Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Beauty of the Infinite" Glossary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wosbald
Bloodguard

Male

3027 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: "The Beauty of the Infinite" Glossary Reply with quote

+JMJ+

David Bentley Hart's The Beauty of the Infinite is, IMO, one of the best and most significant philosophico-theological works and one which seems poised to become a modern classic. However, many have also noted that it contains a surfeit of 20-dollar words. I don't consider this an understatement. While I'm fairly conversant in philosophy and theology, having read numerous works, especially those which are considered highly challenging, I don't believe that I've ever read a book (excepting perhaps those works of fiction from Stephen R. Donaldson) which has had me "doin' the dictionary" more often. And so, to ameliorate this initial difficulty and to put Hart's seminal masterwork in reach of a wider audience, I decided to undertake a cursory glossary.

Since I was already in process of doing this project, I decided to include many 5-dollar and 10-dollar words, in addition to the plethora of 20-dollar words. There was no reason for me to assume that, simply because a term may be familiar to myself, it must be familiar to everyone.

In addition, there is, preceding the General Glossary, an initial Specific Glossary which gives, along with a few proper nouns, a number of terms-of-art used by more modern philosophers. If the term is strongly associated with a specific philosopher, it is so indicated.

OTOH, terms which have attained classical standing in the Western tradition's canonical lexicon are listed under the General Glossary.

Glossary for David Bentley Hart's The Beauty of the Infinite

Thanked by: Cord Hurn
Linna Heartlistener
"The lady's fate is writ in water."

FemaleRanyhyn

4701 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mithil Stonedown1 Caamora1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "The Beauty of the Infinite" Glossary Reply with quote

Wosbald wrote:
...I don't believe that I've ever read a book (excepting perhaps those works of fiction from Stephen R. Donaldson) which has had me "doin' the dictionary" more often.

Methinks you have come to the right place, sir.
We love snazzy words of all those denominations here... It is condign!
(okay, I'm feeling overly-gleeful.)

Woz, in the Infinite Dictionary, compiled / wrote:
concrescence - the coalescence or growing together of parts originally separate
etoliate - to deplete of vigor or vital essence; to enfeeble
fatidic - of or relating to prophecy

Oh, this is rich! Laughing

Props to you on the project, and I thank ya for sharing.
Wosbald
Bloodguard

Male

3027 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: "The Beauty of the Infinite" Glossary Reply with quote

+JMJ+

As an FWI, I recently did some updates/corrections, so if anyone downloaded the PDF, they'd prolly want to do so again to get the corrected version.

-----------------------------------------

Linna Heartlistener wrote:
Props to you on the project, and I thank ya for sharing.

Thanx, and yer welcome. Very Happy

peter
the spider from Mars

21457 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Applaud Terrific Wos! I'll have fun reading it; expect to see your words cropping up in my posts with regularity as i hoover them up. Laughing

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Close All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: