Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Need to Re-read The Last Dark

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Last Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrPaul
Giantfriend

2438 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: The Need to Re-read The Last Dark Reply with quote

Last night I finished re-reading The Last Dark. I had deliberately re-read it more slowly and carefully than I had read it initially, and I have to say I found it to be a quite satisfying experience and that I took things in that I had not noticed or not seen the significance of on my first reading.

I would be interested to know what others think after re-reading TLD. I would also recommend re-reading to those who have yet to do so.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

44303 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you had that experience. I am re-reading it now, a bit at a time, for the purposes of the group discussion. (So I am not done yet.) And, yes, there is a lot one gains on the second pass. Several people have mentioned this.

And also, I have seen several comments on the phenomenon that Donaldson often goes down better if you read slow and deliberately, rather than in a rush. I find it to be so as well.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda for which this forum has become a platform.
peter
the spider from Mars

34860 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alas I tend to find my reading speed pretty much sets itself, but no question, on the first read of a new TC book I tend to take it at a rush because of an avid enthusiasm to get the story under my belt. No doubt a second read would indeed be a more measured affair so yes, it needs to be done.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Last Dark All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: