Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Geraden Appreciation Thread

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Mordant's Need
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Myste
The Gap Into Spam


Joined: 03 May 2004
Posts: 3029

Thanks: 0
Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Location: Boston, MA
24 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Geraden Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

As I wander through the pages of MN discussion, I notice that poor Geraden is severely under-represented as a subject of new topics. Whenever he is mentioned, it's always part of a discussion of Terisa.

So what's the deal, anyway? Is Geraden just too boring to merit his own character dissection? Is he too-Luke-Skywalker-for-words? We all like him, he's a decent guy, smart, funny, nice, strong, cares about his family, etc....but maybe he's just not Han Solo enough.

And yet...he does kick some serious hiney in MN; and there are some really excellent descriptions of him, and his coming-of-age, throughout the series.

How does he stand up as an independent character? Is he a hero? Is he annoying? Does he have any meaning apart from inspiring Terisa to become real?
_________________
Halfway down the stairs Is the stair where I sit. There isn't any other stair quite like it. I'm not at the bottom, I'm not at the top; So this is the stair where I always stop.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
duchess of malfi
Mother of Dragons, Slayer of Lies

Female
Joined: 15 Oct 2002
Posts: 11104

Thanks: 37
Thanked 31 Times in 28 Posts

Location: Michigan, USA
10479 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Rubber Duck1 Foul Duck1 2007 Watchies


PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Geraden Reply with quote

He's the good and decent guy next door. Smile He is one of the front runners of the sexiest male character thread, IIRC. Wink Smile

But there are depths to him...there is that stubborness that turns him into the oldest Apt ever in the Congery. Kid won't give up, even though everyone laughs at him and considers him hopeless. He doesn't ever give up on having a relationship with Terisa, either,even though the biggest Spoiler:
man ho
in Orison is also after her. Smile

And he is amazingly loyal. Is anyone more loyal to Joyse, other than perhaps Havelock?
_________________
Love as thou wilt.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 4825

Thanks: 966
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts

Location: Alpine, Arizona, USA
4154 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geraden is absolutely admirable. He makes mistakes, like when he decides to capture his brother Nyle, but seems to have no serious character flaw whatsoever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 4825

Thanks: 966
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts

Location: Alpine, Arizona, USA
4154 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geraden, person of the people.

In CHapter 11 of The Mirror Of Her Dreams was wrote:
It took considerably longer than she had expected. In fact, it spread out over several days. Geraden was familiar with a bewildering combination of routes which stretched through Orison from end to end and top to bottom. He had never been able to win admittance to the Congery and its secrets; but he could tell the story behind each of the pennons hanging outside the hall of audiences (each one was the standard of some commander who had been beaten by King Joyse in battle). Most of the high-ranking men and women he and Terisa met in passing either didn't know him or recognized him with amusement bordering on disdain; but every guard, maid, scullion, cook, sweeper, wine steward, armorer, apprentice, plumber, stonemason, and merchant from the deepest storerooms to the highest rafters of the castle seemed to be friend or acquaintance, either of his own or of his family's. And his relationship with all those people was like his knowledge of Orison: he was as clumsy as a puppy, tripping on stairs or his own feet, bumping into walls, dropping things, and falling all over himself with enjoyment whenever someone made a particularly acute jest; yet he held his own among the scullions and armorers and sweepers, in spite of his instinct for mishap, by displaying an unfailing insight and humor that made many of them look at him with affection indistinguishable from respect.


Geraden has worked to make people with no real power feel that they are important and cared about, and he is treasured for it by them. This passage was to me one of the earliest indications that Geraden was truly good at heart, and made it easy for me to dismiss Eremis' accusation that Geraden could ever be a traitor.
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 1447

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts


2254 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Kresh1 Diamondraught1 Mind Meld


PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cord Hurn wrote:
Geraden, person of the people.

In CHapter 11 of The Mirror Of Her Dreams was wrote:
It took considerably longer than she had expected. In fact, it spread out over several days. Geraden was familiar with a bewildering combination of routes which stretched through Orison from end to end and top to bottom. He had never been able to win admittance to the Congery and its secrets; but he could tell the story behind each of the pennons hanging outside the hall of audiences (each one was the standard of some commander who had been beaten by King Joyse in battle). Most of the high-ranking men and women he and Terisa met in passing either didn't know him or recognized him with amusement bordering on disdain; but every guard, maid, scullion, cook, sweeper, wine steward, armorer, apprentice, plumber, stonemason, and merchant from the deepest storerooms to the highest rafters of the castle seemed to be friend or acquaintance, either of his own or of his family's. And his relationship with all those people was like his knowledge of Orison: he was as clumsy as a puppy, tripping on stairs or his own feet, bumping into walls, dropping things, and falling all over himself with enjoyment whenever someone made a particularly acute jest; yet he held his own among the scullions and armorers and sweepers, in spite of his instinct for mishap, by displaying an unfailing insight and humor that made many of them look at him with affection indistinguishable from respect.


Geraden has worked to make people with no real power feel that they are important and cared about, and he is treasured for it by them. This passage was to me one of the earliest indications that Geraden was truly good at heart, and made it easy for me to dismiss Eremis' accusation that Geraden could ever be a traitor.


But maybe that's not just because of Geraden's great personality but also Geraden's family high station in society. Giving his attention and respect to them means a lot in the traditionalist society of Mordant. That might also explain part of the high rankers' disdain towards him. He's not just amusingly clumsy. He mingles with the riffraff.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avatar
Immanentizing The Eschaton


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 55763

Thanks: 72
Thanked 159 Times in 156 Posts

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
23223 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran


PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never really got the impression that the whole class thing was a major part of Mordant. I think he's mostly just seen as a harmless buffoon. A bit too goofy for people.

--A
_________________
Don't believe everything you think.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 4825

Thanks: 966
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts

Location: Alpine, Arizona, USA
4154 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowbinding shoe wrote:
But maybe that's not just because of Geraden's great personality but also Geraden's family high station in society. Giving his attention and respect to them means a lot in the traditionalist society of Mordant. That might also explain part of the high rankers' disdain towards him. He's not just amusingly clumsy. He mingles with the riffraff.


It does seem that throughout Mordant's Need, a portion of the good opinion people have of Geraden has to do with the family that he comes from. But I like to think Geraden is popular with many in Orison's population because he makes them feel valued for their opinions and feelings, as he tries to do for Terisa.
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 4825

Thanks: 966
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts

Location: Alpine, Arizona, USA
4154 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avatar wrote:
Never really got the impression that the whole class thing was a major part of Mordant. I think he's mostly just seen as a harmless buffoon. A bit too goofy for people.

--A


That could be part of it, I suppose.
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
shadowbinding shoe
The Gap Into Spam


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 1447

Thanks: 1
Thanked 30 Times in 29 Posts


2254 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Kresh1 Diamondraught1 Mind Meld


PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avatar wrote:
Never really got the impression that the whole class thing was a major part of Mordant. I think he's mostly just seen as a harmless buffoon. A bit too goofy for people.

--A


Surely they also perceive something of his splendid moral backbone and kindness.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 28 Oct 2013
Posts: 4825

Thanks: 966
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts

Location: Alpine, Arizona, USA
4154 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain


PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadowbinding shoe wrote:
Avatar wrote:
Never really got the impression that the whole class thing was a major part of Mordant. I think he's mostly just seen as a harmless buffoon. A bit too goofy for people.

--A


Surely they also perceive something of his splendid moral backbone and kindness.


I'd like to think so!
_________________
Jehannum
The Celebration of Spring

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Skyweir
Lord of Light


Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Posts: 13478

Thanks: 16
Thanked 52 Times in 52 Posts

Location: Australia
19095 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed an actual good guy.
_________________
health and healing

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
samrw3
Bloodguard


Joined: 11 Nov 2008
Posts: 795

Thanks: 0
Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts


1200 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me he was a relatable character - someone you suspected had better things ahead but just having a hard time finding his own place. Pretty much describes how I see most people, including myself, living.

We also have to remember that Eremis and others suspected Geraden had greater talents and were purposefully trying to keep him down.

I probably need a re-read one of these days but I considered Geraden a hero from the get go and appreciated him more as the story went along.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Avatar
Immanentizing The Eschaton


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 55763

Thanks: 72
Thanked 159 Times in 156 Posts

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
23223 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran


PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he started of a bit naive maybe, but I never had any antipathy for him the way I did for Terisa.

--A
_________________
Don't believe everything you think.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Phoogle Map
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Mordant's Need All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by Earthpower © Kevin's Watch