Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This may have been discussed before...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unfettered One
Unfettered one, duh...

Ranyhyn

361 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Covenant's Novels1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: This may have been discussed before... Reply with quote

... but I couldn't find it.

I'm doing a re-read (probably for my 20th time) in anticipation of TLD, and when I finished the Frist chronicles, something that I had never seen before hit me.

First, I think it's generally agreed that 1 day in real life = 1 year in The Land.

He wakes up in the hospital on Easter. Previous time was 7 years before, so Palm Sunday. Previous to that was 40 years before, so Ash Wednesday.

Do any of you think this has any significance besides emphasizing TC as a Christ-figure?

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Akasri
Haruchai

1643 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure the 1 day=1 year thing is that exact is it?

I remember thinking it was strange about the Easter reference in the last book, but never really gave it that much thought.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

42527 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an odd and interesting correspondence, thanks for pointing it out!

As for Covenant being a Christ-figure ... I think that is amply displayed throughout the first Chronicles, or at least has been amply noted. It was signalled with the name "Covenant", if you ask me. The parallels are even more so in the Second Chronicles.
Rau Le Creuset
Commander

Male

2414 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Aliantha Berries1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lomillialor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's pretty sweet detective work you've done id never even noticed anything like that before much less thought of it.. although I don't think iv read them as much as you have Smile
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14735 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: This may have been discussed before... Reply with quote

Unfettered One wrote:
... but I couldn't find it.

I'm doing a re-read (probably for my 20th time) in anticipation of TLD, and when I finished the Frist chronicles, something that I had never seen before hit me.

First, I think it's generally agreed that 1 day in real life = 1 year in The Land.

He wakes up in the hospital on Easter. Previous time was 7 years before, so Palm Sunday. Previous to that was 40 years before, so Ash Wednesday.

Do any of you think this has any significance besides emphasizing TC as a Christ-figure?

Wow, I'd never noticed that either! Good job!
Unfettered one, duh...

Ranyhyn

361 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Covenant's Novels1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos... but this is one of the things I love about SRD. The re-readability is phenomenal, always some new hint or foreshadowing or twist that can be discovered.

I'm still pondering the importance... The 40 days between Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday is lent, where you traditionally self-reflect and sacrifice.

The week between Palm Sunday and Easter is considered Holy Week.

I think next time I read them, I'll try to keep these in mind to see if anything pops out at me.

Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest. - Mark Twain
Zarathustra
Be True

17638 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Covenant is much more an anti-Christ figure than a Christ figure (much like Zarathustra was, in fact). Christ certainly doesn't go around raping people, making bargains to get himself off the hook, and then learn how to fight his own inner Despiser (without the help of an external Creator). The Biblical parellels are all ironic--turning traditional values on their head.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
peter
the spider from Mars

25352 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit Z's point re his treatment of Lena was the first thing that came into my head on reading the Covenant/Christ analogy - and am I alone in thinking that if you hold the idea too tightly, it in someway diminishes Covenant. It's Covenants very failings that make him approachable as a charachter, particularly in the first Chrons. By the second he is sort of approaching that 'hallowed status' that to me makes him less of an interesting read. [nb I love the 2nd Chrons, but move away from TC - perhaps understandably given Lindens high profile - and TC's 'locked in' state for half of the time.] I prefer not to surrender TC to apotheosis untill it becomes absolutely impossible not to.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: