Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LOtR Book

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gursikh11
Servant of the Land

Male

19 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: LOtR Book Reply with quote

How many of you have read the full LOtR book? Is is one of my favorite book.
Zarathustra
Be True

14968 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only about 7 times! Big Grin

I try to read it about every five years or so. I squeezed in a few more than that when I was a teenager. Yeah, it's one of my favorites, too.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
bruce3371
Servant of the Land

Male

82 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only have I read all 3 volumes of LoTR many times, I've also read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales just as many times. I'm a bit of a Tolkein fan you see...!
"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male

Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland
7687 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered1 Member of THOOLAH1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To many times to count like the 1st and 2nd Chrons. I love the films too!

u.
What Boogie Street is for.
Effaeldm
Better Keep Quiet About It

Ranyhyn

262 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Summoning1 Dreams1 Diamondraught

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I won't be able to remember for sure, I think I've read The Hobbit before school, perhaps more than once) And I particularly like The Silmarillion)) Also I've read some amount of fanfiction of varying quality, including even the Black Book Of Arda (The Black Silmarillion) Hide
Matthias
Believer

225 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a confession...

I've only read the trilogy once and it was when I was in high school, just after the movies came out. (15 years ago!)

I've long preferred the movies to the books since I find the language of the books to be a little dated and hard to get through. The adaptations captured the books excellently imo. But I'm currently re-reading Fellowship for my senior thesis so, I'll have a renewed opinion when I'm done!
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

2775 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce3371 wrote:
Not only have I read all 3 volumes of LoTR many times, I've also read The Hobbit, The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales just as many times. I'm a bit of a Tolkein fan you see...!

This describes me, and I've read all these books twice. Once through, I've also read: The Father Christmas Letters, Smith of Wooton Major, The Tolkien Reader (an American compilation containing Tolkien's play "The Homecoming of Beortnoth Beorthelm's Son", "On Fairy Stories", "Leaf By Niggle", Farmer Giles of Ham, and The Adventures of Tom Bombadil); and Sir Gawain and the Green Knight/Pearl/Sir Orfeo. So I guess you can say I'm a bit of a Tolkien fan.

I much prefer reading Stephen R. Donaldson and Anne McCaffrey, though. I first started reading Tolkien with The Hobbit in 1979, first started reading Donaldson with Lord Foul's Bane in 1981, and first started reading McCaffrey with Dragonsong in 1989. I guess that's about all I have to say about this...for now, anyway.
Vader
Black

Male

6855 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started reading that stuff in late 70s. and was hooked. I even wrote my final exam thesis at university on "Worldview and Philosophy in J.R.R. Tolkien's Fantasy Literature", so I should have read almost everything a couple of times.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read all the main ones several times (Hobbit, LotR, Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales).

The Hobbit was probably my first experience of Fantasy...my parents read it to me when I was a child, and by the time I was 12 or so, I'd read it around 10 or 11 times. (Even then I was a serial re-reader. Very Happy )

--A

DrPaul
Giantfriend

2373 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read LotR when I was 18, in the Christmas/New Year break after I finished school, and became a Tolkien tragic. I borrowed The Silmarillion and The Hobbit from my university's library as soon as I had borrowing rights and read them, and read Unfinished Tales as soon as it was published. I have read all four works several times.

A note on terminology. The term "tragic" is a slang expression that denotes a deeply devoted fan of some activity, sport, literary work, etc. A former Australian Prime Minister described himself as a "cricket tragic" because of his intense interest in that sport. One consequence of his passion for cricket is that migrants and refugees seeking to become Australian citizens have to pass a citizenship test that includes questions that test their knowledge about Australian cricket players.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17839 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheesh, I'd be right out then. Laughing

--A

High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1523 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fifth grade teacher read The Hobbit to my class and I was hooked.

My older brother had a 4 book paperback set and I finished LotR before the summer began.... probably understood very little Smile but I remember liking the first half of the Fellowship the best which makes sense because of the way Tolkien wrote it.
I also skipped the Appendix because I had no idea what an appendix was.

I asked my mother to buy me the Silmarillion that summer (she never said no to a book request). I remember my 5th grade teacher saying that it would be difficult to understand but I tried it anyway.
I remember liking the battle scenes and that I literally could not pronounce Silmarillion until I was like....25 Very Happy Big Grin

Eventually I read the Appendixes and they became my favorite parts for a long time.
It never occurred to me that Balrogs might not have wings until I got on the Tolkien Usenet groups in the late 90s.

I reread all 5 books every summer usually, it's very relaxing.
As the years go by I usually find something interesting that I didn't notice or care about in the past during every reread.

And after all these years I still don't like his poems. Very Happy

His other works I've not found interesting and although I've read most of the History I seldom reread any of it.

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41831 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
My older brother had a 4 book paperback set

This one?

That's the one I had. I still remember how it smelled - of musty pulp ... and adventure.

High Lord Tolkien wrote:
but I remember liking the first half of the Fellowship the best

Black riders chasing Hobbits across the Shire! It seemed like the whole book at the time. Now it seems like it's about three pages. Sad
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

1523 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:
My older brother had a 4 book paperback set

This one?

That's the one I had. I still remember how it smelled - of musty pulp ... and adventure.

Bingo!
Didn't take too long before all 4 wouldn't fit into the case anymore. Very Happy

wayfriend wrote:
High Lord Tolkien wrote:
but I remember liking the first half of the Fellowship the best

Black riders chasing Hobbits across the Shire! It seemed like the whole book at the time. Now it seems like it's about three pages. Sad

It also made me try to eat mushrooms for the first time. Never really liked them too much though.

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> J.R.R. Tolkien Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: