Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Grandad Sandwich and other weird stuff that.......
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonemaybe
not quite might

8682 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 The Icewalls1 Iksphikix1 Fragment of the Illearth Stone

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The banana and peanut butter mentioned earlier is a fave of mine, with Branston Pickle on the other slice of bread.

Frozen blueberries in a pint of cider, or frozen gooseberries in a glass of savignon blanc, are the only others that come to mind right now.

(:/>
peter
the spider from Mars

29306 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonemaybe wrote:
The banana and peanut butter mentioned earlier is a fave of mine, with Branston Pickle on the other slice of bread.

Now that's just plain odd!

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cambo
Jack's Complete Lack of Surprise

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honey and vegemite toast. Only toast, cause you need to get that film that happens when you spread a little bit of vegemite over hot toast with butter/margerine, then put the honey over the top. More honey than vegemite, but don't smother it.

http://variousglimpses.wordpress.com
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14483 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just skip the Vegemite? <asked the American Wink >

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
148011 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking you need the saltiness to counter the sweetness, ali.
the spider from Mars

29306 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambo wrote:
Honey and vegemite toast. Only toast, cause you need to get that film that happens when you spread a little bit of vegemite over hot toast with butter/margerine, then put the honey over the top. More honey than vegemite, but don't smother it.

This is essentially the Grandad Sandwich mix without the peanut butter (try adding a bit some time for a WOW experience). I have never tried vegemite but I understand it to be pretty much like marmite but not quite as strong (Which may be to it's advantage - marmite packs a pretty powerful punch and is not to every ones taste).

As an aside here, some while ago a 'new taste' was added to the original four basic tastes of sweet, salt, bitter and sour. This taste was named Umami and was variously described as 'meaty', 'brothy' or 'savory'. This does not seem very satisfactory to me as firstly I am not at all suse that the above descriptions are not just combinations of the four basic tastes above (eg meaty could be salt with a bit of added sweet etc), and secondly the four basics can very simply be reuced to one simple food item that epitomises that particular taste eg salt - salt, sweet - sugar etc. The same does not appear to be true for meaty, brothy and savory to me.
BUT (and here is where all this was leading) if we do allow umami as a distinct taste in its own right then I think Marmite or its antipodean equivalent Vegemite might be the taste that is most closely tryng to be described by the proposers of the 5th taste.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cambo

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...are there any examples given as to which foods can be said to have an Umani taste?

Also, I should point out that English marmite is very different to the Marmite we get down here. Yours is much thinner- closer in consistency to liquid honey- and waaay stronger. We have a product called Marmite, but it's much closer in taste and texture to Vegemite. When I had Marmite in England, I was shocked!

Plus, I've tried the grandad sandwich- although not with English Marmite, which would be tricky to find here- and I have to say there's a distinct difference you get on the toast. I reckon it comes from the way the melted butter and the vegemite combine before the honey- kind of like how the combination of the butter and the flour in a white sauce makes all the difference Big Grin .

aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14483 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menolly wrote:

Oh, I'm sure the Vegemite adds something to the taste. I'm just being an "ugly American" and questioning whether the added taste is necessary -- or even desirable. Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7213 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umami is an excuse to charge more for a plate of food. I don't believe it, I tend to side with peter on this. The fact you can describe Umami outside of that term should be proof enough that there is no fifth taste bud. I mean, try describing salty, sweet, bitter, or sour. You can't.

I need to find out what this marmite stuff is.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
peter
the spider from Mars

29306 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
Oh yes to that!
Yes Cambo the toast thing is definitely there. I've done the Grandad thing on toast or in sandwhiches over the years and totally agree the heat of the toast performs some weird 'chemistry' on the ingredients until some form of magic occurs (what is that word in science where things turn out to be greater than the sum of their parts - incidentally, that has to be the 'art ' of great cooking - being more than just the sum of the different constituents - as opposed to just good cooking - the sum of the constituents, or indeed my cooking which defies all the known Laws of science in that all food quality instantaniously vanishes from anything I touch in a kitchen and it immediately becomes just dead organic matter).

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cambo

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
Menolly wrote:

Oh, I'm sure the Vegemite adds something to the taste. I'm just being an "ugly American" and questioning whether the added taste is necessary -- or even desirable. Laughing

This from the people who popularised the "peanut butter and jelly" sandwich, and came up with packaged pancake and sausage on a stick?? Wink

Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28596 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
Umami is an excuse to charge more for a plate of food. I don't believe it, I tend to side with peter on this. The fact you can describe Umami outside of that term should be proof enough that there is no fifth taste bud. I mean, try describing salty, sweet, bitter, or sour. You can't.

I don't know about that, there seem to be specific physical receptors for this particular taste, chemically distinct from the other 4, as opposed to just a mixture of them. And describing it in terms of other things is just part of the evolution of communication [the water from this place tastes different than river water...what will we call it?...how about "salty." now you don't have to describe it as "the flavor of water in which the giant fish that eats people lives."]
I don't know why you'd be able to charge more cash for food though...it's in normal stuff that peeps eat...not like you have to hand-raise some rare umami-beast [or grow delicate umami flowers].
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
the spider from Mars

29306 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh Vraith. The pricing of food in restaurants has as much to do with 'fashion' and 'vogue' as to do with what is on the plate and how much skill goes into preparing it. I mean think of it 'Umami - the New Taste'. Hell the word even has a trendy Japanese sound to it. This would go down a bomb in Soho or Grenwich Village and put pounds and pounds on the price of a meal. As an interesting exercise in seeing where the science of gastronomy is going check out ferran Adria's El Bulli (now sadly closed) on YouTube.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14483 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambo wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Menolly wrote:

This from the people who popularised the "peanut butter and jelly" sandwich, and came up with packaged pancake and sausage on a stick?? Wink

There's nothing wrong with a good PB&J! Wink The pancake-and-sausage thing, tho -- wait, are you talking about corn dogs? Those are pretty tasty! Big Grin

EZ Board Survivor

rdhopeca
Ur-Lord Author and Musician

MaleRanyhyn

2328 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2008 Watchies1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
Cambo wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Menolly wrote:

There's nothing wrong with a good PB&J! Wink The pancake-and-sausage thing, tho -- wait, are you talking about corn dogs? Those are pretty tasty! Big Grin

nothing beats a Texas State Fair corn dog with yellow mustard. nothing.

"Progress is made. Be warned."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Phoogle Map
Cambo

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
Cambo wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Menolly wrote:

I don't actually know what a corn dog is, but I'm pretty sure it's different to pancake and sausage on a stick, which is actually branded as....Pancake-and-Sausage-on-a-Stick. Rolling Eyes Saw it on the Colbert Report, I believe. It's made by some major American food company.
Also, I agree there's nothing wrong with a good PB&J (the J, of course, standing for jam. Jelly is what you have with ice cream on Christmas Wink )

rdhopeca
Ur-Lord Author and Musician

MaleRanyhyn

2328 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2008 Watchies1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cambo wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Cambo wrote:
aliantha wrote:
Menolly wrote:

I don't actually know what a corn dog is, but I'm pretty sure it's different to pancake and sausage on a stick, which is actually branded as....Pancake-and-Sausage-on-a-Stick. Rolling Eyes Saw it on the Colbert Report, I believe. It's made by some major American food company.
Also, I agree there's nothing wrong with a good PB&J (the J, of course, standing for jam. Jelly is what you have with ice cream on Christmas Wink )

http://growinggourmets.blogspot.com/2010/08/texas-state-fair-corn-dogs.html

"Progress is made. Be warned."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Phoogle Map
Cambo

Ranyhyn

2052 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH! See, in New Zealand, we call those "hot dogs," and you buy them at Fish 'n' Chip shops. What you guys call hot dogs, we call "American Hot Dogs." Pretty imaginative, huh? Laughing
Hot dogs, corn dogs, whatever...I agree, they are delicious! And a far cry from this

aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14483 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my GODS, that looks gross. Throwup

<waits patiently for someone to say how tasty it would be>

EZ Board Survivor

Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
148011 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
<waits patiently for someone to say how tasty it would be>

I haven't had boxed premade ones, but have made these myself with home made pancakes, pan fried sausage links, and some intense grade B real maple syrup for dipping. Wrap the pancake around the pan fried sausage link, secure with toothpicks, insert a skewer and serve with a side of syrup.

...and yep. At least my home made ones are pretty tasty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: