Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unmasked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16324 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Unmasked Reply with quote

Why Susan Rice's Role In The Obama Spying Story Is A Big Deal

Susan Rice has had a terrible relationship with the truth, and it looks like that relationship keeps getting worse. With zero evidence that there was collusion between the Russians and the Trump campaign during the election, the media keeps beating that drum. With substantial evidence that there's been a coordinated effort to topple Trump (in an eerily reminiscent throwback to how we used to topple Central American governments), the media is silent.

This is a Big Deal. It was no secret that Obama was a petulant child who used the government as a weapon against his enemies. Let's hope that this story isn't brushed aside.

BTW, there was an incredibly prescient quote about this on this week's episode of Homeland.....which was probably written when everyone thought that Hillary was going to win.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Zarathustra
Be True

14334 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it's a big deal. And Drudge has been chronicling how the media is not only ignoring the story, but in some cases defending Rice.

We know how this would play out if it had been Bush who had used government resources to spy on Obama prior to election.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58405 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I saw on this story, CNN was trying to tell people that this wasn't a story and that they weren't going to cover it. That, alone, proves that there is something to the story and that it should be pursued. She is still claiming that the unmasking was part of the normal intelligence operation but the reality of the situation is that they unmasked the names specifically so they could target people in the Trump campaign and/or Trump Administration.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Zarathustra
Be True

14334 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

President Obama's team sought NSA intel on thousands of Americans during the 2016 election
Quote:

During his final year in office, President Barack Obama's team significantly expanded efforts to search National Security Agency intercepts for information about Americans, distributing thousands of intelligence reports across government with the unredacted names of U.S. residents during the midst of a divisive 2016 presidential election.

The data, made available this week by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, provides the clearest evidence to date of how information accidentally collected by the NSA overseas about Americans was subsequently searched and disseminated after President Obama loosened privacy protections to make such sharing easier in 2011 in the name of national security. A court affirmed his order.

The revelations are particularly sensitive since the NSA is legally forbidden from directly spying on Americans and its authority to conduct warrantless searches on foreigners is up for renewal in Congress later this year. And it comes as lawmakers investigate President Trump's own claims his privacy was violated by his predecessor during the 2016 election.

In all, government officials conducted 30,355 searches in 2016 seeking information about Americans in NSA intercept metadata, which include telephone numbers and email addresses. The activity amounted to a 27.5 percent increase over the prior year and more than triple the 9,500 such searches that occurred in 2013, the first year such data was kept._

The government in 2016 also scoured the actual contents of NSA intercepted calls and emails for 5,288 Americans, an increase of 13 percent over the prior year and a massive spike from the 198 names searched in 2013.

The searches ultimately resulted in 3,134 NSA intelligence reports with unredacted U.S. names being distributed across government in 2016, and another 3,354 reports in 2015. About half the time, U.S. identities were unredacted in the original reports while the other half were unmasked after the fact by special request of Obama administration officials.

Among those whose names were unmasked in 2016 or early 2017 were campaign or transition associates of President Donald Trump as well as members of Congress and their staffers, according to sources with direct knowledge.

The data kept by ODNI is missing some information from one of the largest consumers of NSA intelligence, the FBI, and officials acknowledge the numbers are likely much higher when the FBI's activity is_added.

"There is no doubt that there was a spike in the requests to search for Americans in the NSA database," a U.S. official familiar with the intelligence told Circa, speaking only on condition of anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the data. "It's simply easier for people to make requests. And while we have safeguards, there is always concern and vigilance about possible political or prurient motives that go beyond national security concerns."

"This data confirms that there is a lack of acknowledgment that information is being specifically and increasingly mined about Americans for investigations that have little or nothing to do with international terrorism," she added.

The data emerges just weeks after Circa first reported that Obama substantially eased the rules starting in 2011 allowing for government officials, including political appointees, to unmask and obtain information about Americans in NSA intercepts.

The easing allowed appointees like former National Security Adviser Susan Rice_to request and review the unmasked names of Trump campaign or transition officials intercepted in foreign conversations late last year. And it also resulted in the frequent unmasking of members of Congress and their staff, as often as once a month, Circa reported.

Today, the power to unmask an American's name -- once considered a rare event in the intelligence and civil liberty communities -- now resides with about 20 NSA officials.

The FBI, for instance, regularly queries the NSA database and the declassified court document in March said "there is no requirement that the matter be a serious one nor that it have any relation to national security."

"I think it shows that the facade that government gives that these programs are just targeted at foreigners is just that, a facade," Guliani told Circa. "The reality is we have an invasive surveillance program and the data we have shows the impact on Americans is quite substantial."

I remember when this was a BIG DEAL to Democrats:

[name redacted] wrote:
The government if unchecked will use the power of authority for partisan political ends.

I can easily imagine someone using this monitoring to keep tabs on ACLU members, or registered democrats.

We are literally seeing the explicit, specific fears Democrats used to have unfold before our eyes, but because Republicans are the targets, it's a non-story. We have EVIDENCE (unlike the Trump-Russia connection) that Obama and his admin used NSA intercepts to spy on Republican opponents, and Democrats don't care.

God, I hate hypocrisy.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16324 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny how there's been no traffic in this thread. Funny because it's all good in the name of security.

The government knows everything we say and do, and no one gives a shit.
"Again, the administration intentionally hoodwinks us by framing the debate as about fighting terrorism and not about withdrawing the rights granted us by the Constitution." - Unattributed under duress
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

58405 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wasn't any traffic because in the month between my post and Zarathustra's post this morning I don't think the story was going anywhere.

I wonder what event is going to happen to try and deflect attention away from this story this time?

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Cail
Purveyor of dick jokes

MaleRanyhyn

16324 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story was always there, and was more important than anything else in the news. Obama was worse than Nixon when it came to weaponizing the government against his enemies.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

17233 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprises on my side...of course politicians will use their power for their own benefit...that's why nobody ever reduces the powers seized by previous admins...they can use it themselves.

--A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: