Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manbeverages: Spirits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14459 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I tried the Four Roses single barrel and was blown away.

Although I keep coming back to Basil Hayden's as my favorite, I tried Four Roses single barrel at the restaurant in Gaithersburg and had a similar experience. It's smooth almost to the point of being delicate.
Be True

14336 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four Roses single barrel is awesome. (I notice I was short a rose last time I mentioned it. Laughing Embarassed ) I recently did a blind taste test with a friend. We were trying to see how much difference there was between cheap and pricey bourbons. Here's how my ranking turned out:

1. Blanton's
2. Four Roses Small Batch
3. Benchmark(!) [cheap]
4. Kentucky Gentleman
5. Johnny Drum
6. Four Roses Single Barrel

Now, I know what you're thinking ... I just praised FRSB, so how could it be last? My friend and I think his wife messed up on the pouring/numbering for our blind test.

Blanton's was head-and-shoulders above the rest. FR small batch held its own. Benchmark was a surprise ... unless that's where the mistake was in the pouring.

We had two different batches of FRSB, and only used one in this test, but afterward we tried them side-by-side and could tell a big difference just between the batches. So, I imagine there's lots of variability in all brands.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14459 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried 3 different bourbons recently.

A friend recommended Bulleit to me as an inexpensive, "working man's bourbon." I found it be a smooth bourbon with a mild burn, heavy caramel flavor, otherwise nothing special about it. He had purchased a liter bottle for (he said) around $30, making it an affordable choice.

Later that same night, after my 2nd glass of Bulleit, another friend appeared with a bottle of Eagle Rare. I drank some water to cleanse my palate then sampled ER. This was a different experience entirely, ER was oakey with a harsh and lasting burn. I don't see drinking that again anytime soon.

On a different occasion, at dinner, the same friend who had me try Bulleit recommended Jefferson's Ocean. This was something that I'd never heard of, and it wasn't on the drink menu at the restaurant, but the server offered it to us. It was served in a wide tumbler with 1 large ice cube. JO far surpassed any other bourbon that I've ever tasted, it had a sweet caramel flavor with minimal burn. I've since learned it's one of the most expensive bourbons out there, so I won't be trying it again anytime soon. Had I been paying for dinner that night, I wouldn't have tried it then.
the spider from Mars

21457 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coincidence time! I'd never heard of Bullet until earlier today randomly a work colleague told me he'd tried a few glasses last weekend! Very Happy

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

2456 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlbpharmd wrote:
Quote:
I tried the Four Roses single barrel and was blown away.

Although I keep coming back to Basil Hayden's as my favorite, I tried Four Roses single barrel at the restaurant in Gaithersburg and had a similar experience. It's smooth almost to the point of being delicate.

I've tried both Basil Hayden's and Maker's Mark at dlbpharmd's recommendation after I met him at Elohimfest '14, and both were quite good. Thanks, DLB! Smile Cool
peter
the spider from Mars

21457 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack Daniels have been retailing two new versions in the UK since Christmas, fire-water and honey. I had a bottle of the honey and it was seriously nice. Gosh darn, half a bottle of that could slip down smooth as silk before you knew it! Laughing

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> The Galley All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: