Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If Photons Have no Mass......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter
the spider from Mars

29162 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:23 am    Post subject: If Photons Have no Mass...... Reply with quote

How come their path can be bent by gravity? What happens to them when you turn off the light (where do they go)? Could you (theoretically) capture light inside a one hundred percent efficient totally internally reflective sphere?

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Zarathustra
Be True

20390 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gravity curves space. Light is following a "straight" path through curved space. I assume light is absorbed, reflected, diffused by the surfaces it hits. So turning off the light just stops the production of more photons. But all the rest have already been absorbed etc. I don't know about the sphere idea. I assume there's no such thing as a 100% reflective anything.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28576 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the reflector, I'm pretty sure that even in the most perfect situation, Compton scattering will cause photon energy loss until eventually your sphere mirror and light universe reaches a heat-death state.
[[I think.]] So, yea, it's trapped in there...but ain't shit you can do with it.

-------------------------------------------------------
the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
peter
the spider from Mars

29162 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but 'the rest have already been absorbed etc' - what does that mean? Photons travel at the speed of light don't they? It's that or nothing in the photon game as I understand it. And when I turn off my bedroom light surely the walls and sundry stuff in my room just don't hoover up all of the photons into the nuclei of their material - what would these photons do in there? Spin around at light speed knocking into things, cease to exist, get absorbed into the protons and neutrons of the above ( most likely I guess, but what effect does that have on the absorbing particle)?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28576 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wrote:
Yes but 'the rest have already been absorbed etc' - what does that mean? Photons travel at the speed of light don't they? It's that or nothing in the photon game as I understand it. And when I turn off my bedroom light surely the walls and sundry stuff in my room just don't hoover up all of the photons into the nuclei of their material - what would these photons do in there? Spin around at light speed knocking into things, cease to exist, get absorbed into the protons and neutrons of the above ( most likely I guess, but what effect does that have on the absorbing particle)?

They pass through, and/or get absorbed, and/or devolve to heat. You might think that would take a long time...
But you have to remember that, in a standard [u.s.] sized bedroom, the photon will reach a wall surface MORE than 50 MILLION times in a second. And even while that is happening, most of them...the ginormous majority of them, even the ones in the visible spectrum, will leave you totally in the dark---because they will never, ever, even indirectly/on the rebound interact with your eye.

the hyperbole is a beauty...for we are then allowed to say a little more than the truth...and language is more efficient when it goes beyond reality than when it stops short of it.
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

Male

5917 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

peter wrote:
And when I turn off my bedroom light surely the walls and sundry stuff in my room just don't hoover up all of the photons into the nuclei of their material - what would these photons do in there?

They hang out. Have a few brewskis. Do photony things.

If they're not gettin' all up in my bidniz, I'm not gonna pry into theirs. Let the photons be, I say.

peter
the spider from Mars

29162 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing I'll buy that Woz! ..........(but only after this) ..........

I've got to try to nail this V, what does 'gets absorbed' mean here? If I get it right a photon is a particle - a gauge boson ( I just checked Wink ) - and particles interact with each other. I have trouble with the idea of photons just being sucked up by other particles and nothing happening to the latter as a result. Is this a case where the physicality of the photon and the energy it represents are simply one and the same thing (so that in absorbing the photon the absorbing particle simply jumps to a higher energy state). ie Mass and energy down at this level really are just the same thing (rather than being interconvertable)?

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Vraith
LibTard, Mr. Reliable.

28576 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Raver1 Wraith1 Caesure

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wrote:
Laughing I'll buy that Woz! ..........(but only after this) ..........

I've got to try to nail this V, what does 'gets absorbed' mean here? If I get it right a photon is a particle - a gauge boson ( I just checked Wink ) - and particles interact with each other. I have trouble with the idea of photons just being sucked up by other particles and nothing happening to the latter as a result. Is this a case where the physicality of the photon and the energy it represents are simply one and the same thing (so that in absorbing the photon the absorbing particle simply jumps to a higher energy state). ie Mass and energy down at this level really are just the same thing (rather than being interconvertable)?

Things do happen.
Some photons don't hit shit, and just go on by. [you want a perfect reflector, but you can't have one. Sorry.]
But even if you did...when the photon interacts, totals must remain the same---but SOME is transferred. Kinda like billiard balls [kinda].
The "reflected" one is lower energy/wavelength.
Times 50 million per photon per second.
In reality, your reflector simply cannot reflect perfectly...it re-radiates in all directions, not just back in even IF it "intercepts" all photons and reflects all energy/wavelengths which it also cannot do.
A [near] perfectly reflective room would get dark much more slowly [at least from a photon point of view] but it would endarken [[you might perceive it as "boy it's getting dark...but I gotta take off this sweater in certain ranges/situtations]]
[[btw...absorption (why does absorb become ption not btion? I'll have to look that up. ) wavelength, re-radiation is EXACTLY why more CO2 in the atmosphere means warmer planet]]

[[and I'm sure there's lots of other crap going on in your sphericalmirrorverse, too]]

peter
the spider from Mars

29162 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed V, could you but know........ Laughing

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22622 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vraith wrote:

Things do happen.
Some photons don't hit shit, and just go on by. [you want a perfect reflector, but you can't have one. Sorry.]
But even if you did...when the photon interacts, totals must remain the same---but SOME is transferred. Kinda like billiard balls [kinda].
The "reflected" one is lower energy/wavelength.
Times 50 million per photon per second.
In reality, your reflector simply cannot reflect perfectly...it re-radiates in all directions, not just back in even IF it "intercepts" all photons and reflects all energy/wavelengths which it also cannot do.
A [near] perfectly reflective room would get dark much more slowly [at least from a photon point of view] but it would endarken [[you might perceive it as "boy it's getting dark...but I gotta take off this sweater in certain ranges/situtations]]
[[btw...absorption (why does absorb become ption not btion? I'll have to look that up. ) wavelength, re-radiation is EXACTLY why more CO2 in the atmosphere means warmer planet]]

[[and I'm sure there's lots of other crap going on in your sphericalmirrorverse, too]]

great example - and great coverage. I am loving this forum - I have passed it by thinking its probably coding and computer stuff ..

Enjoying these threads a lot!
Cheers - everyone!

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Loresraat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: