Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electoral College, Love it or Hate it
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is the Electoral College the best way to elect a President?
Yes
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
No
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
There is a better way
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

57553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If increasing the number of Representatives means increasing their ability to represent their constituents then I could support that. As things currently stand, Members of Congress typically listen only to their large, corporate donors. Sure, they will thank you for your contribution of $100 to the campaign but you will never get to sit down to dinner with your Representative unless you cough up at least $10,000.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

34621 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
According to what I've read, there are approx. 219 million US citizens eligible to vote out of a total population of 319 million.

They don't represent only eligible voters...they represent every person.
[[[HAH! SURE they do. They're supposed to, though.]]]
The average is well over 700k. And that's too many.
I'd prefer 250k-ish...I'd settle for 500k.
Do that...whatever division of population ends up as close as possible to target number.
Draw districts by non-partisan panel.
Change the House to every 4 years instead of 2, and always scheduled in non-Presidential years.
None of that will happen though.
In fact, I doubt any change, no matter how needed, will happen barring some crisis more serious than the financial collapse.

-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male

14676 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:
TheFallen wrote:
According to what I've read, there are approx. 219 million US citizens eligible to vote out of a total population of 319 million.

They don't represent only eligible voters...they represent every person.

Fair enough...that then makes the US "representative per head of population" ratio 728,000 to 1 as you say. And for comparative purposes alone, the UK "representative per head of population" ratio becomes 99,000 to 1, which is nigh on an order of scale lower.

I'm having trouble understanding just why anyone ever thought the Electoral College system would lead to more fairness (or risk less manipulation), even back when it was first created? Take Florida and the Bush/Gore Supreme Court recount, for example... how can it be seen by any means as fair and equitable, when Florida's entire number of 27 elected HoR members went to the GOP, given an (alleged) majority of only 537 votes? Less that 0.001% of the total votes cast in Florida?

What was the EC system meant to guard against and more importantly, how was it meant to so guard?

I'm with Vraith. Chop states into districts - maybe 1,000 in total - and run individual and discrete elections in each for each's own HoR member. That's not full Proportional Representation (and a blessing that it's not), but it's IMO a whole heap more commonsensical.

Never happen, though... not without some cataclysmic event acting as catalyst to promote such sea-change... again as V said.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

57553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
What was the EC system meant to guard against and more importantly, how was it meant to so guard?

When it was designed, there were more people living in rural areas than in large cities; the Electoral College was supposed to make it so that rural voters, who were typically going to be less-educated, could not be swayed en masse by a smooth-talking politician--it is easy to get folks fired up who cannot read a newspaper and who talk politics only at the local pub after a few pints. It is also an extra layer of protection against mob rule. Finally, it makes it so that prospective politicians have to campaign everywhere, not just population centers--since each State's election is independent, you have to campaign in every State if you want to win. Cause: Hillary ignored Wisconsin after receiving the Democrat nomination; Effect: Hillary lost Wisconsin.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1515 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recount in Wisconsin. Hilary join the fray but;

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-11-26/even-obama-slams-steins-recounts-results-accurately-reflect-will-american-people

Saw this headline on Yahoo then after the Hilary join story it disappeared.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

57553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deadline to file for recounts in Pennsylvania was last Monday, 21 November 2016--they missed that deadline.

There is no logical reason for Jill Stein to be pushing for recounts in any event. What, is she hoping to see that she actually got some votes? She didn't win even 1 electoral vote so she is wasting everyone's time and money here.

Recounts happen after every election is over; that is standard operating procedure. No one has to raise fuss over recounts or act as if they never happen.

One op-ed, I don't have the source right now, unfortunately, suggested that the hopes of the Clinton campaign was that if any State got its results reversed then Trump wouldn't have 270 EC votes and the election would default to the House of Representatives as per the Constitution. The thinking is that this would be more "damage" making Trump appear to be "not legitimate"...but...if the House has to decide an election then, according to the Constitution, that is legitimate. It's just weird all the way around.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16173 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Hashi. Stein's being put up to this in order to de-legitimize Trump. By having him have to be confirmed by the House and Senate, it'll be just like Bush in 2000....More popular vote bullshit.

Hillary lost. Hillary conceded. Hillary said she was "horrified" that Trump might not accept the results of the election. Hillary lectured us about the peaceful transfer of power.

Sorry that I'm in a profane mood tonight, but fuck Hillary, fuck her voters, fuck her supporters, and fuck anyone who doesn't see this for the naked manipulation it is.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Ur Dead
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1515 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Translation1 Diamondraught1 Lord's Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where she got all those millions to finance the recount but
Jill Stein may be bilking the Clinton's out of millions..
Funny how the Clinton campaign said it wanted to be in on the recount.
And whom did give what (7 million dollars) to Jill Stein?
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

11963 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the Democrats are saying this is a waste of time and money. Money, they say, that could be used for legitimate election campaigns in the next two years.

This is just another effort for those that wanted Hilary so badly that they will stop at nothing to get what they want. That means burning cars and buildings, bullying Trump voters where they can, and even calling the electors and threatening them and their families. At this point its sad because as Cail rightly pointed out, the liberals were aghast that Trump might say the election wasn't legitimate if he lost. Its time to move on.

On a side note, someone needs to take Trumps twitter account away. He needs to stay out of this and let it play out as the nothing that it is.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

57553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ur Dead wrote:
I don't know where she got all those millions to finance the recount but
Jill Stein may be bilking the Clinton's out of millions..
Funny how the Clinton campaign said it wanted to be in on the recount.
And whom did give what (7 million dollars) to Jill Stein?

George Soros. Anytime the Democrats come up with buckets of cash it is typically because he gave it to them. The lawyer who was a central figure in Clinton's campaign has had Soros as a client for years.

I concur, Cail--someone needs to take away Donald's mobile devices.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
SoulBiter
The Gap Into Spam

Ranyhyn

11963 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read that a Wisconsin judge has refused a request that the recounts be hand recounts rather than electronic. The judge says there is no evidence that there was any hacking of the voting equipment.

edit to add. An interesting tidbit I was also reading.
Quote:
The purpose of the recount challenges in three states is not about the accuracy of votes but to DELAY the final authorized state submission. Stein will work every delaying recount action allowed, such as her lawsuit to require manual review of each ballot, to prevent the conclusion and certification by the Dec. 19 deadline for the Electoral College. The 3 states Electoral votes numbers will then NOT BE INCLUDED.

So I read further there is some merit to this idea although its a long-shot. If all three recount states fail to send in their electoral college votes by the deadline due to not finishing the recounts on time, it is possible that there won't be enough electoral votes to make a majority. If neither candidate gets 270 votes, the election goes to Congress.

My 5 year old nephew Eli
Eli: Dammit!
His mom: Eli, that is not a nice word. We need to find another word to use.
Eli: I am a bad guy mom. I use bad words and fight with my lasers. Dammit!

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

57553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that these recount efforts are taking place only in States which everyone thought would go to Clinton but wound up going to Trump by narrow margins. There is no push to recount in Florida, for example and there are no efforts to recount in States which Clinton won by only a narrow margin. That is evidence supporting the hypothesis that this is Soros money being used in an effort to try and damage the credibility and legitimacy of the upcoming Trump Administration. It will fail, of course--none of these recounts will change the results.

The Democrat Party is still willfully ignoring the fact that it needs to reorganize itself from the top down to the local level. They have lost Congressional seats in the last three elections, they have lost governorships, and they have lost seats in so many State legislatures that it will take them 10 years or more to recover some of those losses. The entire National Committee needs to step down so that new leadership make take over if they want to have any hopes of making gains in 2018 and 2020.

Trying to throw the election to the House of Representatives doesn't make any sense. Not only is that option Constitutional, but Republicans currently control 247 out of the 435 seats, giving them a 56.8% majority. If the vote there goes along party lines Trump still wins and I suspect not all Democrats would vote for Clinton--some of them don't like her.

Perhaps some people are hoping beyond hope that some of the electors will become faithless, but that generally doesn't happen.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16173 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard Eleanor Clift on the radio this morning talking about how the Democrat Party and the population in general were moving more progressive....And I laughed out loud. No Eleanor, the people aren't moving progressive. Progressivism is fringe, and the state of the Democrat Party speaks volumes about that reality.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Zarathustra
Be True

13271 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's odd that Dems weren't so concerned about a rigged election during the primary, but want a recount now.

I think the electoral college represents the fact that the President isn't *our* leader. We the people don't elect him. That's why popular vote doesn't matter. The President is the chief executive of the federal government. The federal government oversees federal issues (duh) and issues between the states. He has nothing to do with our personal, private lives (or he shouldn't). Thus, it is appropriate that the states, as political entities represented by electors, elects the President.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Immanentizing The Eschaton

16261 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No odder really than Reps being so concerned with it until it came out in their favour, surely?

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

13271 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Yes, a hell of a lot odder!!! There was proven fraud and conspiracy within the Democrat primary. They stole it from Bernie. It's a bit ironic, don't you think? Where is the irony on the other side? The difference is like a thief getting upset when someone steals "his" wallet (which he lifted off another person), compared to an innocent person no longer worrying about his wallet getting stolen once he checks and makes sure it's still there. The latter is normal, the former is hypocrisy. That hypocrisy is magnified by the fact that Hillary lectured us during the debates that not accepting the results of the election is un-American and a threat to democracy.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do–back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

57553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demanding a recount is not the same thing as contesting the results of an election. No one expects the results to change, except by the number of votes with which Trump won in the recount States.

I am still a little curious as to why Jill Stein cares but I am pretty sure that George Soros' money has a lot to do with it. I also think she is trying to make herself look like a champion of the people ahead of switching parties and trying to run again as a Democrat in 2020.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Immanentizing The Eschaton

16261 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I missed that you were specifically talking about the primaries.

--A

Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16173 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Demanding a recount is not the same thing as contesting the results of an election. No one expects the results to change, except by the number of votes with which Trump won in the recount States.

I am still a little curious as to why Jill Stein cares but I am pretty sure that George Soros' money has a lot to do with it. I also think she is trying to make herself look like a champion of the people ahead of switching parties and trying to run again as a Democrat in 2020.
Nope, this is all abut de-legitimizing Trump by forcing Congress to appoint him. "Appointed, not elected" is the slogan they're angling for.
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

34621 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cail wrote:
Hashi Lebwohl wrote:

Nope, this is all abut de-legitimizing Trump by forcing Congress to appoint him. "Appointed, not elected" is the slogan they're angling for.

Hmmm. Maybe, Cail...but I ran across some commentary that might support what Hashi said.
Apparently a significant portion of the Green party---including the big boys/women---are mad as hell at Jill for what she's doing, the states she chose to do it in, and especially at the fact that she's doing it in cooperation with Democrats.

-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: