Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is it you believe?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter
Masked but not Muzzled.

52507 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that if all of the knowledge that can be known about the universe, being, existence, were contained in the millions of volumes held by the British Library, we would currently be on the first page of the first book.

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
Masked but not Muzzled.

52507 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A woman came into the shop and pointed to the Ankh tattoo I have on my arm. "Do you know what that means?" She asked. "I know it is the Egyptian symbol for light and life," I replied, and she said "It's more than that. In ancient times it was said that people who wore the Ankh would live forever."

I read some popular physics and the more I read the weirder the world seems to be. Time and space are so intertwined as to be effectively one thing, a quantum gravity field. Matter is also at heart essentially little scrunched up balls of this field and the other field, that of electromagnetism is a different manifestation of the same. The field is infinite, but finite at the same time (this at least I get) and folds back on itself torus-like so that what is outside is inside simultaneously and vice versa, the em and gravitational avatars related as in one of those weird folding toys that sort of flips in and out of itself, neither one nor the other inside or out, but both being both and really being just manifestation of the same thing.

And because it's infinite (maybe) or their are infinite versions of it or both, and infinite variations of infinite versions and time exists all at once and the pinch-point of the present just a snapshot in a stack of photos that starts with the first twinkling into existence of the first quantum point of 'it' (whatever it is) and ends with its final blink into blackness before it all starts again (maybe) - quick stop to breathe - then every moment of existence exists simultaneously and permanently and because we read only the single word of the present at any one point doesn't mean that the whole book of both past and future isn't there, physically existent, as we read each moment. And all moments exist simultaneously: at the point you read this, somewhere else you die and somewhere else you are born and somewhere else the universe twinks into existence - and every moment is endlessly recycled - what, endlessly?

This is the world that we live in, so the physicists tell us - and if you probe them deeply then you will find that they too believe that we are only on the first page, of the first book of the first shelf of the whole stupendously vast library - this, what I speak of above is what we have learned on that first page ..... and it is most probably right! And what yet remains to learn in the rest of the library is likely to be equally stunning, equally head-bending in it's revelation as emergent properties like life and consciousness arise in their infinite varieties, as worlds within world's, worlds without worlds are brought forth.

And the Pope tells us that "when we die we go to heaven" and Richard Dawkins tells us that "when we die we go nowhere". And the reality is that you shouldn't listen to either of them because neither knows shit any more than that woman who came into the shop. And the truth is that if I have to make a choice and believe something said by people who are equal in their effective knowledge of nothing that I'd just as soon believe her as either of the others!

Laughing

(That was fun to write - I hope it's as much fun to read! Wink )

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
peter
Masked but not Muzzled.

52507 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no 'answers from the Great Beyond'; there are no answers from science excepting the miserable little parochial ones that the method allows for. But (in case this seems a little bleak), this is offset against the Great Unknowable that is the true beauty of agnosticism; that it is in this realm of the never to be comprehended, never to be seen or so much as even glimpsed from our materially bounded universe, that lies the infinity of possibility that is the true glory of being.

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Close All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: