Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tea Time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JazFusion
For Your Internets

Female

783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:58 am    Post subject: Tea Time Reply with quote

I know most, if not all, Americans have no specific tea time. I am sad for it. But despite the fact I don't set aside a specific time every day to drink tea, I love drinking tea.

I'm a huge fan of Jasmine tea and Earl Grey. I've also been experimenting with herbal teas and I love love love wintergreen tea.

What's your favorite tea? Do you take it plain, with cream and sugar or just honey?
Vain
Deus Ex Machina

Male

6490 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Rubber Duck1 Foul Duck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooibos tea - with milk and sugar. Apparently it's meant to have neither

I have a bucket list
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Phoogle Map
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roobius has a strong flavor, so a bit of milk is all right. Lately, I've been drinking most of my tea plain (that's Earl Gray, Chai, English Breakfast, Green, etc). What I'm looking for right now is some fabled "yellow tea". It's wilted longer than white tea, but isn't fermented as long as black tea.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Damelon
Lord

2051 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darjeeling is my favorite. Just a sprinkle of sugar in it.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damelon wrote:

That's another I need to try. What kind do you get?

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1659 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Breakfast with a tag, ceramic mug, bag is squeezed then sugar (artificial for me) added, then milk.
Stirring spoon remains in mug during drinking.

Any variation of the above is blasphemy.
A smaller teacup substitution is allowed but it's a waste of time.

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

8518 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regular tea is great. I love Plantation Mint, which is spearmint. (Jaz, what brand wintergreen tea do you get? I love wintergreen, and want to try it!) Any chai is great. Cranberry Cove too.
Zarathustra
Be True

18128 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our newest neighbors are from India. After trying several of their teas, I'll never drink a pre-packaged chai tea again. Get yourself some cloves, green cardamom, and black tea (preferrably from an Indian grocery), grind it up and boil it with milk and water. It's absolutely unbelievably good.

Also, ginger tea from freshly ground ginger is awesome.

My son brought me some green tea that his teacher gave him as a gift. It's the real deal, from China. Loose leaf stuff you have strain. It made me realize that the packaged green tea bags I've been buying are just about worthless. They're a pale imitation of the real thing.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

27527 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to push a discovery again since this is came up...but first: yea, Z. I discovered the difference in Chai during a study-abroad class in London.

Anyway, here's my discovery:

http://www.phoenixherbcompany.com/

They have teas, health herbs and culinary herbs and spices. I don't know about the health herbs, but I have gotten many teas, and dozens of culinary herbs/spices. The prices are extremely low for most things, even including shipping costs, and I haven't been disappointed in a single product.
Some of the products are clickable for a more detailed description [which sometime is, sometimes isn't really helpful].
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Zarathustra
Be True

18128 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V, that looks interesting. I'll have to check them out in more detail later. My supply of green tea is running low, and I was worried where I'd get such high quality locally. This might be the ticket.

The chai tea ingredient list I gave above should be easy enough to find locally for most people. Everyone can get cloves. Cardamom is easier to get that I feared, once I started looking for it. I prefer it in the green pods, because I assume it's fresher. The black tea is the hard part. I've never seen anything like it. It's tiny black/brown nuggets, and not a leaf at all. Maybe it's easier to get than I realize, but the Indian grocery always has it dirt cheap, so I haven't looked many places. All the ingredients, in fact, are very cheap when you buy them individually. Grinding them yourself is kind of fun and definitely the best way to get the maximum amount of flavor.

For two cups of water, I use three tablespoons of black tea, 5 cloves, 7 cardamom pods, and a cup of milk. Strain and enjoy with your favorite sweetener.

[Note: You can add cinnamon, but it try it without first. It already has a very spicy flavor at that point. Cinnamon didn't make it any better, in my opinion. Just "busier."]
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
stonemaybe
not quite might

8682 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 The Icewalls1 Iksphikix1 Fragment of the Illearth Stone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tea does 'tea' have to be? If infusions are ok, then ginger and lemon (with a widdershins stir, of course!), if not then yuck! to all tea!

(:/>
JazFusion
For Your Internets

Female

783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist and Faith wrote:
Regular tea is great. I love Plantation Mint, which is spearmint. (Jaz, what brand wintergreen tea do you get? I love wintergreen, and want to try it!) Any chai is great. Cranberry Cove too.

I haven't found any sort of wintergreen tea at any local stores. Of course, no stores around here sell quality tea ingredients, but I digress.

I actually ended up making wintergreen tea when my husband, son and I went for a walk in the woods. We came across a patch of it and started eating it, and then I thought, "This could probably make some great tea". So after some heavy research on the internet, I made some.

I fermented a handful of the leaves in some water first (about a day or two in a tightly lidded container in a warm area of the house, away from light), then tore the leaves and threw them into some boiling water. I boiled them for a couple of minutes, strained the leaves and enjoyed!

Be warned, though, that wintergreen oil contains acetylsalicylic acid (the analgesic in aspirin) and I believe one fluid ounce of it is toxic. Of course, I don't think a handful of wintergreen is enough to make one fluid ounce of oil, but if for medical reasons you shouldn't take aspirin, you also shouldn't make wintergreen tea. And I wouldn't let my son drink it, needless to say.

However, after making wintergreen tea, I've been obsessed with making all sorts of herbal teas now. I plan on buying a forest foraging book when I have the money.
JazFusion
For Your Internets

Female

783 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
V, that looks interesting. I'll have to check them out in more detail later. My supply of green tea is running low, and I was worried where I'd get such high quality locally. This might be the ticket.

The chai tea ingredient list I gave above should be easy enough to find locally for most people. Everyone can get cloves. Cardamom is easier to get that I feared, once I started looking for it. I prefer it in the green pods, because I assume it's fresher. The black tea is the hard part. I've never seen anything like it. It's tiny black/brown nuggets, and not a leaf at all. Maybe it's easier to get than I realize, but the Indian grocery always has it dirt cheap, so I haven't looked many places. All the ingredients, in fact, are very cheap when you buy them individually. Grinding them yourself is kind of fun and definitely the best way to get the maximum amount of flavor.

For two cups of water, I use three tablespoons of black tea, 5 cloves, 7 cardamom pods, and a cup of milk. Strain and enjoy with your favorite sweetener.

[Note: You can add cinnamon, but it try it without first. It already has a very spicy flavor at that point. Cinnamon didn't make it any better, in my opinion. Just "busier."]

That sounds amazing! I love chai tea. I will have to add that to my homemade tea list. I've found it much more flavorful and enjoyable since experimenting with homemade teas.

Oh, and some friends of mine got me some Jasmine green tea as a present that combines my love for tea and H.P. Lovecraft:

The leaves are actually rolled and then dehydrated, so it can actually make more than one cup of tea. The taste is much more sophisticated than what you get in generic tea bags.
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

27527 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing Laughing

Jaz, that's something if I saw it in a store I'd HAVE to buy it even if I didn't plan to drink it.
Years ago, m'friends and I would stalk the liquor stores for drink that sounded like you'd find it in DnD, or Shadowrun, or whatever we were playing that night. [heh...that's easy to do now, they name things like that on purpose...but it used to be more of an adventure.]

I would drink it, though...my favorite "just sitting here, being warm, comfy, and relaxed" tea.
[heh...same thing for Night-blooming Jasmine scent...though they aren't even in the same family, I don't think, despite the name]
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Damelon
Lord

2051 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
Damelon wrote:

I order mine from Stash Tea
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14430 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darjeeling's good. Haven't bought any in awhile. I might have to get some.

I've been drinking Irish breakfast tea in the morning. Mmm boy, that stuff will put hair on your chest! Laughing English breakfast is good, too.

I went through an Earl Grey period for awhile. It lasted longer than my Constant Comment period. Laughing

My favorite Stash tea is lemon ginger. Cool My other favorite herbal tea is chamomile, and sometimes I'll drink peppermint.

I've never tried to make my own tea, but making chai doesn't sound that hard -- thanks for the recipe, Z! Magickmaker's been on a chai kick. I should point this thread out to her.

I especially like jasmine tea in the little flower-petal balls -- one of my attorneys brought me back some from China, before it became a fad here in the States. I should get another box of those, now that they're easier to find here. And a glass teapot.

Hot tea is a must at a Chinese restaurant. Cool

Oh yeah -- I prefer my tea unpolluted. Wink Occasionally with milk. Never with <shudder> sugar.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
drew
Haligonian

Male

920 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chop up about half a teaspoon of fresh Ginger, and steep it hot water forabout five minutes, then I add a teaspoon of honey, and a teaspoon of lemon juice.

I modify this if I feela cold coming on:

Just before drinking said Honey-Lemon-Ginger tea; I'll add a crushed clove of garlic. When there is only a mouthfull left, I swallow the garlic and ginger pieces.

Since the garlic was sitting hot water for a while, it doesn't burn or anything. And Garlic and Ginger taste great together when cooking, so why not in a tea?

If you feel a col coming on, drink this before bed, I promise you'll wake up feeling great.
the kind you keep for a really long time
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add some black tea, drew, and you got yourself a chai Cool Ginger tea from fresh ginger is the best, I had it for the first time when I had this awful cough down in Nicaragua. The land lady suggested this, and it cleared it right up! It's also from her that I'll almost always use honey to sweeten any tea, true or herbal. Recently, though, I've found the sweetening has interfered with my appreciation of the flavor, so I've been drinking it straight (or with a bit of milk of it's a strong tea).

This morning I had me some English Breakfast tea and some crumpets I made topped with a couple of basted eggs.

Irish tea is good as well, and you can't beat fresh chamomile.
Sheesh, I've been drinking tea so much lately, I've gotten an electric kettle with a thermometer built in.

-John Crowley
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damelon wrote:
Orlion wrote:
Damelon wrote:

I order mine from Stash Tea

Thanks, Damelon!

-John Crowley
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

63934 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always avoid hot tea whenever possible. I do drink coffee, though. All the time. Every day.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: