Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Giants

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Entire Chronicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samrw3
Bloodguard

1450 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Giants Reply with quote

I know this topic has bounced around quite a few threads but throwing in my two cents in a thread by itself.

I know many of you, including myself, were disappointed some by who the giants were treated in The Last Chronicles. To me they do not seem as compelling as in other Chronicles.

I have decided to take my own spin on it and see if others agree.

Firstly, I think to me the problem stems from how great Foamfollower was written in the first several books. Then in the Second Chronicles we have well developed Giant figures.

How I would describe my feeling for the Giants based on that is: Giants are the friend that you want to bond with in experiences. But also the friend you can count on to help you out in times of need. They are the friends that you hang out with at football party and talk sports and politics. They are the ones you invite over to help fix your car. Hey are the friend you go snowmobiling with.

I like the Haruchai as much as anyone. But to me they are more of a coworker type friend. A friend that challenges you to be better. Or perhaps a religious type friend that you look up to.

But hey I feel denied of my buddy type friend in Giants in The Last Chronicles so what can I tell you?
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a fair comment, and a good reason. In support, I would say that there were too many Giants in the Last Cs to get close to. And that Covenant had lots of other choices from whom to seek support and comfort.

But this also: None of the Giants have a significant story arc. They have no problems to solve, no fears to face. Without that, it's hard to empathize. I am sure that the story just could not fit such stuff. Nevertheless, that's the result.

And also this: In the Last Cs, I don't think Covenant's the kind of guy who needs Giants to get him through. Sure, he needs their help. But he doesn't need them for emotional support. He's rather complete in himself now, his insecurities died when he did. So he doesn't form the same sort of needy attachments that he once did.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that too Sam. I loved the giants, especially Foamfollower. Hes everyones fave. And out of all land dwellers they really are the funnest. Yeah the bloodguard are also the awesomest but not the funnest.

I personally didnt find the the story and characters in the Last Chrons as engaging and endearing as those in the original.
I mean I prayed for another chapter of this story and enjoyed the Last Chrons but not as much as the original books.

I liked the land presunbane. I liked the relationship the stonedowners had with the land, the woodhelvin etc.

This was a magical world and possessed a purity and innocence that was lost under the sunbane.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samrw3
Bloodguard

1450 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points wayfriend. I admit it can be difficult for me to take a step back and see things from a story standpoint.

I think bottom line for me is Donaldson might have written Foamfollower as such a great character that it set the bar unbelievably high.

Or let me put it this way imagine the first chronicles with a bunch of giants wielding swords around Covenant. Donaldson could have, in theory, made such a story work. Then my expectations would have been set up - ok this is what to expect from giants. But when you spend an entire series bonding with a certain character - and that relationship, it sets up different expectations.

Anyways I get your points and I cannot debate them. It will help me in my re-read of the last chronicles which is one of my new years resolutions.

PS - I was reading some gradual interview the last few days and seeing how Donaldson views the story really opened up my eyes. I think based on my read of some of his answers that he did not totally comprehend the emotional attachment that many of us placed in reading these works. To me that speaks volumes of his writings that than can elicit emotional attachments. Many books I just read and say oh that's nice and place away never to think about them again.

Ok rambling over.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly right .... he set a high bar. Now we feel entitled to deeply resonant Giants. How dare SRD not give us some!

( I think what he gave us with the Haruchai and the Ranyhyn is fair compensation. )

I don't think that this is a "good" quality of the Last Chronicles, but they do seem to go down better after a period of adjustment. There's plenty of testimony that the second read is a better read.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

😂 hahaha fair call 😏 lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

3328 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were so many Giants in the last chronicles that none of them could be
fully written about. They ended up being hired hands. The second chronicles
had 2 main ones with two sides. The rest of the giants were not reacting with TC or Linden that much.
Foamfollower was important in the first and third book. He was a key player. So
SRD had to develop him further.
We base all Giants and expect interaction in the books because of the first Giant.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We definitely do .. or I definitely did Wink Razz

Foamy was such an awesome giant .. but then I liked the Lords in the original series as well. But Wayfriend is right .. TC didnt require the same level of support .. that he got in the beginning of his journey from Foamy ... in the last chrons.

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

43331 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I know several people who love the Giants of the Last Cs quite passionately. Their posts are here, although they are not so much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Entire Chronicles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: