Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Defense of Linden Avery and Donaldson (weak, disorganized)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holsety
Full of Hot Air

MaleRanyhyn

1370 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Captains Fancy1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 pm    Post subject: Defense of Linden Avery and Donaldson (weak, disorganized) Reply with quote

It has been some time since I have returned to The Land as a safe haven for my mind from the ravages of everyday life. I have not, in fact, consulted Stephen R Donaldson's version of its teachings, but merely my own.

At some point, in my egotism, I claimed I had defeated SRD prematurely at his own school, in the same way that he claimed he was a greater master than the shotokan (spelling?) karate master he served under for the greater number of disciples his books proved he had.

I have no further fully abstracted lessons to gleam, I believe, from the chronicles of Thomas Covenant. But I am going to buy Against All Things Ending and read them if I have the time anyway. Why? Stephen R Donaldson is a brilliant author, and before my death I'd like to finish his third attempt at a lesson every fiber of existence learned before me - as far as I can tell (perhaps we all learned it at the same time, and are different parts in denial over it, perhaps time is an illusion for all pieces of the universe but me alone).

As I remember it, Thomas's initial words as being ripped from the arch of time are "why" or something, an ambiguous why which Linden takes as a sign of her failure but which, upon reflection, may mean more.

SPOILERS FOR AGAINST ALL THINGS ENDING
Spoiler:
I seem to remember reading the first chapter teaser and being surprised to see that Linden is reassured quickly by Thomas that she has done the right thing.

Regardless of what it means, for Linden herself it is likely to be a crushing blow: anxiety over her need to lean on another hero of the Land for support rather than take all upon herself. Here, I think, is the key. Linden felt the need for support, therefore it was necessary for her to have the support, even if no one understands why she needed the support with so much of the land's defense behind her. This is the basic rule of the universe I now believe: each person's biography showed that, every step of the way, they could've been something grander, better, with more help, and the key is to know when to ask for it and when not to. I cannot remember whether Linden strategised Thomas's return or not, but remember this: in war, the most finely detailed strategies are, by virtue of their many facets, most likely to shatter. With good tactics, however, one might well keep a too-complex strategy one couldn't hold together for a good long time before it finally shatters.

If I am the last soldier in Linden Avery's army on the watch, I will still say that she has done all she can to serve the land, that she has done it well, and that if she fails, All Beauty Shall Not Pass Utterly, for some new defender will rise, I would like to believe, to take her place. Either over the land, the earth, or both of them simultaneously.

I have a friend who consistently asks me what my totem is. The idea is that one's totem is what one chases after throughout one's life, never quite achieving it. Linden's totem now seems to be her son. The Land, I believe, protects her from the belief that he could be in any way responsible for what is happening to him by constantly creating new things - the return of the croyel, for example - to defend her from the idea that her son is willingly choosing the land, foul, anything over earth and her. And, to some extent, it is a protection of her own choice - if indeed she made it? - to live on earth rather than the land, to take the ugly over the beautiful, the banal over the fantastic.

Each and every fragment of existence comes to favor some fragments over others. Each shard of god does not merely play favorites, but actually has favorites, and it is folly to deny otherwise. My favorite is a tie between my self and all others. Every time I try and overcome this in either direction - to do something for myself or for others - the balance is maintained, but I don't fully see it, which is a blessing we all share.

George RR Martin was recently declared the American Tolkien. Why? Because of good marketing. A force more potent than a writer's skill.

Donaldson, who already achieved the laurels of America's Tolkien in an earlier decade, AFAIK, without a TV series to supplement him, is for my money, and my taste, better, because his sympathy for evil is more open and taught me more than Martin's lack of trust and political intrigues - Donaldson feels like the Strong Nuclear Force to Martin's Weak nuclear force, both critical to the universe but the strong, the binding, the equalizing, the unifying being the one I always aspire to. (because I am so bad at it)

The land is real Very Happy And I need to read the Last Chronicles to their completion!!!!! DO IT STEPHEN R DONALDSON! In your skills as a writer I believe.
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

35074 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue about some of the details, but basically agree with the general thrust. Go Linden, Go SRD.
I am Vraith, and I approve this message.
-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male

Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland
7687 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered1 Member of THOOLAH1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*disapproval*

I am fruit and I am THOOLAH.
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

35074 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ussusimiel wrote:
*disapproval*

While you and THOOLAH are technically fruits, you function like vegetables.

edited to add: SEE? I TOLD you I'm way funny.
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male

7687 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:
While you and THOOLAH are technically fruits, you function like vegetables.

Smile Very Happy Laughing Big Grin Mr. Green Hysterical LOL

(Is this the first time you've ever had these in response to a post?)

Yes, THOOLAH are indeed deeply grounded and good for your health!

EDIT: [BTW, this is my 200th post!]
Holsety
Full of Hot Air

MaleRanyhyn

1370 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ussusimiel wrote:
*disapproval*

What the **** kind of fruit is that anyway???
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

35074 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holsety wrote:
ussusimiel wrote:
*disapproval*

What the **** kind of fruit is that anyway???

It is a squash [his version, and hence name, from the 2nd chron's.] Squash is technically a fruit [scientifically defined], though because it has low sugar, and the way it is used in food, is treated as a vegetable.

In particular...though its been a while...that one LOOKS like a butternut squash. Which is perfect since U. is both slippery and crazy.
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male

7687 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:
In particular...though its been a while...that one LOOKS like a butternut squash. Which is perfect since U. is both slippery and crazy.

So kind of you to notice ....... Embarassed
Holsety
Full of Hot Air

MaleRanyhyn

1370 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am used to squashes being of different colors. Interesting color.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: