Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not Honoring the Past or Rewriting History?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

24216 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when I was in high school were sat down and shown "Roots". (hence the birth of a bunch of "Laquishas, and Taquishas, and etc.)

Be that as it may, while it was a very good series, and put a different face on slaves, compared to "Gone with the Wind, Song of the South, Birth of the Nation, and Mandingo), it did little to show both sides.

Wish they would make every Junior High and High School student sit though Ken Burns "The Civil War". Then maybe they would have an appreciation of what people on both sides of the war had, including slaves and free blacks.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

57558 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Southerners--and this includes most of the people who served in the Confederate Army--were too poor to own slaves. In modern parlance most slave owners were "the 1%" and large plantation owners were "the 1% of the 1%".

I remember when Roots originally aired. Before then there weren't any problem between whites and blacks at my school (in very rural northeastern Louisiana); after Roots then tension started rising. Ironically, what Roots actually did was reopen old wounds and made race relations worse.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
Immanentizing The Eschaton

16261 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

High Lord Tolkien wrote:

Hi Avatar. You got me thinking, SA must also be dealing with this over the past years. And yes they are.

http://ewn.co.za/2015/04/07/Removal-of-apartheid-statues-an-insult-to-SAs-rich-history

But I'm not familiar with the cast of characters, sorry.
Or the Heritage Act.
I tried reading about Heritage Act but I couldn't find a good Wiki article on it that made it simple for me.

Are there any parallels in South Africa wanting to keep their pro-apartheid monuments to the Southern States in the US trying to hang on to their pro-slavery* monuments?

The Heritage Act passed in 1999. Not too long after apartheid ended.
Do you think it would pass today?

(*My apologies, I mean "pro-Southern right for the independence from Federal authority to continue slavery" monuments) Rolling Eyes

Hey HLT. Very Happy

Yes, a couple of years ago it was temporarily a thing, particularly with a fairly radical new political party, the EFF. Not much came of it, at least partly because of that Heritage Act, which basically says that anything which falls into the definition of being part of our heritage, either good or bad, enjoys protected status.

This includes things like archaeological and palaeontological sites, cultural traditions, as well as public monuments and memorials, defined as follows:

Quote:
all monuments and memorials,
(a) erected on land belonging to any branch of central, provincial or local government, or on land belonging to any organisation funded by or established in terms of the legislation of such a branch of government; or
(b) which were paid for by public subscription, government funds, or a public-spirited or military organisation, and are on land belonging to any private individual;

That particular case you linked to, the Rhodes statue, wasn't removed by government. The university on whose grounds it was erected chose to remove it, and it was within their right to do so. The other statues which were protested against were not removed, as they're protected under the act.

And yes, I think the act would still pass. Not only is it about protecting far more than the monuments of the previous regime, but those monuments are still seen as important reminders of where we came from. Something the government is keen for people to remember.

--A

sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

8429 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am from the North and think it is very sad that these groups seek to destroy the past. but it is not unexpected. pc culture being so important to the left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: