Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Light Cameras
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you like the idea of Red Light Cameras
Great idea, ought to be on all of them
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Necessary evil, don't like it, but what else can be done?
28%
 28%  [ 8 ]
Don't care one way or the other
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Bad idea, if the cops can't be there to catch'em, that's too bad
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Next best thing to a big brother state, f***ing horrible idea, make them fat ass'd cops do their job.
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

27179 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Red Light Cameras Reply with quote

The first time I heard of the program I was dead set against it, however, in recent times, around here in NE Florida at least, the epidemic of Red Light runners has gotten so bad, that I've found myself doing a 180 on this one, and I now support the program.

Your thoughts and comments on the program.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
kevinswatch
"High" Lord

Male

Location: In the dark, lonely cave that dwells within my eternal soul of despair. It's next to a Pizza Hut.
5855 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Raver1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I donno, I guess Red Light cameras are all right. Running red lights really can lead to some bad accidents.

Seat belt laws on the other hand...-jay
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn

9984 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we lost a nephew of julie's because he was hit by a woman trying to run a light.
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

6362 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that traffic tickets should add violation points, but not fund the state treasury.

There is a fine enough involved in the mandatory auto insurance that increases in cost as a result of traffic tickets, so the state filling it's own coffers doesn't serve a purpose other than providing an additional means by which the state can extract money from it's citizens.

p.s. A redlight camera doesn't get the context of an event the way a police officer can. I had a person come to a instant deadstop in front of me at the instant the light turned yellow at an intersection upon seeing a police officer on his bike, by the time I braked, changed lanes, and enterred the intersection, it had changed. The officer didn't even pull me over, as he understood the context. A red light camera at the intersection would have treated me exactly the same as soomeone who was accelerating into a red light intersection.

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22611 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Haruchai1 2010 Watchies

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrible.

They're revenue collection, that's all.

Link
Link
Link
Link

Now maybe I'm just bitter, having sent a check to the Montgomery County government on Friday for one of these things. But they're ridiculous. And no, I didn't run a light. I jammed on my brakes and stopped just past the line. I was behind a tractor-trailer and couldn't see the light at all. The mailed photo showed my car slowing during the three pictures, but oddly enough, doesn't show the line (it was dark out). So I'm out $75, 'cause that's easier and cheaper than trying to fight it.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

9984 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe i am for the cameras because julie had to be cut out of her car because someone ran a red light.
iQuestor
Unthanked

Ranyhyn

468 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Member of THOOLAH1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the whole traffic ticket thing is a scam. I got a bogus (and I do mean bogus) ticket last year for .... blocking an intersection. Thing was, it wasnt an intersection, just a large company who had a traffic light at their outlet onto the main road. The other side of the "intersection " was a dead end with just enough space to hold a cop car. Traffic was flowing and I was too, but it stopped suddenly I was in the middle. I checked my 6 (behind me) and saw no one was coming, and I scooted to the left lane which allowed me to be clear of the intersection. I was blocking an emply drive for about 20 seconds. The cop in the dead end pulled out, lights on, and proceeded to block the intersection for about 3 minutes until the traffic cleared. I got a ticket. I went to court, but it was just a formality where I either pled guilty or set a court date not sooner than 18 months later. The cop didnt have to be there. SO unless yo uwant it hanging over your head for a year and a half, you just pay the damned thing, and they set it up that way because they know they can get away with it.

traffic cameras? Its hard to say. yes, they are nothing more than a good valve for revenue generation. but what is its 4:30 in the AM and not another car for miles? your late for the airport, and the light is 5 minutes (I timed the damned thing) -- why should I get a ticket in that case?
Plissken
Why Me?

8258 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Mod Squad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've seen in traffic court, if you can prove you weren't driving the car (or if the picture doesn't prove it was you - either because the picture is blurry, or because your car is too far into the intersection for the camera to record your face) the ticket is thrown out. I don't have strong feelings about them one way or another. It's probably better for the police to be out stopping serious crime than pulling you over for a petty traffic offense, but I was taught that radar guns were too invasive when I was growing up - so they kinda creep me out.

"If you're going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh. Otherwise they'll kill you." - George Bernard Shaw
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

27179 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was just people blowing through light when it turned yellow, and the light turned red as they were in the middle of the intersection, I wouldn't have a problem. What I've noticed however is that more and more, many are just about ignoring the red light if it has turned read within the last 3 seconds or so.

I've gotten to the point now that I look both ways, count to five, and pray that I don't get run over by some idiot.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Tjol
The Gap Into Spam

6362 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rawedge Rim wrote:
If it was just people blowing through light when it turned yellow, and the light turned red as they were in the middle of the intersection, I wouldn't have a problem. What I've noticed however is that more and more, many are just about ignoring the red light if it has turned read within the last 3 seconds or so.

I've gotten to the point now that I look both ways, count to five, and pray that I don't get run over by some idiot.

I've missed several accidents by simply waiting a few moments if I pull up to an intersection as it turns green. Not very often that you enter into a situation with light traffic in southern california, but I've on three occasions so far, saved myself some serious physical harm, by pausing a couple seconds after the signal changes rather than punching it on the light change. Twice it was a diesel truck running the red light, once it was just a large format suv.

I still don't like the state making revenue without actually doing anything to earn it.

You work while you can, because who knows how long you can. Even if it's exhausting work for less pay. All it takes is the 'benevolence' of an incompetant politician or bureaucrat to leave you without work to do and no paycheck to collect. --Tjol
Immanentizing The Eschaton

29181 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL

We've had them here for most, if not all, of my life. Not every traffic light, but they've always been around. Speed-trap cameras too.

*shrug* If you think you had a reason to go through it, you can contest the fine in court. Most people don't bother though.

--A

The Dreaming
21st Century Schizoid Man

Male

6657 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Free Lunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it depends on the situation. I think everyone agrees that the 3 AM deserted intersection red light is a pain, but there *are* people who honestly have no regard for the safety of anyone else and deserve to be punished. Running a red light is a hell of a lot more dangerous than speeding. (Although no one really knows what *the* most dangerous thing to do is, which is change lanes in an intersection.)

I *am* curious as to what kind of car Cail drives. I have a guess Smile I'll put in in an envelope on my desk.
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22611 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be wrong. I drive the Official Car of Aging Vegan Lesbians......A Subaru Outback. You wouldn't believe the looks I get. I've got half a mind to slap an NRA sticker on it.

You will still get the ticket unless you rat out the person who was actually driving your car (it's in the links fellas).

Look, I'm all about public safety, and I think there's a special place in Hell for people who run red lights, but I'm completely against cameras and the assorted chicanery that goes along with them (shortened yellow lights, etc.).
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Damelon
Lord

2216 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red light cameras are relatively new near me. I have no problems with them, running a red is a pretty risky maneuver. Speed trap cameras I haven't seen around where I live, but I've seen them in Arizona. Though I suppose they're not speed trap cameras per se since they warn you that a camera is set up.
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Dreaming
21st Century Schizoid Man

Male

6657 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Free Lunch

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, traps are abominable. I *know* there are some lights that don't stay yellow as long as you know they should be, and the rules for where running a yellow becomes running a red change from cop to cop. (I have gotten conflicting answers from several local policeman) Those aren't the people who need tickets, it's the people with little to no regard for other drivers, the Brazenly dickish beemer/mercedes driver.
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22611 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The articles make a good point....If someone is driving recklessly enough to blow through a light, then they need to be pulled over.
iQuestor
Unthanked

Ranyhyn

468 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Member of THOOLAH1 SRD's Green Rock

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In GA, as long as you entered the intersection on yellow versus red, you are legally OK.

My wife got a camera ticket last year. SHe did say in GA though, on the news, a guy got a ticket, but he was out of town. He left his sports car to be relaired at a garage, and they obviously drove it either to test or whatever. The guy has been to court twice so far, in what should be an open and shut case -- he could prove that he was out of town and that the car was in the possession of a garage.

This leads me to lean towards no cameras -- if they cannot prove its you, and you can prove you werent in the car, how can you be liable for the ticket????
sgt.null

MaleRanyhyn

9984 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iQuestor wrote:

This leads me to lean towards no cameras -- if they cannot prove its you, and you can prove you werent in the car, how can you be liable for the ticket????

because you are responsible for your car. you loan it out - you need to tell the court who you loaned it out to.
Cail
Banned

MaleRanyhyn

22611 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? So by that logic, if someone borrows your car and kills someone with it, you should go to jail for murder?
DukkhaWaynhim
Dukkha Happens

Male

4070 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 I Love KW1 Thundarr the Barbarian1 Fragment of the Illearth Stone

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a stretch, sure, but why is it that your car insurance gets the bill when someone you know is involved in an accident in your car?

dw
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: