Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Killing God" news

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General SRD Discussion and Other Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkurjMaster
Warlike Unfettered

1835 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: "The Killing God" news Reply with quote

I just visited SRD's page and was surprised to read about the editorial trouble he is having. My question is how do Brandon Sanderson and Terry Brooks keep getting published and SRD's book sales are dropping?

I don't get it. Terry Brooks can retread an Elfstone or Ellcrys storyline and it gets published. After reading Sandersen's butchering of Robert Jordan's masterwork I won't even try one of his books.

There are very few that achieve the caliber of SRD. GRRM, Brian Stavely, Steven Erikson, Katherine Kurtz, Modesitt. Not many others.

I'm afraid the Harry Potter and teen fiction movements have killed it for writers like SRD.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

37090 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one didn't think Sanderson did a bad job on WoT...would have been hard to be worse than the disaster that was book 10, although I will grant he seemed to come to his senses for book 11, albeit it sadly too late...

--A

StevieG
Andelainian

Male

7156 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty crap:

From SRD's website News - wrote:
"The Killing God": bad news

My agent has submitted the book to my editor at Berkley. Without reading it (!), my editor informed me that Berkley will not consider publishing the book until I cut 100,000 words. Roughly 35% of the text. On the assumption that I will not do such violence to my own work, Berkley has removed the book from their publication schedule.

Their assumption is correct. At this stage, I routinely prune my manuscripts by 10%. I may conceivably be able to go as far as 15%. But whether or not anyone likes my characters and how I handle them, my stories are very tightly plotted. Each piece relies on--and is implied by--what came before it. I can't mutilate Book Three without making the entire trilogy incoherent.

My agent believes that where we stand now is not the end of "The Killing God." (Never mind of my career.) He has persuaded my editor to go ahead and read the book. He hopes that seeing how strongly Book Three caps Books One and Two (which she loved) will persuade her to rethink her position. I have my doubts. I suspect that her position is corporate rather than editorial: my books no longer earn enough to make them worth publishing regardless of their intrinsic merits. Naturally, I hope I'm wrong.

When I have more news, I'll post it here. I don't expect to hear anything until sometime in January.

12/6/20

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General SRD Discussion and Other Works All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: