Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmer Maggot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krazy Kat
~*~

88 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Farmer Maggot Reply with quote

There wasn't a thread devoted to Farmer Maggot so I thought I might make one, as I'm sure you will agree, he deserves a closer look.

When you consider that Farmer Maggot was around when Frodo was very young, which may have been about (only a guess, mind you) 40 years before Frodo left the area to move away and into Bilbo's home, then isn't it very strange that he and Mrs.Maggot still have small Hobbit children in the old farmhouse.

There's also a connexion within the story between Frodo's fear of Farmer Maggot, his fright at being chased off by the three dogs, and the way Sam was grossly mistreated by Gandalf. The two passages have very similiar themes running through them. What's going on here do you suppose?
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbits were always high on mushrooms. And sometimes it pissed Gandalf off if he was in low supply of his own weed.

Farmer Maggot was that local drug dealer. He had a strong pimp hand and kept his bitches in line. He had multiple wives and lots of bastard children. Frodo was one, hence the anger and friction between the two.

Gandalf was that region's drug lord and he used his "Rangers" to keep out the other drug cartels out of Hobbiton.
Everything got crazy in the LotR when Saruman tried moving in and take over.
And then a total drug war broke out when the Columbians....er I mean Mordor lost the monopoly on crack cocaine...er I mean the "ring".
That stuff was super addicting.
Who ever had this "ring" was totally addicted...I mean,corrupted by it.
Gandalf wouldn't even take a hit.
Saruman was so strung out on it he went insane. "Talking trees" was all he ever talked about.

Wait what was your question again?

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Thanked by: Cord Hurn
Krazy Kat
~*~

88 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Hobbits were always high on mushrooms. And sometimes it pissed Gandalf off if he was in low supply of his own weed.

Farmer Maggot was that local drug dealer. He had a strong pimp hand and kept his bitches in line. He had multiple wives and lots of bastard children. Frodo was one, hence the anger and friction between the two.

Gandalf was that region's drug lord and he used his "Rangers" to keep out the other drug cartels out of Hobbiton.
And then a total drug war broke out when the Columbians....er I mean Mordor lost the monopoly on crack cocaine...er I mean the "ring".
Who ever had this "ring" was totally addicted...I mean,corrupted by it.
Saruman was so strung out on it he went insane. "Talking trees" was all he ever talked about.

I agree with with most of what you say. I wouldn't have laid it on so thick though Big Grin

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
Wait what was your question again?

Put another way, has anyone else made the connexion between the two passages of the book. Or. Has anyone found Bilbo's buried treasure?

I never believed there was any buried treasure, not until Farmer Maggot mentions it. Then the pieces fell into place, and I now know where the treasure is buried.

Here's another question.
Which one of Farmer Maggot's dogs stops and growls at Frodo when they enter the farmer's lane. Was it Grip,Fang,or Wolf?

Quite an easy one this, and shouldn't give too much trouble working it out . Apply syntax logic. Wink
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1678 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing Fang. Because Frodo gets bit so many times later?

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Krazy Kat
~*~

88 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
I'm guessing Fang. Because Frodo gets bit so many times later?

At first, I thought that it had to be Wolf.
Something to do with the borrowing and taking away of the letter 'o'. Never mind!

Fang was the only dog that bared it's teeth. I too am guessing it was Fang.
Zarathustra
Be True

19650 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea what this discussion is about, but in Return of the Shadow, it is revealed that Tolkien considered making Farmer Maggot a creature like Tom Bombadil, and not a Hobbit at all.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
deer of the dawn
On a mission from God

FemaleRanyhyn

9313 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin1 Oath of Peace1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am literally laughing out loud.

But seriously, folks, Merry says that Maggot used to go into the Old Forest, and Tom Bombadil mentions him as a friend.

JRRT wrote:
...he made no secret that he owed his recent knowledge largely to Farmer Maggot, whom he seemed to regard as a person of more importance than they had imagined. "There's earth under his old feet, and clay on his fingers; wisdom in his bones, and both his eyes are open," said Tom.

JRRT has so much backstory to every character, place, and incident, that it is no surprise that Maggot only appears briefly but even his history tantalizes.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Photobucket is a bunch of everloving chickenpluckers. Rumfudgery!!! Cussing

May the I that is truly I
Sing to the Thou that is truly Thou.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

4154 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:

Who ever had this "ring" was totally addicted...I mean, corrupted by it.

I always suspected as much. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: