Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great chef's are always mad - and never on TV

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Has anyone ever eaten a good meal prepared by a 'celebrity chef'.
yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
no
100%
 100%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 3

peter
the spider from Mars

23991 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Great chef's are always mad - and never on TV Reply with quote

The art of Chefing - I should say The Great Art of Chefing - is as lonely and creative a process as old Micky d' Angelo lying on his lonesome back for 3 years under the ceiling of a church in Rome.
It does not include, nor ever will, the skill of being good in front of a tv camera - in fact it shuns such exposure being more fond of feuling itself (true artist style) with liver crushing quantities of alchohol in between it's bursts of creative genius. The two skills (Chef vs TV presenter) are mutually exclusive in many ways and the foul combination of the two in the 'Celebrity Chef' is an abomination to be avoided at all costs. As soon as a chef is placed in front of a camera he looses all (the limited) skills he ever possesed in the gastonomic area and becomes obsessed with fame and money to the exclusion of all else.
The true genius Chef would spit on such diversion of his artistic vision away from it's lonely quest - that of creation of the perfect meal from start to finish, with every sublime course better than the previous and bettered by the one that follows until the last and final post prandial chocolate.
On the contrary he, when not cooking will be found seething and wild eyed in the nether regions of the kitcken, cooking sherry in hand, as he plots his next assault on the portals of gastronomic perfection. Do not approach him wary reader, for he is both dangerous and unpredictable in his equivalent of the post-coital state.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

379 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I have had a stellar meal that was prepared by a celebrity chef...although he was not so at the time.

In late 1987, Dam-sel and I had brunch at Eileen Brennan's famous New Orleans restaurant, The Commanders Palace. No, this is not about Eileen!

The food was incredible. Most memorable was the dish Dam-sel had which consisted of two tenderloin medallions with contrasting sauces. Honestly, I don't remember too many other details...it was a very long time ago, but it was one of the two best restaurant meals I have ever had.

Bought a copy of The Commanders Palace Cookbook on the way out, and the host offered to have the chef sign it. It came back with an elaborate sketch of a chef's toque and the signature "Chef Emeril", a name that meant nothing in particular to me for the better part of a decade.

BAM!

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14311 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great story, SD! Smile

I ate at Jaleo in Crystal City a couple of years ago. Not being a foodie, I didn't realize Jose Andres was a big deal 'til we were on the way out, and saw a stack of his cookbooks on sale by the door.

Oh yeah, the food was really good. Smile I've posted a link here to the recipe for the Moroccan chickpea stew that I had that night. That stew has become one of my go-to wintertime meals.

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
peter
the spider from Mars

23991 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You Guy's may well not have heard of Gordon Ramsey, but few in the UK (or Australia I think) will not be aware of the foul mouthed Chef/Presenters antics both inside and away from the Kitchen.
In Dubai a few years ago my daughter was insistant that we went to his newish restaurant on the top floor of the Hilton and so off we trucked and were treated to a tolerable meal in niceish surroundings. I had pan fried foi gras, a filet de boeuf and a trio of desserts, washed down with whatever wine it was we thought appropriate (or could afford). I think it probably set me back around $300 at the time. It was not the best meal I have ever eaten but in fairness far from the worst (Jamie Oliver's '15' has that accolade).
Came back to the UK and some 6 months later happened to be looking at a restaurant review in the 'Times' and was interested to see that Mr G R's new venture in a hotel in New York was being appraised. The reviewer had started with pan fried fois gras, continued with a filet de boeuf and rounded of with a trio of desserts. Every dish he mentioned without exeption was a mirror image of the menue in Dubai and it was at that point I realised I had paid 275 for a glorified McDonalds. Oh well people - you live and learn! Laughing

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame... well, at least I won't make that mistake Razz The thing about celebrity chefs is that in the media, you know they are holding back. They have to, if they told you everything on TV, you'd have no reason to buy their books and if they told you everything in the book, there would be no reason to go to their restaurants!
Follow the dollar (or pound).

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: