Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Game of Thrones
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harbinger
saving up for a private island

936 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: A Game of Thrones Reply with quote

Saw the first episode over the weekend. Pretty cool. Realized it was from some book I read many years ago. The white walkers are coming.
SerScot
That GRRM fan. ;) (7/12/11)

Male

21770 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Revelwood

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: A Game of Thrones Reply with quote

Harbinger,

Harbinger wrote:
Saw the first episode over the weekend. Pretty cool. Realized it was from some book I read many years ago. The white walkers are coming.

"The Others" man "The Others". The others take the hindmost.
Zahir
Malkavian Primogen

4921 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actor playing Tyrion is very lucky to have just a juicy role.
Let my name be in the Book of Love!" --Omar Khayam
Worm of Despite
Banned

Male

12067 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
2 Foul Duck1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the guy they cast for Tyrion. Of course, he's nowhere near as Impish and malformed as I imagined him in the book, but such things are petty details.

The third episode is the best yet, and I've rarely been more excited when Sunday night rolls around!
Akasri
Haruchai

1643 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Dinklage is "prettier" than I imagined Tyrion when reading the books - but he's nailed the character in every other way. All the casting is great, but that one in particular worked out very well.
Holsety
Full of Hot Air

MaleRanyhyn

1370 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Captains Fancy1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Peter Dinklage, I reccomend the Station Agent. Spectacular! Want to see his other stuff.
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8534 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holsety wrote:
If you like Peter Dinklage, I reccomend the Station Agent. Spectacular! Want to see his other stuff.

also 13 Moons.

i have not read the source material, but have enjoyed it so far. little lost at times because i catch it when i can. the guy playing the viking type chief is also excellent. the language is well done that he speaks.
Doc Hexnihilo
Highly cosmopolitan

Male

8813 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched this entire series with on demand the other day. It may be the best HBO series ever. I'm awaiting season two with breathless anticipation.

"It is not the responsibility of knights errant to discover whether the afflicted, the enchained and the oppressed whom they encounter on the road are reduced to these circumstances and suffer this distress for their vices, or for their virtues: the knight's sole responsibility is to succour them as people in need, having eyes only for their sufferings, not for their misdeeds." – Don Quixote

*The poster formerly known as Exnihilo, Exnihilo2, Exnihilotto, Ron Burgunihilo, Don Exnihilote, Mongnihilo, and counting...
Zarathustra
Be True

13861 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It comes out on Blu-ray next week. Is it worth $40? I love the books, btw. I just started ADWD.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Ananda
All hail Eris!

Female

4321 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Oath of Peace1 Love

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've never read the books, but we've really enjoyed the serial. Just wish it had more episodes per series. The acting is good, the effects and sets are very nice.
And as fast as they can
Zarathustra
Be True

13861 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. How many episodes?
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7172 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Thanks. How many episodes?

...eightish? Essentially, it's the same as the book. If you've read the book, you've seen the show, if you've seen the show, you've read the book. I suppose it's worth a watch, but I wouldn't spend $40 on it.

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

19808 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The season is 10 episodes.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
DoctorGamgee
Sandgorgon in training...

Male

7913 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Season 1 when it came out. Then I read the books, (which helped tremendously, as they so often name someone and you don't see him for a show and a half, then bring him back and you are to know that he was mentioned earlier).

I am in the middle of book 4 and enjoying every page.

Doc
Doc Hexnihilo
Highly cosmopolitan

Male

8813 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
It comes out on Blu-ray next week. Is it worth $40? I love the books, btw. I just started ADWD.

The visuals are nice, along the same lines as "Rome" if you've seen that series, possibly even more striking. I anticipate that I will buy the Bluray at some point. But the story and the acting is the real star of the show. That would come across at low res.

"It is not the responsibility of knights errant to discover whether the afflicted, the enchained and the oppressed whom they encounter on the road are reduced to these circumstances and suffer this distress for their vices, or for their virtues: the knight's sole responsibility is to succour them as people in need, having eyes only for their sufferings, not for their misdeeds." – Don Quixote

*The poster formerly known as Exnihilo, Exnihilo2, Exnihilotto, Ron Burgunihilo, Don Exnihilote, Mongnihilo, and counting...
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7172 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Burgunihilo wrote:
Zarathustra wrote:

The visuals are nice, along the same lines as "Rome" if you've seen that series, possibly even more striking. I anticipate that I will buy the Bluray at some point. But the story and the acting is the real star of the show. That would come across at low res.

I think the story was too HBO-ized. But that's just my opinion, it was still entertaining.

And before everyone starts thinking I only have bad things to say about the show, I'll agree with everyone that the acting is fan-f*&*ing-tastic.

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
DoctorGamgee
Sandgorgon in training...

Male

7913 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I get what you are saying, Orlion. While much of the story is spot on for the books, there are scenes where you go, '¿Como?' Renly's shaving scene, for instance. Where did that come from? Not the book (at least the 3.5 that I have read). A bit of pandering, perhaps.

However, I have been delighted with the story in both forms. And the acting is supurb. I will be curious to see how they handle book two. Only a few more weeks until April 1st when the next book comes to HBO.

Doc
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7172 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorGamgee wrote:
No, I get what you are saying, Orlion. While much of the story is spot on for the books, there are scenes where you go, '¿Como?' Renly's shaving scene, for instance. Where did that come from? Not the book (at least the 3.5 that I have read). A bit of pandering, perhaps.

However, I have been delighted with the story in both forms. And the acting is supurb. I will be curious to see how they handle book two. Only a few more weeks until April 1st when the next book comes to HBO.

Doc

That is exactly the scene I was thinking of!

-John Crowley
Zarathustra
Be True

13861 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I streamed the first episode, to make sure it was something my wife would like to watch with me (otherwise, I'm content just to read the books ... watching should be a group activity, imo). So we're going to buy the Blu-ray today.

My wife is way too good at guessing exactly what's going to happen. I mean, end of the book kind of stuff. Watching the actors, I think they might be giving away too much with their expressions. Also, that scene with Jon Arryn's body and the Lannisters at the beginning may have been too revealing. Or maybe Ki is just a lot better than me at guessing the end.

The guy playing Tyrion would have been a better choice if I hadn't recently seen him on a 30 Rock rerun. Shouldn't he be uglier? The rest of the actors/actresses seem fine. Viserys is great. Ned is great. I can't wait to see the kids in action, especially Arya. I have no idea how that little girl is going to pull off her character. I hope she's a lot better than she seems now.

finn
A Pirate looking back..........

Male

Location: At the back of the boat, playing guitar, drinking rum.
4854 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it last week and really liked it; the guy in the video shop described it as "The Sopranos do Dungeons and Dragons" and that pretty much says it! Laughing

"Terrorism is war by the poor, and war is terrorism by the rich"

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well."

"The opposite of pro-life isn't pro-death. Y'know?"

"What if the Hokey Cokey really is what its all about?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> TV Shows All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: