Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Art: Coldspray, Grueburn (edited)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1910 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Giant1 Giant Ship1 Mount Thunder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Art: Coldspray, Grueburn (edited) Reply with quote

Meh, random inspiration. Not very feminine, certainly not Miss Universe material, but one can probably thank GRRM for sweeping the last vestiges of stereotypical fantasy warrioress imagery out of my attic. Razz Besides, I wouldn't expect someone with a second name like 'burning for gore=grue' to appear all prim and twee. I don't know what's up with the 80's hair metal hair, though; perhaps I'll fix it someday. XD

Feedback always welcome.

Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 08, 2013 8:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15086 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
A sailor went to...

FemaleRanyhyn

8918 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora1 2007 Watchies1 Coercri

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's great! Grueburn's face is a bit masculine for me. Really love Coldspray though. Smile Sorry I don't comment much on your artwork but I'm a *huge* fan! Very Happy
Shield Anvil of the cuddly bear

Male

206 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Arghule1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work as always, Zorm! Tbh, I've had some problems distinguishing the giants in the lasts chrons from each other, and this gave me a good push in the right direction. Smile
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1910 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nomnomnom skurjheart. Razz Grueburn in her element.

Seareach wrote:
Grueburn's face is a bit masculine for me.

She does indeed looks a tad masculine in the face, but that's how I originally imagined her: a huge, clunky boaster of a woman, loud and the butt of everyone's jokes. Furthermore, what I'm somewhat trying to demonstrate with that horrible sketch above, is that with certain expressions, femininity is partially driven away (inviting everyone of female persuasion to try that in front of a mirror Big Grin). I could give over-wide, bragging grins and such deranged grimaces as examples.

I also imagined the male Giants as walking tubs of testosterone, with brick-shaped jaws and, what I gathered from the first descriptions of Foamfollower in LFB, prominent, Neanderthal-ish browridges. So she'd still probably look 'feminine' according to their culture(?). Granted, I've drawn my version of Gossamer fairly delicate in the face, but then again, she was expressly depicted as beautiful, whereas most of the new Swordmainnir are left as unidentifiable background-hoverers. All I could find about Grueburn was one passages mentioning her broad shoulders. I guess that first and foremost, I'm attempting to give them some character and visages easily distinguishable from one another.

Eääh...did that make any sense whatsoever? I'm rather tired, ought to be in bed, and here I am rambling about the physique of fictional Giants. XDD

Khazduk wrote:
Tbh, I've had some problems distinguishing the giants in the lasts chrons from each other, and this gave me a good push in the right direction.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do here, glad it helped. Smile

Anyhow, thanks everyone! Big Grin

Last edited by Frostheart Grueburn on Wed May 08, 2013 9:00 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ananda
All hail Eris!

Female

4340 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Oath of Peace1 Love

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are wonderful. I too have a hard time even keeping track of who is who with the giants. They all sort of blend into a giant shaped wedge. It's really interesting how you've taken the smallest details and made distinct characters with them. Very Happy
And as fast as they can
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1910 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ananda wrote:
Those are wonderful. I too have a hard time even keeping track of who is who with the giants. They all sort of blend into a giant shaped wedge. It's really interesting how you've taken the smallest details and made distinct characters with them. Very Happy

Thanks. Very Happy

For the most part, the reader's left using their names and random bits of dialogue as inspiration, so it really requires some effort. I truly miss the memorable characterizations of Honninscrave, Foamfollower, etc. Coldspray's quite tangible, but the rest, the rest... :/
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

45104 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More great stuff, Zorm.

(But now I am confused: is that Frostheart Grueburn in skurjheart, or Rime Coldspray? I ask because I thought I saw another sketch where it was Rime Coldspray who had the long curly locks ... but maybe I am misremembering, or confusing with The First.)
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
Frostheart Grueburn
Swordmain

FemaleRanyhyn

1910 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
More great stuff, Zorm.

(But now I am confused: is that Frostheart Grueburn in skurjheart, or Rime Coldspray? I ask because I thought I saw another sketch where it was Rime Coldspray who had the long curly locks ... but maybe I am misremembering, or confusing with The First.)

Thanks. Very Happy That's Grueburn. The wrestler grandma with some teeth missing in the first image is Coldspray (she's supposed to be much older than the other Swordmainnir and have a short coiffure, at least according to FR). Grueburn has that big, flyaway hair--darkish red, if I ever get around coloring her--a hooked nose, and a cataphract sans status symbols (compare with Coldspray's crossed swords and a raised-up, gauntleted fist, "ironhand"). Not sure, but might you be referring to this image? That's a proto-Grueburn groping inside the skurj; I've kept the armor nigh-on the same, as well as the general looks, her visage being perhaps a bit longer.

Rime never got around studying the innards of a skurj; she was busy imprisoning Longwrath at that time. I checked. Very Happy

(Apparently I still manage to confuse people....ah well, trying my best not to. Wink)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Fatal Revenant All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: