Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone here a musician?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoctorGamgee
Sandgorgon in training...

Male

7913 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth:

Dein ist mein ganzes Herz

There is a rough translation of the text if you click the "show more" button.

Dr.G
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

9667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH2 Covenant's Novels1 Ultraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zarathustra wrote:
Thanks, Tom! I enjoyed your songs. I assume you saw my notes.

I wouldn't have done anything else except play Rocksmith if I hadn't found a way to record. I've got about 5 other songs in various stages of progress. One is a lot heavier and reminds of Tool in parts. It's pretty badass. I can't wait to finish recording/editing it.

I encourage you to continue to record. I have your soundcloud account linked so I'll definitely listen to the new stuff when you post it.

I did see your comments on my songs. Thanks for listening. Big Grin

"There is tic and toc in atomic" - Neil Peart
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

9667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorGamgee wrote:
For what it is worth:

Dein ist mein ganzes Herz

There is a rough translation of the text if you click the "show more" button.

Dr.G

That's really amazing! You are like a next level serious singer. We're all hacks, Doc. Very Happy

DoctorGamgee

Male

7913 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aTOMiC wrote:
That's really amazing! You are like a next level serious singer. We're all hacks, Doc. Very Happy

Thanks, aTOMiC. They call me Doc because I have three pieces of paper that say, "Yup, he can sing...thanks for askin'." Wink LOL! But when I auditioned to my first graduate school, they told me that my voice was too small for the stage and I had zero performance potential. I was never a natural at it, and had to work like a dog to make even modest progress. 31 years of practice later, and I still want to be better. Such is life.

But I don't think you are a hack and am not an elitist. I play organ at my church (voice was my major, piano my minor), and when I was younger, I played flute and violin. Now I just sing and occasionally compose, and wish I were more adept than I am at instruments. My brother can play anything with frets, and used to be in an Irish Folk Band that toured Russia after the wall came down (Moscow, Leningrad, Krasnodar). I'm somewhat jealous of his ability.

Do y'all have selections to hear. I only posted because someone asked about them. I'd like to listen to new stuff too. I checked out the posts of Sarge and Rob. They are really cool.

Doc
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

9667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorGamgee wrote:

Do y'all have selections to hear. I only posted because someone asked about them. I'd like to listen to new stuff too. I checked out the posts of Sarge and Rob. They are really cool.

Doc

Doc, your story sounds as accomplished as your vocal talents. I'm guessing even when you thought you were struggling to find the voice you wanted to hear from yourself others enjoyed what you were doing. Its a common curse with musicians in general. We're our own worst critics and tend to remain so well past the point of having proven oneself.
Personally I think what you do is extremely impressive.

I dabble mostly in home recordings these days but was the leader of a band from around high school until 2009 or so. You will find a link below to one of the songs I recorded back in 2011 for a cd of instrumentals called Planetary. I was inspired by Gustav Holst's The Planets in that each song of mine represents my impression of each planet in our solar system. I've included the first song which was named not only after the minor planet Pluto but also the Original series Star Trek episode Plato's Stepchildren. Smile

Pluto's Stepchildren

DoctorGamgee

Male

7913 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Glimmermere

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I just bought your CD via Amazon.com.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, I have only heard Pluto's Stepchildren. The rest will be playing in the background while I grade some Music Theory classes.

Love it, BTW.

Doc
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

9667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoctorGamgee wrote:
Dude, I just bought your CD via Amazon.com.

Thanks for the suggestion. So far, I have only heard Pluto's Stepchildren. The rest will be playing in the background while I grade some Music Theory classes.

Love it, BTW.

Doc

Thanks Doc. That's very kind of you. I appreciate it. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

dANdeLION
Leoninus Scurrae

3900 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad1 Holy Launch Button1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play bass, and sometimes guitar and lap steel.
Blow away dandelion

I'm afraid there's no denying
I'm just a dandelion
a fate I don't deserve.

High priest of THOOOTP

Hobbes *

* This post carries Jay's seal of approval
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cagliostro
Bandwagon Puppet

MaleRanyhyn

3900 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Covenant's Novels3 Tranquil Hegemony

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be the vocalist of a couple bands around high school and college, mainly with nice smooth vocals in the New Wave style. It was great fun and mostly played our originals. I wish I had kept with it, but I was stupid and let it fall to the wayside. My problem was that I couldn't remember lyrics well and always felt very embarrassed by that.
I have recently come up with a concept for a band that I really want to come to fruition which is Parent Punk. Back in the 80's, so many of the punk bands I saw were kids bitching about their parents, so I want to make it like an 80's punk but the parents bitching about their kids. Put on a kind of act that sometimes takes it too far, but also songs about 40-somethings that ring true, such as health concerns and the like. I'm learning bass at the moment and want to lay down some lyrics and general feel of a few songs before I start trying to recruit like-minded individuals. I imagine starting the show throwing a diaper into the audience as I run out on stage. Lots of great tricks and funny antics, and some of the songs just seem to write themselves. I just need to find time for a band. And I've always wanted to front a punk band.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
aTOMiC
aTOMiCus Prolificus

Male

9667 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagliostro wrote:
I used to be the vocalist of a couple bands around high school and college, mainly with nice smooth vocals in the New Wave style. It was great fun and mostly played our originals. I wish I had kept with it, but I was stupid and let it fall to the wayside. My problem was that I couldn't remember lyrics well and always felt very embarrassed by that.
I have recently come up with a concept for a band that I really want to come to fruition which is Parent Punk. Back in the 80's, so many of the punk bands I saw were kids bitching about their parents, so I want to make it like an 80's punk but the parents bitching about their kids. Put on a kind of act that sometimes takes it too far, but also songs about 40-somethings that ring true, such as health concerns and the like. I'm learning bass at the moment and want to lay down some lyrics and general feel of a few songs before I start trying to recruit like-minded individuals. I imagine starting the show throwing a diaper into the audience as I run out on stage. Lots of great tricks and funny antics, and some of the songs just seem to write themselves. I just need to find time for a band. And I've always wanted to front a punk band.

Okay first of all I can't remember lyrics either. I've mumbled my way through a few songs in the past during shows hoping that no one would notice however after hearing some of the recordings of those performances I discovered that even someone with a hearing aid and no interest whatsoever in the show would know I was screwing up. Very embarrassing for me but that's no reason to stop trying.

I started out playing New Wave and Punk songs back in the 80s so I think its really cool to hear you were in the same boat, Cags. Shame you quit. I hate hearing that.

I like the Parent Punk idea. Finding an audience may be a challenge but the idea is sound. I'd be tempted to do something similar if I had more
free time. My thing is I've always wanted to front a Cars tribute band however your idea sounds like it might be more fun.

Definitely do it and make recordings to share with us, Cags!

Zarathustra
Be True

13959 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cagliostro wrote:
...Back in the 80's, so many of the punk bands I saw were kids bitching about their parents, so I want to make it like an 80's punk but the parents bitching about their kids. Put on a kind of act that sometimes takes it too far, but also songs about 40-somethings that ring true, such as health concerns and the like. ...

Lyric ideas:

I refuse to get bifocals!!
Fuck the bifocals!!
Fuck the bifocals!!
I will put off that day,
Push the world away,
Keep you all at arm's length!

Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Vespers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: