Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Recent Ban of a Member
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male

95911 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:
Thank you Hashi .. I appreciate your edit.

You are welcome. Responded to your PM with my reasons why.

Now, back on to the topic at hand....truthfully, this thread had pretty much died until Zarathustra came back in and restarted it. The last post was from 22 March then all of a sudden 7 June; now, here we are, 6 pages later and the bickering over the decision from 5 months ago is back, which is a shame.

It is regrettable that Cail got banned. It is regrettable that people are still debating about who caused it and what pebble finally precipitated the avalanche. I tell all of you right now: truthfully, it doesn't matter. What happened happened; nothing anyone says or does now will undo the past--time to move on to current topics which are happening right now.

If the train of logic is that Cail got banned because he had a history of making things personal, then look back over the last couple of pages in this very thread and ask yourselves how long it might be before it happens to someone else. Some of the things being said are starting to become personal; it would be a shame for another poster to join Cail in Limbo.

No, I won't be edit anyone else's posts--my earlier action was a unique situation that probably will not happen again for a long time--and I won't be locking the thread. I will advise walking away from the thread, though--real life is stressful enough, so there is no need to add any more stress onto yourselves.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.

Mensa and Intertel
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn

21188 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny enough though. This is the most active thread at this time. Z was correct in his assertion that the Tank thrives on disagreement. If everyone agrees it becomes an echo chamber and eventually no one posts.

On someone that is new leaving. No one told him/her to leave or ran them off. As I was told when I mentioned that I might stop posting here and again paraphrasing "That's your decision". So no one runs me off. If I decide that I don't want to post here, for any reason, then that is a decision I make. That decision might be based on the actions of others, but still it would be my decision. Frankly if someone cant handle the mild stuff that I saw going on, then they would not have stayed anyway.

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "***

** Note to add that ALL of the hens have since disappeared***

"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Zarathustra
Be True

32349 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skyweir wrote:

And on that note Im done with defending others. I like to see NOT THE WORST in fellow posters. I will stick up for the new guy ... because hes a fucking new guy. FFS .. this is a fucking community board ... well congratulations Board we lost another newbie.

I am acquainted with dicks 😉 Ive worked with dicks aamof ... I know how to recognise a dick from a mile off ...
I'm not so sure you can spot dicks a mile off. If Findail has self-banned, that's a shame to be so cowardly, but I didn't read a single post of his where he wasn't insulting someone's intelligence. I was his most egregious target because I stood up to him. The dude actually likened me to a religious fundamentalist. Me. An atheist who despises religious fundamentalism! He called me a weirdo, a freak, and not a single moderator said, "Hey, new guy, just so you know, we don't call people names on this board." Not a single one of you stood up for me. (Not that I needed it.) But you did defend the "new guy" and lament his leaving (if he has actually left?). You didn't mourn the absence of any of us (TF, Nihilo, SB, me, Cail). And yet you did lament Cag's departure from the Tank. It seems that you only regret when people leave who lean toward your side, politically.

Hashi wrote:
this thread had pretty much died until Zarathustra came back in and restarted it.
You're welcome! This place hasn't been this active or lively until I did. As SB says, it proved my point that people like drama, conflict, and controversy a lot more than they pretend.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male

30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair Zee - and as SB has already pointed out - for whatever reason, Wayfriend decided to rush in and dump a bucketload of gasoline on the clearly still glowing embers too.

You ain't claiming all the credit, dude Razz

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
Rawedge Rim
My quest continues

Male

27566 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caamora2 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 Dalek

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've stayed out of this debate so far, but just to put my 2 cents in:

I wasn't, and I'm still not happy with the life time ban. I don't see where the offense merited it. Maybe a couple of monthes........

Now I do see where Cail merited some kind of discipline; hell, politically Cail and I were fairly close, but he got to the point where he was annoying the hell out of me, and I called him a couple of times on it.

Still think the lifetime ban was to stiff a penalty.

"Whenever you dream, you're holding the key, it opens the the door to let you be free" ..RJD
Lazy Luke
License to Copycat

2870 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

high impedance input network [A] to switch 1
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male

30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's something.

First off I freely acknowledge that this ain't no democracy...

I also acknowledge that this ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no fooling around...

...but that latter is beside the point entirely.

I'm aware of lots of Tank posters, whether regulars or vanishingly rare visitors, who have stated their own personal opinion - either publicly or privately - that applying a permanent ban in the case of Cail (NB using him purely as an exemplar) was either:-

Too draconian

Too authoritarian

Inappropriate

Misguided

Against the core principles of the Tank

Not commensurate with the offence(s)

Just plain wrong

On the other hand, I'm aware of just one or maybe at the outside two individuals who did, do and would support such a level of action having been - and presumably in the future again being - taken.

Oh for the record I'm not referring to Av in any way, shape or form here - solely on the basis of "heavy lies the head that wears the crown". He's entirely excluded in my thinking.

I have my own view of the reasons in play with those seemingly very few supporting a perma-ban, but that of course is supposition. Sure, evidence-based in part, but supposition nonetheless. So not really relevant to an opinion in whether the sanction in and of itself was justified.

Anyhow, are there actually any more supporters of permanent censorial sanction in such a case out there? Hmm?

Adler? ... Anderson? ... Bueller? ... Bueller? ... Bueller? ...

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them

"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12892 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
Skyweir wrote:
Thank you Hashi .. I appreciate your edit.

You are welcome. Responded to your PM with my reasons why.

Now, back on to the topic at hand....truthfully, this thread had pretty much died until Zarathustra came back in and restarted it. The last post was from 22 March then all of a sudden 7 June; now, here we are, 6 pages later and the bickering over the decision from 5 months ago is back, which is a shame.

It is regrettable that Cail got banned. It is regrettable that people are still debating about who caused it and what pebble finally precipitated the avalanche. I tell all of you right now: truthfully, it doesn't matter. What happened happened; nothing anyone says or does now will undo the past--time to move on to current topics which are happening right now.

If the train of logic is that Cail got banned because he had a history of making things personal, then look back over the last couple of pages in this very thread and ask yourselves how long it might be before it happens to someone else. Some of the things being said are starting to become personal; it would be a shame for another poster to join Cail in Limbo.

No, I won't be edit anyone else's posts--my earlier action was a unique situation that probably will not happen again for a long time--and I won't be locking the thread. I will advise walking away from the thread, though--real life is stressful enough, so there is no need to add any more stress onto yourselves.

To be honest, it sounds like Cail wouldn't even come back if unbanned. I warned him about setting himself up for getting banned, and he acted like he didn't give a fuck, really.
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12995 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious, so I had to look. It's been just about a year since the banning. We were told that a problem member was removed so that people would be more comfortable posting here.

Skyweir has not posted in the Tank or on the Watch at all since November 26th.

Lucimay has been on the Watch within the last week, but has not posted in the Tank since June 17th.

Aliantha's last posts on the Watch or in the Tank were on April 1st.

Let this put to rest the idea that it was anything other than a personal hit job.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12892 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that white fertility rates are 1.8 while Muslim fertility rates are 3?

or...

Women lose 90% of their ova by the time they are 30? Women at 40 have only have 3% of total lifetime ova remaining.
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

95911 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scab had pretty much healed over; let's not scratch it open again.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12892 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of unusual for Skyweir to not post on the Watch at all for that long. Hope everything is all right.
SleeplessOne
One of the Infrequent

2258 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a regular visitor and very occasional poster I find it sad that this site has become so dysfunctional over the past couple of years.
Rarely a post regarding Donaldson or his works these days.
peter
No Fear

54884 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost inevitable that one; The first and second Chrons were SRD's glory days as a writer Hide and what glory days they were! I loved discussing the works but in the end I think that many felt they were simply reiterating the same old arguments and discussions - either that or that the serious considerations around his works had in the main been covered and all that was left was dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Anyways, there were always serious and good discussions to be had in The Close and The Loresratt and I wish that we could revive this part of the Watch to it's former glory. But for that we need 'feet on the ground' and that, at the moment we ain't got.

{I have a vested interest in the Watch's survival because in the future, I'm sure that someone is going to stumble across my posts and say "F***! Who was this 'diamond in the rough', this unrecognised genius that like Van Gough [?] was never realised in his own lifetime" and they're going to gather together all of my posts and place them into a 'folio version' and the only reason that any of you will be remembered is because of your association with me! Or something. Wink }

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Hashi Lebwohl

Male

95911 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ur-Nanothnir wrote:
It's kind of unusual for Skyweir to not post on the Watch at all for that long. Hope everything is all right.

She is probably having to deal with wildfires and all their associated fallout.

Don Exnihilote wrote:

Mensa and Intertel
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12995 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
ur-Nanothnir wrote:

She is probably having to deal with wildfires and all their associated fallout.
She's a Kiwi, the wildfires are in Australia.....2,000 miles away and on a completely different island.
"Men and women range themselves into three classes or orders of intelligence; you can tell the lowest class by their habit of always talking about persons; the next by the fact that their habit is always to converse about things; the highest by their preference for the discussion of ideas." - Charles Stewart
Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

2799 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sky is not a Kiwi, she is an Aussie, specifically New South Wales.

Hashi is correct; the fires have been close to her home and she is deeply involved in providing food, water, and succor to displaced domestic critters and wildlife.

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe

12892 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter wrote:
Almost inevitable that one; The first and second Chrons were SRD's glory days as a writer Hide and what glory days they were! I loved discussing the works but in the end I think that many felt they were simply reiterating the same old arguments and discussions - either that or that the serious considerations around his works had in the main been covered and all that was left was dotting the i's and crossing the t's.

Anyways, there were always serious and good discussions to be had in The Close and The Loresratt and I wish that we could revive this part of the Watch to it's former glory. But for that we need 'feet on the ground' and that, at the moment we ain't got.

{I have a vested interest in the Watch's survival because in the future, I'm sure that someone is going to stumble across my posts and say "F***! Who was this 'diamond in the rough', this unrecognised genius that like Van Gough [?] was never realised in his own lifetime" and they're going to gather together all of my posts and place them into a 'folio version' and the only reason that any of you will be remembered is because of your association with me! Or something. Wink }

Well he isn't likely to get popular again anytime soon considering how sensitive people are these days, especially when his books are filled with detailed rape scenes (The Gap series) and an entire series starts off with the protagonist Kevin Spaceying a 15 year old (again with lots of detail).
peter
No Fear

54884 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Nanothnir. Those were either mountains you could climb in respect of his work or mountains you couldn't. Times change and I'm guessing those scenes would not be written now. We've agonised over them long and hard in the pages of this forum and they remain challenging in the extreme. The centrality of Covenant's brutal act to the Chrons makes it hard to see how the series could have been written without it - and my life for one would have been the poorer for their absence from it.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Obi-Wan Nihilo
Ego non semper sapiens

Male

12995 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savor Dam wrote:
Sky is not a Kiwi, she is an Aussie, specifically New South Wales.

Hashi is correct; the fires have been close to her home and she is deeply involved in providing food, water, and succor to displaced domestic critters and wildlife.
A thousand pardons, I would have sworn she was from New Zealand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 21 of 22

Jump to: