Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does presenting an ID disadvantage the poor and minorities?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16324 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just sayin'.....
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8536 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://theweek.com/article/index/270950/speedreads-this-is-what-it-looks-like-when-a-voting-machine-changes-your-vote
SerScot
That GRRM fan. ;) (7/12/11)

Male

21780 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Revelwood

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting op-ed from Jonah Goldberg:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-goldberg-voting-citizenship-20141104-column.html

From close of the op-ed:

Quote:
"Vote first, ask questions later" is not a mantra of good citizenship. It's a marketing strategy designed to reward politicians for voters' ignorance.

Going to vote and voting without informing yourself of the issues and candidate's positions is just a poor plan. Are random votes cast because "we should vote" any better than people who choose not to vote because they don't care or believe their vote doesn't matter?
SerScot

Male

21780 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to link to this:

http://womenarewatching.org/blog/lena-dunham-5-reasons-why-i-vote-and-you-should-too

Goldberg flatly misrepresents Dunham's postion on the Colorado Senate race. She's talking about the candidate's support for the Hobby Lobby decision not saying he supports banning birth control, when he does not.

Goldberg=hypocrite. He does what he accuses Dunham of doing while accusing her of doing it. Asshole.
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16324 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one cares what Lena Dunham thinks. She's only famous because she insists on showing off her horrific body on her awful show that no one watches.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
SerScot

Male

21780 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail,

It still irritates me that Goldberg does exactly what he accuses Dunham of doing while accusing her of doing it.
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58405 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite being one of the more strict voter id laws in the entire country, the Texas law did not result in mass numbers of people being denied the right to vote because they didn't have one of the forms of id required.

Quote:

AUSTIN, Texas — This state’s new voter identification law — widely considered the most stringent in the nation — received its first major test in Tuesday’s midterm elections amid fears that hundreds of thousands of voters, including many Hispanics and African-Americans, would be prevented from voting. One federal judge even likened the situation to the state’s “shameful history” of poll taxes.

But early indications suggest that while some voters ran into roadblocks, the effects were perhaps less dire than the law's harshest critics predicted.

A hotline for voter questions, set up by Election Protection, a nonpartisan organization, fielded nearly 500 phone calls from Texans who did not have at least one of the seven approved forms of ID needed to vote or who were confused about the requirements. “We talked to a number of people who had trouble voting because of an expired ID or who had a hard time voting even though they had the right ID,” said Vishal Agraharkar, a counsel in the Brennan Center for Justice at New York University School of Law who helped run the phone lines. “There haven’t been adequate efforts from the state to educate people about the law, so it’s unfortunate but not surprising.”

Meanwhile, VoteRiders, a nonprofit organization formed in response to voter ID laws passed in Texas and 15 other states since 2010, fielded only four calls from voters on Election Day, according to Marianela Acuña Arreaza, the organization’s Texas coordinator. Over the last few weeks, she estimated VoteRiders worked with about 30 voters who were attempting to obtain required IDs.

Other signs pointed to only limited trouble. In Travis County, which has more than a million residents and includes Austin, the state capital, only one voter called the county’s election clerk to complain — in that case, regarding an issue with a birth certificate. “I expected more. I really did,” said Dana DeBeauvoir, the county clerk and a Democrat who opposes the new law. “I also think there’s a shaming factor. People who have ID problems have been so belittled that they’re embarrassed to talk about it."

Voters who showed up without an acceptable ID could cast a provisional ballot, provided they could present a required ID within the next six days. Just 50 provisional ballots were filed in Travis County by Tuesday afternoon, according to DeBeauvoir.

Early voting totals in Texas were slightly lower this year (1,715,731) compared with 2010 (1,731,589), the last midterm year, though it’s unclear whether the voter ID law played a role.

One of the state’s most closely watched congressional races was between Pete Gallego, the incumbent Democrat, and his Republican challenger, Will Hurd. The two were running neck and neck, and it was thought that, in such a close election, the voter ID law might hurt Gallego’s chances of holding on to his seat. Mother Jones magazine posited that Gallego might be the one candidate in Texas whom the law “could really screw over.”

But as of Tuesday afternoon, that didn’t appear to be the case. “We haven’t heard of a whole lot of problems,” said Anthony Gutierrez, Gallego’s campaign manager, who said they heard from one voter with an ID question. “We’re hoping it’s not going to be an issue.” Hurd did, however, go on to defeat the incumbent, riding the electoral wave that will give the GOP at least 52 senators and 242 representatives in the next congressional term.

Although they still aren't technically needed given that voter fraud is so low in this country, it appears that even "restrictive" voter id laws do NOT prevent either the poor or minorities from voting and they do not "give" elections to Republicans.

In fact, if anything "gave" elections to Republicans in 2014 it was the mismanagement and lack of leadership of the Democrat Party--they just couldn't get it together.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8536 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but the democrats need a strawman. that is why so much hay was made of the id laws.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

12153 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Supreme Court
Quote:
on Monday turned away a challenge to Wisconsin's voter identification law, after having blocked the state from requiring photo IDs in November's general election.

The justices' action means the state is free to impose the voter ID requirement in future elections, and is further evidence that the court put the law on hold last year only because the election was close at hand and absentee ballots already had been mailed with no notification of the need to present photo IDs.

Hopefully that puts to bed the idea that voter id laws are not constitutional.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17233 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got no problems with having to show ID to vote, as I've mentioned before. However, no matter how many notices you put up or send out, some, and maybe many, people are not going to get the message.

At the very least you need an intensive voter education program and even then some people are going to turn up without it.

It probably won't last past one election, but that first one will have confusion.

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58405 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*poof* Thread necromancy.

The U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals has upheld findings that Texas' voter identification laws do not comply with the Voting Rights Act. I guess the Court didn't read the Aljazeera America article I cited only a few posts back that the law did not prevent people from voting back in 2014 and, thus, it won't prevent people from voting this year, either.

I remain convinced of several things:
1) anyone with even a modicum of income can afford a State-issued id card; if you cannot afford $1 per month then you have more serious concerns than whether or not you may vote
2) presenting a State-issued identification card is not an unreasonable request in order to cast a vote
3) photo-based State-issued identification cards protect the voter as much as they do the voting process; you wouldn't want someone stealing your identity by using your credit card at the store so why would you want someone stealing your identify and casting your vote for you?
4) this applies to voting only--you don't need a State-issued identification for most day-to-day things and this isn't a "papers, please" nation
5) voter fraud is a trivially minor problem here and is more of a concern for local elections than national ones (some local elections literally swing on one or two votes)

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

17233 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anything, not requiring ID may encourage voter fraud. Very Happy

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58405 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fifth Circuit Court has struck down a voter id law in North Carolina, stating that is unfairly restricts black voters from being able to vote. Part of the law ruled out "same day registration" for people who showed up at a primary.

If you want to vote in November, make sure you are registered now--I am double-checking my status today--and do everyone a favor and get your photo id in place. That isn't an unreasonable request.

edit: It looks like similar measures were struck down in Wisconsin and Kansas, as well. Of note from this story is the following sentence:

Quote:
On Friday, a court also ruled against Republican voting laws in Kansas, where a county judge said the state must count votes cast by people who registered without providing citizenship documents.

Say what? Kansas must count the votes cast by people who did not provide citizenship documents? That is bullshit. If you are not a citizen then you don't get to vote, even if you live here. If you want to vote here then apply for citizenship and become naturalized.

If they didn't provide citizenship documents then how do you know they are eligible to vote in Kansas? You merely asked them then took their word for it that they were telling the truth?

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

12153 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked WTH..... How can the courts justify such a ruling. It goes against fair voting and just common sense.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58405 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This actually dovetails with the immigration reform thread but I chose this one for posting.

The suspect at a shooting located at Cascade Mall in Washington is a permanent resident (he has his green card) but despite being ineligible to vote in Federal elections he registered to vote in 2014 and has participated in three elections, including the primaries last May. Washington State does not require proof of citizenship when registering to vote--they trust the person registering to tell the truth. Trusting people to tell the truth without confirming the truth is a recipe for disaster, as it is in most cases.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel

17233 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh look...voter fraud as a result of not requiring ID. What a surprise. Laughing

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

14334 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1000 illegal voters (that we know of) in Virginia, key swing state
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Zarathustra
Be True

14334 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On hidden camera, NY Dem Election Board Commissioner admits to massive voter fraud among minorities, and the real reason behind Dem resistance to voter ID laws.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche

17233 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy...require ID to vote. (And have a nationally accessible database to mark voters off in once they do so.) It's not such a big ask. Very Happy

--A

Hashi Lebwohl

Male

58405 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The logic remains solid: if you have to present at least one form of identification to buy a car, buy a house, open a bank account, purchase alcohol, or buy a gun, then you should have to show some form of identification in order to cast a vote. Also, if you cannot afford to save $1 or $2 each month in order to get some form of State-issued photo identification card then obviously you don't think that voting is important enough.

The only logical reason to oppose being made to show some form of State-issued photo id card in order to vote is so that you can bring people in to vote who ought not be allowed to vote because of their non-citizenship status.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 47 of 48

Jump to: