Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

David Eddings Balgariad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Poider
Stonedownor

Male

185 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: David Eddings Balgariad Reply with quote

G'day, just came home from a medieval fair and managed to pick up the Balgariad series, books 1,2,3,4,5 and the prequel, just wondering should I read the prequel first?
If it was written last should I read it last?
Peter
I'm Murrin
Aren't you?

19044 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like to read series in the publication order. But I'm not at all familiar with the Belgariad, so maybe others who have read it will feel differently.

Mod of the General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Forum
IrrationalSanity
Caamora Obscura

1014 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Leela V1.01 Member of Linden's Army1 Translation

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a tough call, and getting tougher, really. More and more series are starting to jump around their histories, whether it is the original author, or successors. A case could be made for going either way, depending upon the series, and whether you are concerned about potential spoilers. (e.g. Prequel covers the backstory of a character who isn't revealed until the climax of the original.)

On the other hand, if you have read the original, it might be interesting to start with the in-world chronology. Especially if the stories are either largely independent, or follow parallel arcs with only incidental touch points.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

13812 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to read them in chronological order myself. But I can't speak for the Belgariad, since I never made it through more than 2.5 of them. Very Happy

--A

Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

6362 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never would have guessed you didn't finish any series you'd started. Come on, it'll take you a weekend to read the rest! Laughing

13812 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing He just doesn't do it for me. Only book of his that really impressed me was The High Hunt. Which is not fantasy.

--A

Kaos Arcanna
Ramen

369 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: David Eddings Balgariad Reply with quote

Poider wrote:
G'day, just came home from a medieval fair and managed to pick up the Balgariad series, books 1,2,3,4,5 and the prequel, just wondering should I read the prequel first?
If it was written last should I read it last?
Peter

Read the prequel last as it'll make more sense to you that way. Also, like most authors, Eddings goes back and retcons things in the prequel that'll confuse you later if you read the original series afterwards.
Poider
Stonedownor

Male

185 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your responses, I will read the series first and the prequel last
Peter
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

11601 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that approach. I read the Belgariad years ago and they read better in that order.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Zarathustra
Be True

10697 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would read them in this order: first read everything else ever written by any other author, waiting until you are on your deathbed if necessary, and if science somehow cures death before you're gone, and thus you no longer have to worry about wasting a moment in a finite lifespan, you might consider reading the Belgariad after you've read everything else ever written at least one more time, and then what the hell, why not?

They suck, in case my point wasn't clear. Twisted Evil
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche

13812 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, some people like them Z. Very Happy Not me, but some people. Wink

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

10697 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm just teasing. I think people should be warned, however, before committing to a long series. I know SRD fans have pretty high standards, and they might want input from others who share those high standards. Of course, reading a bad author can have its own rewards, like providing a contrast by which to measure how great someone like SRD is, even at his worst ... or not so best, like the LC.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
ussusimiel
Ghurning

Male

Location: Waterford (milking cows), and sometimes still Dublin, Ireland
7667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Unfettered1 Member of THOOLAH1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
They suck, in case my point wasn't clear. Twisted Evil

I found them unreadable as well!*

u.

* I disagree with Z so often on so many things that I like to take any opportunity I can to agree with him! Laughing
What Boogie Street is for.
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

11601 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked them when I read them 32 years ago (I would have been 19 at the time).. but I did try a re-read a few years ago and I couldn't make it through even the first book. However different tastes and all.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

34457 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
I would read them in this order: first read everything else ever written by any other author, waiting until you are on your deathbed if necessary, and if science somehow cures death before you're gone, and thus you no longer have to worry about wasting a moment in a finite lifespan, you might consider reading the Belgariad after you've read everything else ever written at least one more time,

Hee hee! That sounds like how I feel about Terry Goodkind. Often I get gentler with authors, especially if ambitious and trying hard, as the works settle in my brain. Not Goodkind. I might go even farther and say "and unless you intend suicide, don't read Goodkind even then...because they WILL make you want to kill yourself.

[[[and lest anyone think it's because he is an Ayn Rand acolyte...I've read all her fiction [a number more than once] and most of the non-fiction ["Romantic Manifesto" and "Capitalism" a couple times each now] and I'm not dead yet]]]

-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

1679 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read the Belgariad and Malloreon over two decades ago, I liked them enough to go read the Belgarath and Polgara prequels when thy came out in the mid to late 90s. Attempting to re-read them since then, I found them tedious due to the constant repetition of stereotyping the different races of that world (the Nyssians are always cowardly backstabbers, the Murgos are always murderous religious fanatics, the Tolnedrans are always avaricious, the Thulls are always big and dumb, the Arends always have a foolhardy sense of honor, etc.) and find all the main characters except Durnik to be unlikable.

"Don't waste your time with any Eddings fantasy" is the advice I now have for all who ask.

Wildling
Giantfriend

Male

803 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cord Hurn wrote:
When I read the Belgariad and Malloreon over two decades ago, I liked them enough to go read the Belgarath and Polgara prequels when thy came out in the mid to late 90s. Attempting to re-read them since then, I found them tedious due to the constant repetition of stereotyping the different races of that world (the Nyssians are always cowardly backstabbers, the Murgos are always murderous religious fanatics, the Tolnedrans are always avaricious, the Thulls are always big and dumb, the Arends always have a foolhardy sense of honor, etc.) and find all the main characters except Durnik to be unlikable.

"Don't waste your time with any Eddings fantasy" is the advice I now have for all who ask.

The stereotyping thing is fairly common among fantasy and sci-fi books. I can't really think of any that don't trade in such things to some degree.

*said as someone who doesn't hate the Belgariad or it's sequels but doesn't care enough to bother with the prequels*
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

1679 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cord Hurn wrote:

Oh, and I forgot to mention: we're supposed to find all thieves to be adorably hilarious. Confused
rdhopeca
Ur-Lord Author and Musician

MaleRanyhyn

2325 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2008 Watchies1 2009 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say that as I consider my own writing aspirations, that I strive to be like SRD and fear I will end up like Eddings.

And I don't mind Eddings at all as a reader. Just not a lot of believable characters in the real world sense.

"Progress is made. Be warned."

Blog: http://rdhope.wordpress.com
Poetry: http://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16637
"Hunter": http://kevinswatch.ihugny.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16659
Descent: A Look Inside: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/217480
Facebook: www.facebook.com/roberthope
Google+:http://plus.google.com/+RobertHope
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/roberthope
Twitter: www.twitter.com/rdhopeca
Quora: www.quora.com/Robert-Hope
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

40719 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: