Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Desperation....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baradakas
Lord of Muffins

Male

197 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lomillialor1 I Love KW1 Soaring Woodhelvin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Desperation.... Reply with quote

This book was really good (IMHO), but the bit with the snakes killing everyone weakened it for me. Anyone else have a part in this book they just didn't like? Unless it's all of it, in which case just say 'hated it'.

-B

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

His response: "Holy $&!^. He's not kidding! Look at all these muffins!"
Revan
Don

1120 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread was sitting here on it's lone some... I felt sorry for it... it doesn't deserve to be isolated...
birdandbear
Fly By Night

Female

3428 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperation was on oh, probably tier 3 of my personal Stephen King pyramid. It goes something like this:

The Dark Tower
The Stand, The Talisman, It
Black House, Insomnia, Rose Madder, Desperation, Bag of Bones, Hearts in Atlantis
The Regulators, The Long Walk, Dolores Claiborne, Gerald's Game, Dreamcatcher, Salem's Lot, Needful Things
Stock Horror: Carrie, Cujo, Firestarter, Christine, etc.

And of course, that's not all of them, but something like that....Wink

So, I liked Desperation. Very Happy
Baradakas
Lord of Muffins

Male

197 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... a pyramid? Cool idea.

Needful Things
The Stand, The Dark Half, Desperation
Carrie, The Shining, Pet Semetary,

The Dark Tower (I'm gonna be flamed for this but I hated the first book and never even tried to read the others)

-BtC

"Mostly muffins sir."- My answer in response to the question posed by the officer, "Son, do you have anything on you I should know about?"

birdandbear
Fly By Night

Female

3428 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not at all, Baradakas, we don't flame people here, only sautee them until golden brown. Razz Wink

Quote:
The Dark Tower (I'm gonna be flamed for this but I hated the first book and never even tried to read the others)

*sigh* The most common complaint of all. Actually, maybe the only real complaint. People who've read all of them may have gripes here and there, but I've never met anyone who read them all and still didn't like the series.

If you're interested in trying again, my advice to you is forget the first book, and skip to the second. You can start from there without having to know what happened in the first one. The second may be dry as well at first, but if you stick with it until Roland reaches the first door, and you still don't like it, you'll probably never learn to. What's behind that first door is probably my favorite part in the whole thing. Cool

And you can always go back and re-read the first one once you've been converted. Razz
Baradakas
Lord of Muffins

Male

197 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, B&B, you're probably right. King has rarely dissapointed me, and I should probably give em another shot.

-BtC

Zarathustra
Be True

20105 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost done with this one. I'm on the China Pit part.

I've got to say that the pacing is damn near perfect in this novel, better than any other SK novel I've read. It seems that all his books have a great hook and a powerful ending, but inevitably they all reach that middle phase that seems to go on too long, straining credulity, leading to the "WFT am I reading? This is bullshit" response. My suspension of disbelief starts to wear thin. But then they always wow you in the end.

This time, I don't feel any missteps. Right when I feel things like, "Okay, they've been locked up in that jail long enough," they get out. Or, when they settle down to the theater, and I'm thinking, "how is this any better?" everything starts to fall apart for the protagonists. It feels that he is very conscious of reader expectations, in a way that makes it feel natural and organic, not planned or artificial.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23813 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally enjoy this one, although I get confused when I pair it with The Regulators. Very Happy

--A

Zarathustra
Be True

20105 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had the Regulators. I've started Insomnia, and it's a bit slow.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Immanentizing The Eschaton

23813 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I love Insomnia. Very Happy Just wait. Very Happy Its relation to the DT is pretty tenuous, but it reveals Kings experience with hallucinogens.

--A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Stephen King Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: