Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ninth House, by Leigh Bardugo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rigel
Tenno Awoken

2094 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Ninth House, by Leigh Bardugo Reply with quote

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/43263680-ninth-house

It's Harry Potter for adults.
Rigel
Tenno Awoken

2094 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, OK, here you go Wink

It's your basic kid-discovers-magic-is-real-and-goes-to-school, except the protagonist is in college. Yale, in fact.

The premise is that the secret societies at Yale (Skull and Bones, for instance) are always playing around with occult magic, and have had some unfortunate accidents. To keep things from getting out of hand, a specific house was founded to watch over the others, and stop them from misbehaving ("No more dead hobos" is their unofficial motto).

When school authorities discover a girl with the unusual ability to see ghosts without any magical assistance, they decide to give her a full-ride scholarship just to bring her into this society, thinking she'd be useful to have around.

But trying to survive regular courses at Yale is difficult enough without having extra courses in the occult, watching over midnight rituals, and, oh yeah, being a high school drop-out and drug addict.

I quite enjoyed the book; the author is a known YA novel, and this is her first series for adults. While not as emotionally complex as, say, James Baldwin, it's refreshing to see themes such as consent and victimhood being treated in the context of occult magic.
Linna Heartbooger
What if you are a sine qua non for a redemption?

FemaleRanyhyn

7134 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora1 Member of Linden's Army1 Hurtloam

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, hey!
I read this shortly after you posted it, and enjoyed your synopsis, Rigel!
Maybe it will get me into a book I wouldn't likely have stumbled upon otherwise. (or maybe not... don't know.)

I think that reading about undergrad culture at Yale would be enjoyable, or at least satisfy me being pointlessly curious.
I suspect that even if the house WERE NOT established to "watch over the other students," (do the students in the other houses know?) a change like establishing another house would cause resentment. (though perhaps mostly at the administration, and only partly at the 9th house's denizens)
The unofficial motto amuses.

His sense of evil is diluted or lacking altogether, and so he has forgotten the price of restoration.
When he reads a novel, he wants either his sense tormented or his spirits raised..."
-Flannery O'Connor
Immanentizing The Eschaton

32156 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like something I would read, will keep an eye out. Very Happy

--A

Linna Heartbooger

FemaleRanyhyn

7134 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY! My awareness that the book "Ninth House" existed was perfectly good social capital the other day.

I basically gave my synopsis of your synopsis, Rigel, so thank you. Big Grin
(One or more of the people I was talking to said they were thinking of reading it too. And it led to more interesting conversation.)

Rigel wrote:
OK, OK, here you go Wink

It's your basic kid-discovers-magic-is-real-and-goes-to-school, except the protagonist is in college. Yale, in fact....

His sense of evil is diluted or lacking altogether, and so he has forgotten the price of restoration.
When he reads a novel, he wants either his sense tormented or his spirits raised..."
-Flannery O'Connor
Rigel
Tenno Awoken

2094 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! Have you read it yet?
Linna Heartbooger

FemaleRanyhyn

7134 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am now!
and it is very fun.
and disturbing.

It is totally not Harry Potter for adults, though. Wink
(I state that in my v. expert opinion, having read maybe 30 pages. if I'm generous with my estimate.)

Anyways, my hubbie is also reading it, and seems to be enjoying it.

-Flannery O'Connor
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General Fantasy/Sci-Fi Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: