Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Erikson Notes and Links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Steven Erikson Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orlion
Clairvoyant

MaleRanyhyn

7212 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Dalek1 Member of Linden's Army1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonemaybe wrote:
I can't connect to the Malazan forum. I suspect the bhok'aral have crashed it...
It was down for a couple of days, but it's back up now.... in fact, it crashed when Luci started this thread... hmmm.... Eureka

I am Lazarus, come from the dead,
Come back to tell you all, I shall tell you all!

"All creation is a huge, ornate, imaginary, and unintended fiction; if it could be deciphered it would yield a single shocking word."
-John Crowley
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
lucimay
Mott Irregular, Bridgeburner, Pirate

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orlion wrote:
Stonemaybe wrote:
I can't connect to the Malazan forum. I suspect the bhok'aral have crashed it...
It was down for a couple of days, but it's back up now.... in fact, it crashed when Luci started this thread... hmmm.... Eureka

er.... Shifty

i've had this with actors before, on the set, where they get upset about the [size of my] trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer, cause... i'm from kentucky and that's not what we brag about.
~ george clooney, inside the actor's studio

a straight edge for legends at
the fold - searching for our
lost cities of gold. burnt tar,
gravel pits. sixteen gears switch.
Haphazard Lucy strolls by.
~ dennis r wood ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
Onos T'oolan
First Sword of the T'lan Imass

Male

894 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swear to God, it looked exactly like that's what happened! Hysterical
Immanentizing The Eschaton

22510 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucimay wrote:
Murrin wrote:
"What if" can cover a helluva lot of territory.

exactly! thank you murrin, that's exactly what i meant. for me that single phrase is what fiction is all about, thus why i said all fiction is speculative.
Big Grin

Ok, I can see that. I just think it's imprecise. Laughing

--A

lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucimay wrote:
Murrin wrote:
"What if" can cover a helluva lot of territory.

exactly! thank you murrin, that's exactly what i meant. for me that single phrase is what fiction is all about, thus why i said all fiction is speculative.
Big Grin

Ok, I can see that. I just think it's imprecise. Laughing

--A

i understand. i think "fantasy" is imprecise as well. so is "science" fiction for that matter. historical fiction is much more precise. but frankly, ALL fiction is just that to me. fiction.

i've had this with actors before, on the set, where they get upset about the [size of my] trailer, and i'm always like...take my trailer, cause... i'm from kentucky and that's not what we brag about.

~ dennis r wood ~
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14432 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Andelain1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somebody on a panel at WFC said he thought of literary fiction as another genre. Laughing I thought to myself, "I wouldn't say that in a roomful of MFA candidates, if I were you." Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

http://www.hearth-myth.com/
lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliantha wrote:
Somebody on a panel at WFC said he thought of literary fiction as another genre. Laughing I thought to myself, "I wouldn't say that in a roomful of MFA candidates, if I were you." Laughing

oh i KNOW! i had actually written in that last post a long rambling luci rant about what i like to refer to as "the genre-fication" of fiction and "the canon" and whatnot but i decided i didn't want to blather on the topic so i deleted all of it. however, that's one of my pet peeves, that whole "literary" fiction thing.
that's what people are calling it now, further separating the "legitimate" fiction from the "genre" fiction. it's just stupid. and elitist. fiction is fiction.

~ dennis r wood ~
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14432 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's totally elitist -- and I think it's worse here in the US than in other parts of the world. Which is especially entertaining since we're supposed to be all egalitarian and stuff. Laughing

I agree with you. Good fiction is good fiction. Cool

EZ Board Survivor

"Dreaming isn't good for you unless you do the things it tells you to." -- Three Dog Night (via the GI)

I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

21777 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It serves a purpose, to point out that a certain category of fiction that some people hold up as inherently superior is in fact just as much a genre, with its own standards and tropes and broad quality spectrum, as the marketing categories that get disparaged. People just need to be careful about not making it a generalisation.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
aliantha
18k or bust!

Female

14432 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I agree, Murrin -- after thinking about what the guy said, I do believe literary fiction is just another genre. I'd just never heard it put that way before.

And I still wouldn't say it in a roomful of MFA candidates. Laughing

EZ Board Survivor

lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well they're using the wrong gddmn word.

lit·er·ar·y (lt-rr)adj.

1. Of, relating to, or dealing with literature: literary criticism.
2. Of or relating to writers or the profession of literature: literary circles.
3. Versed in or fond of literature or learning.

~ dennis r wood ~

22510 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imprecise huh? LOL

--A

stonemaybe
not quite might

8682 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 The Icewalls1 Iksphikix1 Fragment of the Illearth Stone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the local literature festival last year, I saw China Mieville ripping shreds out of one of the recent Booker Prize judges about 'literary fiction'.

He was trying (and succeeding, but I may be biased) to make him see that the Booker prize is a prize for the best book in the literary fiction genre, NOT in literature as a whole.

(:/>
lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then china mieville's got it wrong too! i mean more power to him that he was rippin the guy but i'm sorry, "literary" fiction is a redundancy. it's not a genre. what's it's conventions? that is HAS no conventions? here's a prize for all those stories that have no conventions! LOL! and here's a prize for all those stories that take place in space! and here's a prize for all those stories that take place in barbados! and here's a prize for all those stories that have magic in them! and here's a prize for all those stories that have detectives...oh wait, this story takes place in space and has magic and a detective....we'll make a prize for that too!!

just...absurd. Rolling Eyes

~ dennis r wood ~
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

21777 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the people you're annoyed at didn't create the term, it came out of elitists calling their work "more literary" or claiming that genre work lacked literary value. It doesn't matter so much what the words mean, it's the use and origin of the phrase that they're taking advantage of to make their point (discrediting such arguments by turning the favoured fiction style into a defined genre using their very own terms).

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
stonemaybe
not quite might

8682 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 The Icewalls1 Iksphikix1 Fragment of the Illearth Stone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucimay wrote:
well then china mieville's got it wrong too! i mean more power to him that he was rippin the guy but i'm sorry, "literary" fiction is a redundancy. it's not a genre. what's it's conventions? that is HAS no conventions? here's a prize for all those stories that have no conventions! LOL! and here's a prize for all those stories that take place in space! and here's a prize for all those stories that take place in barbados! and here's a prize for all those stories that have magic in them! and here's a prize for all those stories that have detectives...oh wait, this story takes place in space and has magic and a detective....we'll make a prize for that too!!

I may have misrepresented the argument. iirc he was trying to make the point that the Booker Prize goes to a certain type of novel only (what's known as 'literary fiction', ie, a 'detective' novel, or a 'fantasy' novel, won't get the prize)

(:/>
lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stonemaybe wrote:
lucimay wrote:

I may have misrepresented the argument. iirc he was trying to make the point that the Booker Prize goes to a certain type of novel only (what's known as 'literary fiction', ie, a 'detective' novel, or a 'fantasy' novel, won't get the prize)

no stone you were quite clear. see murrin's post above yours.

i'm annoyed that there are people in the world who want to divide fiction into genres when it's all actually fiction.
no one genre of literature is more valid or more "literary" than any other.
sure there's good writers and not so good writers. and some of those not so good writers actually have a market and a readership. there's no accounting for taste after all...but as murrin said above, i'm annoyed that there is good, really EXCELLENT and progressive literature out there that is being discounted as "genre" rather than "literary" (see my definition up thread of the term literary.)

in other words, all fiction is fiction and should be considered for the fiction prizes, the booker prize, the pulitzer, etc so on and so forth. all literature is literature and is, therefore, literally literary!!! Laughing
instead we've got Hugos and Edgars and Daggers and the like because those works would otherwise NOT get any kind of awards or recognition for excellence.

now having said that, i realize that it would be a nearly insurmountable task to consider fiction prizes that broadly.

i'm just tired of some of the best writers in western literature being relegated to a marginal genre by elitist critics who couldn't write their ways out of their own assholes, is all. (and that includes some of the writers on those prize panels - toni morrison comes to mind, great writer but what an elitist asshole) Laughing and i hate those contradictions in the terms. or absconding the term and redefining it.
it gets my steam up.

~ dennis r wood ~

22510 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genre's make things a lot easier though. Even if you didn't have "official" ones, we'd still do it informally, because it's a useful way of describing a style of fiction.

--A

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

42823 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite genre is "fictional fiction". But don't try to look that up - it's a fictional genre, too. The best thing about it is that the awards are fictional. "Or I Will Sell My Soul For Guilt" won a Fickie last year. No one objected.
lucimay

Ranyhyn

14949 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
My favorite genre is "fictional fiction". But don't try to look that up - it's a fictional genre, too. The best thing about it is that the awards are fictional. "Or I Will Sell My Soul For Guilt" won a Fickie last year. No one objected.

Hysterical

~ dennis r wood ~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Steven Erikson Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: