Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which is it? The read, or the reread?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Steven Erikson Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Broken
Toll the Hound

Male

4081 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Earthblood1 Sandgorgon1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Which is it? The read, or the reread? Reply with quote

Do you prefer the first read of The Malazan Book of the fallen, or the second, or third as the case may be. Myself I'm torn . The initial read catches you off guard, which I loved, but I spent most of it feeling lost, and plunging headlong. "Wide Eyed Stupid" if you will.
The second time through you are better prepared, details that seemed unimportant , become crucial. Characters forgotten during the first read resurface to also take on new significance . Gods how I hated that little bastard Snell! I can't believe I forgot about him. If the reread lacks anything it would be the gut reactions. A shame that you can only once truly be horrified by something you've read. However the belly laughs remain.
I'm not really sure which I have preferred, perhaps it will be the third.
Onos T'oolan
First Sword of the T'lan Imass

Male

894 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only read the first four books more than once. I've read them three times. I'd say the second was probably the best. Definitely found plenty of stuff I'd missed the first time, or forgotten since. And it's all complex enough that it wasn't anything close to boring for the repetition.

But the third was only slightly less satisfying. I didn't see as much stuff that seemed brand new, and it was still nearly as exciting.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

22580 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done...uh, I don't actually know. Each time I got a new one, I reread all the previous ones. So the first few have obviously been read the most.

I think this is my second or third full re-read, and I can definitely attest to the fact that it gets better. Also, knowing mostly what happens allows you to pay more attention to the details.

--A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Steven Erikson Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: