Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Gap Into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge 1: Angus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> Ancillary Documentation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Foul
The Despiser

32 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: The Gap Into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge 1: Angus Reply with quote

The chapter and the book begins with Milos Taverner attempting one of the rare nearly impossible things in the world trying to cover his ass on both sides equally well.

He has not to get any dangerous information out of Angus, but he has to get information out of Angus or at least show much effort in that. On the surface, everything looks normal, guilty as charged, but it's certain there is more, if not provable. Milos additionally enjoys the company personally, finding Angus repulsive bodily and dangerously cunning, insidious, making him feel exposed.

Quote:
In addition his eyes glared yellow with a belligerent wisdom that made Milos feel exposed, dangerously known.

Beautiful.

And Milos suspects potentially destructive infromation, connections to Forbidden space, and thinks he may anger dangerous people if anything comes out the more immediately dangerous ones. To increase the fun, it all gets recorded.

Angus nicely helps Milos by refusing to talk not like out of wishing him good, certainly.

Quote:
Shit, the deputy chief thought when he was alone. He didnt like foul language

Razz to him.

Quote:
Now who am I supposed to be loyal to?

Someone. Someone.

Milos also checks the balance of his bank account he has under an alternative name fo reassurance. That's some consolation.

He gets an opportunity to break the prisoner Angus tries to escape. Angus grieves his ship, the Bright Beauty. He looks unreactive alone in his cell, the psy-profile computer suggests Angus loses his will to life. Milos decides it's fake and turns out right. Angus breaks out of his cell, but gets recaptured.

Thus, Milos gets the lucky gift of a lever he can't get away with not using. He issues instructions not to get his plans compromised and lets the guards treat Angus with an old-fashioned beating instead of the impersonal stun, which results in a terrible condition, one that makes Milos afraid he might succeed.

Quote:
his left eye was swollen shut in a grotesque parody of Warden Dios.

Interesting.

Quote:
He and Angus were alone.

How sweet.

Here it turns out Milos can cheat his way out of the recordings he prepares a dummy to use if the real results turn out so that they can get him some pleasant attention. He lies to Angus that the guard he attacked died and tries to threaten him with execution. Angus remains silent. Milos continues on the route of death threat and says nobody will ever care what happens to him again. Angus replies tries to laugh and answers in scorn and rough language saying he'll talk when the murder file is charged to everybody. That he'll tell about a traitor in Security and he'll tell who it is and he'll trade his name for immunity. But he refuses to tell the name before the charge is filed. Milos tries to say he's bluffing Angus retorts Milos is. And that Milos never intended to find out the truth.

Quote:
Youre bluffing, Angus retorted. You arent going to file that charge. You dont want to find out what I know. You never have. Then he concluded happily, Motherfucker.

Angus can be so lovely.

Milos stops the interrogation and enjoys the results of having the dummy he dumps the real recording.

Quote:
After that he stubbed out his nic, thinking, Filthy habit. Im going to quit. Remembering that hed made similar commitments in the past, he added, I mean it. Really.

Really. Hehe.

Milos makes a few undecipherable transmissions and returns to work, the smooth dummy gets no mention, Angus returns to silence.

Quote:
Milos Taverner might as well have been safe.
Nevertheless when the order came through to have Angus Thermopyle frozen, Milos heaved a sigh of entirely private and malicious relief.

As SRD's readers know, sighing in relief is not something the characters can really do, unless that's the end of the series - or they're dead. And the latter is no guarantee Twisted Evil

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Iolanthe
Proudly wearing Purple

FemaleRanyhyn

6673 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Glimmermere1 Plains of Ra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly as I remember it, LF. It seemed to me that Angus had the upper hand.

Quote:
They learned from the questions they were asked, they gained as much knowledge as they gave - as much or more, in Angus' case - and they used that knowledge to perfect their lies........

As Angus didn't say anything at all until after his attempted escape, his learned knowledge could only serve to make Milos Taverner more frightened. Slimy git, Milos.

"I must state plainly, Linden, that you have become wondrous in my sight."
Thanked by: Lord Foul, Cord Hurn
Lord Foul
The Despiser

32 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: The Gap Into Vision - Forbidden Knowledge 1: Angus Reply with quote

Most certainly - Milos is absolutely out of his league. This chapter is good character study - with Milos being shown as a shifty, greedy coward, and Angus as a cunning, dangerous and insightful man. I particularly like this piece about him, almost poetic:

Quote:
his eyes glared yellow with a belligerent wisdom that made Milos feel exposed, dangerously known.

And in this one I can practically feel how Angus felt - and reading it makes me smile - how he yanks the carpet from beneath Taverner's feet - and how his enjoyment of that seeps through the text.

Quote:
Youre bluffing, Angus retorted. You arent going to file that charge. You dont want to find out what I know. You never have. Then he concluded happily, Motherfucker.

So that it's clear: I'm not the Lord Foul who was on the Watch before, from 26.10.2002 to 16.06.2012
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

3870 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two (Angus, Milos) seem to understand each other all too well. It's interesting that they are in a way on the same side in that Milos doesn't want Angus to talk and Angus doesn't want to talk about what he knows... Screwy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> Ancillary Documentation All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: