Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bohemian Rhapsody
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

5192 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: Bohemian Rhapsody Reply with quote

Anyone? Very Happy

Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant wait to see this. I love Queen and Freddie Mercury was such a vocal phenomena. ❤️ Farrokh Bulsara is pretty much unmatched. I wasnt originally eager as wasnt sold on Malek .. but Mercury was Tanzanian and Paisis, he could pull it off ok 🤷‍♀️ And friends have seen it and said it was really good. Plus all vocals in the movie are Mercury and Lambert ... which kinda begs the question why Lambert? I mean his good but why not just use all Mercury vocals.

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae

9341 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope to see it. Love Queen!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driving 1.5hrs home having just got out of the theatre .. and seeing this .. and prepare for tears and lots of them ... oh my fucking gold it was awesome ... a great tribute to Queen and even greater tribute to Freddie 💗💗💗❤️💗💗💗💗

Original tracks .. but as always you want more, more, more and more.

Brilliant .. loved it and thought Malek did a good job .. not precisely a physical replica but got Freddies movements, walking down pretty darn good for not actually being Freddie. Love, love loved it .. highly recommended

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

5192 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it at the local independent cinema (10 minutes away so not as much of a journey Very Happy ). I had the same reaction. I really loved the film. My judgement may be clouded because I have always been a huge Queen fanboy Laughing. I think it is very effective on the big screen, the music is wonderful. The process of creating some of the songs was interesting to watch, as well as the relationships between some of the main characters. I might even see it again before it finishes on the big screen.

To me Malek looked like Freddie more in the earlier years. Once he got the "Village People" hair cut, you could see some physical differences, but when he had the long hair, combined with the mannerisms, he sure looked like Freddie!
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he did good .. I kinda wished his hair was just a tad darker, if Im honest lol 😂 but stellar job .. absolutely

Zarathustra
Be True

20418 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minor spoilers follow . . .

Very good movie. Highly recommended. I loved the parts where they are shown creating their music, including the arguments about their musical direction. I loved seeing the drive and inspiration that moves such people to chase their dreams, even one as crazy and unlikely as a rock star. As a musician and songwriter who never made more than a couple hundred bucks from any gig, I am in awe of people who climb to the top from the bottom, chasing this improbable dream. It takes a special kind of person.

My only complaint is that it's treated like the Freddie Mercury story rather than the Queen story. But that's understandable since our pop culture treats singers as if they are more important than the guys who create the music (yes, I know Freddie played some piano and wrote some of their biggest songs--but they ALL wrote hits). For instance, I don't understand why they think waving your arms around and strutting are talents. If Freddie had been a background dancer, we would have thought he sucked. So why are his mannerisms impressive just because he's singing? I thought they just distracted from his performance, his voice. I'd MUCH rather listen to Freddie than have to be subjected to watching him. I guess I feel like Brian May in the press conference: "Doesn't anyone want to discuss the album??" Wasn't the music the most important thing?

Queen was an awesome band, greater than the sum of its parts (as the failure of solo careers and post-Mercury Queen showed). It was torn apart by a lead singer who couldn't keep his dick in his pants, even married, a sexual promiscuity that literally killed him. And it wasn't through ignorance. I watched a Queen documentary last night where one of Freddie's gay friends asked him if he was going to change his behavior in light of the "new disease" (prior to it being named), and he responded, "Fuck it. I'm going to do everything with everyone." It's a sad and pointless loss by a man who lived a life of hedonistic irresponsibility, who is given (in my opinion) too little criticism because his lifestyle was viewed as part of his persona, his style. And he gives the impression that his fame and public adoration gave him the license to do so, as if even to him the two were intrinsically linked. But if he were anyone else (say your husband or your son) and not a "rock god," I don't think we'd be celebrating such a life as an inspiration, but rather a "cautionary tale," as even the movie ironically and explicitly avoids doing, even going so far as to put these words in Freddie's mouth so that he can deny them.

While I did tear up at the final performance of the movie, the Live Aid show, I thought the shots of people in the audience hugging their dads etc. were over-the-top cheesy. But hell, I wasn't there, maybe 1000s of people actually did break out into spontaneous hugs at the sound of Queen songs. LOL. However, the climax, informed by the knowledge of his impending death, did help to make that performance much more meaningful and powerful than anyone in that hugging audience could have known at the time. If you go back and watch the actual performance by Freddie at this show, you won't see all the little looks on his face (or Brian May's) that reinforce this impression--those were added by the actor(s), though it did add an emotional cinematic punch.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

5192 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree that watching people achieve their dreams through an amazing combination of balls, talent and luck, is great to see. I'm one of those "musicians" that never had the balls (or arguably the talent) to follow through. But there are millions who probably did have the talent and guts, but not necessarily the luck. Queen was definitely a unit that couldn't be divided - have you heard any Brian May solo albums? Not great. Laughing They needed Freddie, and Freddie needed them - which was well portrayed in the movie.

Freddie was probably the natural main story character because of his outrageous nature and antics - the others seemed more reserved and understated, at least that has been the impression I've had through interviews over the years. Roger Taylor and Brian May were executive producers of the movie, so I'm assuming they wanted it that way. John Deacon retired from public life soon after Freddie died. Freddie's stage performances were unique and obviously not to all tastes, but they made a large impression (think Peter Garret from Midnight Oil - he had a very weird unique "dancing" style. I hated it, but it had an impact). His reckless 80s behaviour was his undoing. My guess is that that "style" of person cannot hit the off switch. And he paid the ultimate price.

Queen became a cohesive unit again from Live Aid onward. They produced 3 more albums while Freddie was still alive. I have seen the Live Aid concert a few times, and I thought they recreated it incredibly well, although I agree that the close-up shots of the crowd detracted from the show, and added extra cheese! Of course, as a Queen fan, and for the music, I was happy to overlook it.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here StevieG.. ❤️ Loved and want to see it again.

Cagliostro
Bandwagon Puppet

MaleRanyhyn

4538 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Covenant's Novels3 Tranquil Hegemony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw it on Monday, and I felt it was a bit of a John Deacon telling, if you catch my drift. With Freddie gone, Brian and Roger seemed to really turn it into a brand to try to hang on and keep the cash cow going as much as possible. I have great respect for the two of them, but I think they recognized that without Freddie, there wasn't much more they could do. The posthumous album (Made In Heaven) is not entirely unlistenable, and has a gospel number that I'd argue is as good as anything else they put out in the later years. But it is hard to not feel that it was a bit of a final cash grab. Then they toured with others fronting them, and have felt a bit like Eric Idle with Python - see what else we can churn out under the name to keep the money coming. Of course they were executive producers. If it is a hit, and I believe it is, the money keeps coming.
I've been sorely tempted to pick up a Brian May album a time or two, and I'm sad to hear they suck from someone whose musical taste I respect. I have always liked his voice and most of his songs in Queen, but have never heard anything good about his solo work. I heard Roger Taylor's band The Cross and hated it. This was in the 70s, I think.
With all that negativity I've just spewed, I've been a huge Queen fan pretty much since right before News of the World hit, and hit big, and learned to sing from these boys. I too am a failed musician. And I think Freddie's talent on stage was not so much the dance moves as the flamboyancy and the theatricality of him. Fascinating; like watching a snake.
The movie played fast and loose with the facts and especially the timelines. But overall, I wasn't too annoyed because I had fun throughout it, and loved hearing Queen played loud in the theater, and hearing these alternate versions of the songs. My understanding is that they blended Freddie's voice with a soundalike and Rami's voice to get what they did. And it worked and it all sounded so damn good.
When I start to criticize a movie, I try to think about how I could make it better, and this is one of the few times I've come up empty of late. I think there really isn't a whole lot to the Queen story that couldn't be better served through documentary, but doing a biopic, they had to invent a bit more drama then there was, and while they didn't swing for the fences, they definitely nailed it.
One last thing - the guy who played John Deacon I spent a large chunk of time trying to decide where I'd seen him before. All I could picture was him as a boy. After I got home, I looked him up - he was the kid from Jurassic Park. Blew me away.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
So get wasted all of the time
And you'll have the time of your life
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I had no idea ... I would never have made that connection. I thought the BR casting was excellent.

Totally agree .. Freddie was an incredible performer and Im glad they focussed on his connecting with audiences and fans on stage. Cos THAT to me was a huge part of his flamboyance.. sure he was .. but he loved to perform with and for the fans.

Cags sooooo great to see you .. how the hell are you? Moved and settled? Been thinking of you, as has all of Mallorys..

Cagliostro
Bandwagon Puppet

MaleRanyhyn

4538 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had some illness. Hit 103.8 degrees F. Which I believe is a new record for me. Had to struggle to speak and get my thoughts across coherently, but narrowly avoided the hospital. But I'm all fever free now.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad poor you

Glad youre out of the woods .. so to speak. Very Happy

Damelon
Lord

2094 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to wait until it comes out on Netflix. A local critic who's opinion I respect hated the movie for the liberties it took with Freddie Mercury's story. His complaint was that while there are usually some liberties taken in a biopic this wasn't close to true to life. He liked the actor who played Freddie, but thought the script was a load of crap.

So I'll wait on it till it's available to watch at home.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

Cagliostro
Bandwagon Puppet

MaleRanyhyn

4538 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a good sound system, then wait. If not, see it at the theater. The music is the best part, at least to me. The script was bad, but something about the delivery of the movie was such fun, I felt good about seeing it in the theater.

Life is a waste of time
Time is a waste of life
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too .. was phenomenal Very Happy

Lazy Luke
Giantfriend

826 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damelon wrote:
A local critic [...] thought the script was a load of crap.

Maybe Don't Stop Me Now, would've made for a better biopic Wink
Zarathustra
Be True

20418 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The script is fine. I've seen it twice now. Don't let critics make your choices for you. It is something you'd want to see in the theater, like Cag says. The scenes from Live Aid drop you right into the crowd at times, so you feel like you are there.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Skyweir
Lord of Light

22747 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely agree .. especially the not letting critics decide for you. And definitely better in the Theatre.. unless of course you have a phenomenal home Theatre system, which we dont.

Definitely have a box of tissues no matter which way you do go.. Crying or Very sad happy tears and sad tears 😭

dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

14910 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I loved this movie. We agree that it's one to see in the theater if possible.

I learned a lot about Freddie - for example, I didn't know about Mary Austin. I've since read that after his death, he left his mansion and the bulk of his estate to her, and that she still lives in the mansion today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: