Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Last Pun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Last Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lurch
Swamp Thang

Male

3884 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: The Last Pun Reply with quote

" Helped by Bluntfist and Furledsail, Cirrus Kindwind bore Jeremiah around the rim of the pit; a narrow path." ....What do you call that? ..a pun?..bore, around,,rim and I suppose , pit,,all linked by a common " circular" nature. a narrow path,,indeed. World goes round in circles, like a bird up in the sky..except there is no association,,as in,," like" or," as if" as required for a simile . Verb, nouns, connected by the spherical...TLD has more of this kind of " Word Play". Actually, TCoTC is sprinkled with word smithy like this example and I am not aware of what , if there is even,,what it is called; a label any body? Its not quite a metaphor..maybe a metathree..or a deltaphor..
Howabout a...

..." fish" in tribute to creating a reality ,perhaps a new grammatical reality, where combinations of verbs, nouns, adjectives, adverbs in a clause or sentence create a reality that is different from first perceived but still supports the original intent..simile without the associative, where " like" or " as if" is absent but has to be discovered and then assumed..Any English major/teachers able to help on this one?

...perhaps...a " Surrealism " or Surreal Clause...a..SurrealBomb...

or..a " When You See It.."

or a.." Magnitive"...where the clause or sentence is held together by unseen forces...

I am sure there are more . Any body else spot any these unassociated associations?
This thread is here for when you do..
earthbrah
Proponent of Gylany

1639 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you point to here is very subtle. I totally see what you mean, but the language play is slight yet noticeable.

As for what to call such a thing, that is a great wondering... I may not be an English major, but I'm sure an English teacher (well, currently), and I love to fiddle with words...so let's see...

'Metafish' came to mind as I read your post; 'verbaphor'?; I like 'magnitive'...how about a 'magnetic clause,' or perhaps a 'concentric clause'...

Any other ideas?

"Latency--what is concealed--is the demonstrable presence of the future."
--Jean Gebser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant -> The Last Dark All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: