Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Grand Reread!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Against All Things Ending
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linna Heartlistener
"The lady's fate is writ in water."

FemaleRanyhyn

4259 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mithil Stonedown1 Caamora1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appear to have tactically misplaced TIW...

Since I'm a slowish (comparatively) reader and have lots going on, I think I'm going to start AATE for the first time, and let the Final Chrons and selected snippets from the 1st and 2nd suffice for context.

I'm excited about the idea of starting one I've never read before!
Banana

Morning- "TC was hurtloamed by Lena"... what a way to put it. Wink

Z- good idea, with doing some writing on the dissections.
I thought of doing that once but felt so awkward typing to "nobody."
Somewhere in here, you've gotta tell us about your wife's impressions. (well, only if it's okay with her!!)

"Gilead," by Marilynne Robinson
Stevo
Servant of the Land

137 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the grand reread late last year (September?). Today I start on "The One Tree". This is my 4th time reading the First Chronicles, my 3rd time reading the Second Chronicles, and my 2nd time reading the first 3 books of the Last Chronicles. So far, it's all be quiet enjoyable ... again!
Menolly
Gravin Threndor, how I love thee.

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
145669 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be Welcome to the Watch, Stevo.
Be Well Come and True.

Enjoy your revisit to the Land, and come introduce yourself in the Say Hello in Here thread.
Be True

13289 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going too slow. I started in August, and I'm only about 100 pages into TWL. It probably doesn't help that I'm reading two other books at the same time. But I've got to speed up if I want to finish 6 books (that keep getting longer) by this fall.

I'm having fun, but I think this might be the last time I reread these for many years. Even at 7 years since my last trip through the Land, it feels too recent.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
deer of the dawn
On a mission from God

FemaleRanyhyn

8574 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Soaring Woodhelvin1 Oath of Peace1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started TWL last night. And of course, I'm reading two books at once. I can't seem to get away from that. I'm reading Les Miserables which is very good, but admittedly gets tedious in places (half the book is digression!!) and I realized I needed to get moving (having reread 1st Chronicles last year).

It's every bit as good as the first time (I've read 2nd Chrons 3 times, I think?), or maybe better, because I really get why Linden was Chosen, and what it cost Covenant to love Joan, etc.

ahhhh... if only all our creativity in wickedness could be fixed by "Corrupt a Wish." - Linna Heartlistener

Zarathustra
Be True

13289 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The One Tree is one hell of a book. I'm almost finished with it.

Though I've criticized the Last Chronicles quite a bit, I'm excited to start them right after rereading the first six.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Against All Things Ending All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: