belief - all of her actions tell a different story; one of a self-assured woman who is at peace with who she is and her origins and also where she is going.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
jonnyredleader
Elohim

Male

785 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not have put that better, I find Elena completely disarming, don't get me wrong, I like linden avery shes stable and conscientious and her actions always come good but it's for those reasons she doesn't even hit my radar, Elena burned bright and was just so passionate and open that I created a flaw and a lack of balance, she wasn't insane she just couldn't dial down her feelings and I love her for that
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7213 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:

In the uncut version, Elena confides in Covenant that she "didn't quite feel up to the task of facing the Despiser... also, I'm only coming on to you because I feel Orlion is way out of my league... so, I guess I'll settle for you."

Indeed, that is how it happened Big Grin

Edit: Upon doing some quick research, it seems that Elena isn't as distrustful of herself as my statement implied. Actually, according to Donaldson, she was damn sure of herself. I still think I'm slightly right (though mostly wrong) in this aspect: Elena did recognize a problem in her facing Foul, but she was confident she found an answer to that in summoning Kevin from beyond. So... kinda like Johnnyredleader said, if I recall.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd
Würm

Male

641 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Arghule

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
Orlion wrote:

In the uncut version, Elena confides in Covenant that she "didn't quite feel up to the task of facing the Despiser... also, I'm only coming on to you because I feel Orlion is way out of my league... so, I guess I'll settle for you."

Indeed, that is how it happened Big Grin

Edit: Upon doing some quick research, it seems that Elena isn't as distrustful of herself as my statement implied. Actually, according to Donaldson, she was damn sure of herself. I still think I'm slightly right (though mostly wrong) in this aspect: Elena did recognize a problem in her facing Foul, but she was confident she found an answer to that in summoning Kevin from beyond. So... kinda like Johnnyredleader said, if I recall.

Elena wouldn't have anything to do with you obviously - because you're not related to her.

Elena's statements to Covenant at Earthroot show that she was very single-minded in her approach to dealing with Foul, she found no logic against her position to be unassailable. That sounds like a case of extreme self-confidence as far as this laser beam-like focus of hers was concerned. And why not? The EarthBlood was supposed to be nearly all-powerful. But she was also fully aware of the limits of their power against Foul's army without the EarthBlood or wild magic. That is not a lack of self-confidence, that is realism.

Last edited by TheWormoftheWorld'sEnd on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonnyredleader
Elohim

Male

785 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided after all these years to have another read, well actually I downloaded the audiobook to give myself a different experience. Have to say now I'm used to the narraters voice it's really quite good, great to hear some correct pronounciation and inflections in the dialogue. well so far so good Elena sounds very empathic, caring and understanding high lord with a weight of responsibility for the lands defence against impossible odds. They are desperate, they haven't mastered any of the wards, have not unlocked the full potential of the staff of law, discovered foul has the illearth stone and is ready to begin his assault soon. They summon covenant because they know they are already doomed and only he can save them and the land. But part of fouls plan is to force them to summon TC as he told the lords where the staff of law was, the instrument of summoning. He put the lords and Elena in an impossible position, watch the land be corrupted or summon the only person that might save them. When covenant refuses to use the whitegold he forces Elena to take other drastic measures to save the land and it's people, it just doesn't go the way she hoped...
Horrim Carabal
Unlikely Ally

Male

37 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Earthblood1 Glimmermere1 Croyel

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elena is Britney Spears.

Linden is Lindsay Lohan.
Barnetto
Elohim

407 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Berek Tapestry1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Fire Lion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyredleader wrote:
Definately hot!!SRD makes a big deal in the book about how hot she is and how other influential characters are in love with her. Theres no real mention of lindens physical appeal or that she attracts anyone or has any sexual urges or desires, for an adult fantasy that always struck me as odd given the number of books she appears in and how character and emotional development is important part of SRDs writing. I think that's significant because apart from the infamous sexual assault on Lena there is little to no sexual encounters or discussion used throughout all the books. maybe that's why linden refuses to convince me and elena felt like something real.

And let's not forget the Lady Alif......
ninjaboy
Son of Insequent

Male

1896 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Horrim Carabal wrote:
Elena is Britney Spears.

Linden is Lindsay Lohan.

What is this?

I don't even..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: