Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Most mystical moment in the Last Chronicles?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Against All Things Ending
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mighara Sovmadhi
A shadow on the heart of the Earth

Location: Near where Broken Social Scene is gonna play on October 15th, 2010
9162 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Most mystical moment in the Last Chronicles? Reply with quote

I'd probably single out Caerroil Wildwood's scene in FR as my prime candidate for this. The Wraith-song at the end of FR is another good one, as are many of Anele's ramblings or the Ranyhyn horserite.

Do the effects of Vile magic count as mystical? Maybe, a darker form of the thing maybe.
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam

1983 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Kresh1 Diamondraught1 Mind Meld

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands down, the ending of AATE
SleeplessOne
One of the Infrequent

1880 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Most mystical moment in the Last Chronicles? Reply with quote

shadowbinding shoe wrote:
Hands down, the ending of AATE

not sure if it counts as 'mystical' or not, but I have literally just finished listening to the ending of AATE on audiobook (it counts as my first proper re-read) and I have chills; it really is an amazing piece of writing.

from the moment Covenant comes into Joan's presence there is paragraph after paragraph of fascinating metaphysical paradoxes, i.e. Covenant essentially 'existing' at one point purely in Joan's mind & the ability of the Forestals to intervene upon a *memory*

- apart from that, the sheer kick-assery of the haruchai and Ranyhyn coupled with the sheer melancholic eeriness of the final pages make it some of most breath-takingly awesome writing SRD has produced imo.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41539 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do we mean by "mystical" here? Spiritual? Magical? Mysterious? Sparkly?

If we're talking about "having a spiritual meaning or reality that is neither apparent to the senses nor obvious to the intelligence", then ...

... I am going to say, Covenant's apotheosis in the Banefire. Because of the foreshadowing and the self-realization that led to that moment.
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

183 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Chrons moment, WF. Your choice took place in 2nd Chrons, nu?
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

41539 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drr...

Rather than duck my head and walk away embarrassingly ....

I thought the most mystical moment was the ending of FR. The resurrection event was simply laden with mysticism, from the attending Dead to Wildwood's spell on the Staff to Linden's need for a savior to the union of wild magic and Earthpower to Covenant standing while "theurgies spat and flared from his arms, his shoulders, his chest". In all the Chronicles there has never been such a ritual so deeply embued with significances and so freighted with needs.
Zarathustra
Be True

14359 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good one, WF. Also, the follow-up to that scene in the opening of AATE was an unprecedented instance of mystical wonder.

I'd also put the horserite in Runes on the list. And the synesthetic trippiness of the Viles encounter.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> Against All Things Ending All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: