Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Texas is a failed state.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 45117

Thanks: 49
Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts

Location: texas
9034 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a warm compress Ur.

On the one hand Democrats desperately want Texas to turn blue.

On the other hand Democrats seem joyful that Texans died.
_________________
life's not a paragraph
And death i think is no parenthesis”
― E.E. Cummings

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 3051

Thanks: 34
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts

Location: Guildford, UK
30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brother ur-Nan wrote:
I guess it's okay to talk shit about people as long as they're not Republican, right?
Wrong.

It is however perfectly okay - in fact, both necessary and important - to call out anyone (regardless of their political leanings) who tries to politically weaponise events that are without a doubt apolitical (such as a once in every 30 years weather event).

Brother ur-Nan wrote:
Of course, the GOP will just blame Democrats for the power outages in Texas. They already are. It's all the LIBRUAHLZ fault.
Nobody here's said that. The only inappropriate blaming here has come from you.

Yanno, it seems to me that as far as the Tank is concerned, all the Dems seem to know how to do is to keep up with the demonising and the hyperpolarisation... long after the election has been won. Dems, is that all you're capable of? Have you really got no other ideas, tactics or policy?

Here's a shocker - you won (and in so doing helped dangerously divide a country). So how about you stop with the polarisation and start actually governing instead?

(Oh hey Gandalf Joe... how's your promise to "unite and heal the nation" going? Seems from the Tank that at least that some of your fanboys didn't get that memo...) Rolling Eyes
_________________
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" Rolling Eyes

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them


"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
_______________________________________________
* I occasionally post things here because I am a fan of SRD.

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 20241

Thanks: 11
Thanked 246 Times in 225 Posts

Location: In reality once again
49399 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texans and the GOP lie machines are blaming liberals. And green energy. And the Green New Deal and AOC.

Maybe you're not talking about it. But it's in the news. It's a current event. It's a legitimate point to raise. At least two people here ARE talking about it. So stop being censorious.

TheFallen wrote:
all the Dems seem to know how to do is to keep up with the demonising and the hyperpolarisation

You argue from the moral low ground again. You're demonizing Dems and hyperpolarizing in that very sentence.

Pointing out facts - like the lies being put out in the news - is not hyperpartisan or demonizing. The lies being put out in the news are what is hyperpartisan and demonizing.

Is this the quality shit we can look forward to for the next for years? Conservatives nitpicking about acorns after 4 years of their rolling boulders down the hill? Being hyperpartisan and then blaming other people for hyperpartisanship?

That's just trolling you know.
_________________
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male
Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 16620

Thanks: 29
Thanked 139 Times in 135 Posts

Location: UMCPHQ
95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The failures in the power grid last week lie directly at the feet of ERCOT, who did not start winterizing the grid after the last major ice storm about 10 years ago. They had nothing to do with any non-existent Green New Deal or Democrats, who have not been in power here in nearly 20 years.

We need to restructure that committee: Board Members of ERCOT must live in Texas, those positions should be elected, and the committee is directly responsible to the Railroad Commission and the Legislature.

_________________
No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.


Mensa and Intertel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 3051

Thanks: 34
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts

Location: Guildford, UK
30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
That's just trolling you know.
Wrong again.

You may be right in saying that Pub biassed media is for some fuckwitted reason attempting to blame green deals and AOC for the current Texas weather and its consequences. I'll take your word for it. On point for the "Insanity of the Right" thread, perhaps....

However, what on earth does that have to do with this thread's title? Which is the very quintessence of trolling - as was the Rush Limbaugh thread before being brought back to some vestige of sanity by mod edits.
_________________
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" Rolling Eyes

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them


"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
_______________________________________________
* I occasionally post things here because I am a fan of SRD.

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male
Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Posts: 20241

Thanks: 11
Thanked 246 Times in 225 Posts

Location: In reality once again
49399 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the title and the first post is a satire of the conservatives who called California a failed state when it had power distribution issues. This has already been explained in this thread which, if memory serves, you should read every post of, for Hashi will blast you if you missed something already said.

Or not. You're not a liberal.
_________________
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn
Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Posts: 6555

Thanks: 27
Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts


21039 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make funny satire and it does show that every State is going to have its issues and each side is going to use whatever they can as ammunition against the other side.

In reality, Texas has this specific issue very rarely while California deals with this each year. Both States have things to learn but I would suggest that California has further to go to fix their power grid than Texas and its not even close.
_________________
"He torments himself sufficiently."

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "***

** Note to add that ALL of the hens have since disappeared***


"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fist and Faith
Magister Vitae


Joined: 01 Dec 2002
Posts: 19337

Thanks: 100
Thanked 103 Times in 99 Posts


14131 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB sums it all up nicely.
_________________
We are not required to save the world. We are required to stand up as truly as we can for what we love. -SRD

All lies and jest
Still a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest
-Paul Simon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Phoogle Map
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 3051

Thanks: 34
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts

Location: Guildford, UK
30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH


PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point remains. There is no justification for anyone of any allegiance trying to politically weaponise vanishingly rare weather events.

And as for the attempted justification of "Well, they did it first!"? Surely that is obviously just puerile? I thought Dems were oh so keen to demonstrate that they occupied the moral and intellectual high ground in perpetuity - and "tit for tat-ism" clearly has no role to play, if that's the sort of superiority that one is trying to show one has.

Finally, you say I'm "not a liberal", wf... but by this, all you're simply saying I very rarely agree with your IMV both simplistic and partisan script. "Liberal" is one of those terms that has been hijacked over recent decades and pressganged into meaning something quite different than what it was intended to.
_________________
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" Rolling Eyes

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them


"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
_______________________________________________
* I occasionally post things here because I am a fan of SRD.

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male
Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 16620

Thanks: 29
Thanked 139 Times in 135 Posts

Location: UMCPHQ
95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ


PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
My point remains. There is no justification for anyone of any allegiance trying to politically weaponise vanishingly rare weather events.


For many on The Left, everything is a potential political weapon: weather events, TV shows, movies, song lyrics, etc. Even what people don't say or do is a potential weapon--"that person did not denounce x as loudly and as quickly as we did, therefore they must support x".

When you are going to be portrayed as damned if you do and damned if you don't, then the wisest course of action is to ignore the person(s) who are doing the damning and act according to your own desires.

I concur--the only way Texas could be portrayed as "failed" is via satire because the reality of the situation is the complete opposite.

_________________
No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.


Mensa and Intertel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe


Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 2963

Thanks: 19
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts


12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hashi Lebwohl wrote:
TheFallen wrote:
My point remains. There is no justification for anyone of any allegiance trying to politically weaponise vanishingly rare weather events.


For many on The Right, everything is a potential political weapon: weather events, TV shows, movies, song lyrics, etc. Even what people don't say or do is a potential weapon--"that person did not denounce x as loudly and as quickly as we did, therefore they must support x".

When you are going to be portrayed as damned if you do and damned if you don't, then the wisest course of action is to ignore the person(s) who are doing the damning and act according to your own desires.

I concur--the only way Texas could be portrayed as "failed" is via satire because the reality of the situation is the complete opposite.


You play the same political game when saying that California is a failed state for experiencing natural phenomena.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male
Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 16620

Thanks: 29
Thanked 139 Times in 135 Posts

Location: UMCPHQ
95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ


PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their environmental problems are exacerbated by failed policies such as disallowing the electric provider from trimming the underbush around transformers or lines, creating ample tinder for any spark to ignite a wildfire. California needs to worry more about its people and less about one or two wildlife species. Their other environmental problem is in the cities where homeless people now own the sidewalks and streets, using them as public toilets--there have actually been cases of typhus and bubonic plague found there because of the human waste. California needs to worry about public health and safety and less about offending homeless people. Finally, California's economic policies have been driving wealthy people and businesses out of the State for years, most of them heading for Texas (espeically the Austin/Round Rock area). Calfornia needs to worry more about its economy and less about "economic justice".

All things considered, California needs to worry more about implementing policies that actually work and less about pursuing a failed agenda.

_________________
No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.


Mensa and Intertel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avatar
Immanentizing The Eschaton


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 60144

Thanks: 74
Thanked 194 Times in 190 Posts

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
37633 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFallen wrote:
...events that are without a doubt apolitical (such as a once in every 30 years weather event).



I think the real "issue" here (and honestly have not read this thread) is not the fact of the rare event, the regulation or lack thereof of Texas' grid, (the only independent grid in the US, IIRC so not sure how comparable it is to California), but this:

Quote:
Extreme Weather Events Have Increased Significantly in the Last 20 Years

There has been a “staggering rise” in the number of extreme weather events over the past 20 years, driven largely by rising global temperatures and other climatic changes, according to a new report from the United Nations. From 2000 to 2019, there were 7,348 major natural disasters around the world, killing 1.23 million people and resulting in $2.97 trillion in global economic losses...

...China had the highest number of any single country, suffering from 577 major natural disasters. The United States came in second, with 467 events, followed by India, 321 events, the Philippines, 304, and Indonesia, with 278 disasters.

The authors of the report said the findings show a critical need to invest in disaster prevention and preparedness.


The real point is that "once in 30 years" is not going to remain the case.

--A
_________________
It's easy to judge. It's more difficult to understand.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Phoogle Map
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe


Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 2963

Thanks: 19
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts


12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. It's said that the extreme winter weather experienced 2 weeks ago will become typical winter weather in the coming years.

Rising global temperatures = increased water vapor in atmosphere = more precipitation (snow/ice) during winters.

I guess in the future I will be sure to buy at least one vehicle with four-wheel drive because I was stranded for an entire week due to not having that kind of vehicle. Really sucked.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Avatar
Immanentizing The Eschaton


Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Posts: 60144

Thanks: 74
Thanked 194 Times in 190 Posts

Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
37633 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire


PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely cannot imagine it. Very Happy I don't think I've ever experienced anything worse than maybe -10°C and that without snow and ice etc. Very Happy

--A
_________________
It's easy to judge. It's more difficult to understand.

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Phoogle Map
sgt.null
jack of odd trades; master of fun

MaleRanyhyn
Joined: 19 Jul 2005
Posts: 45117

Thanks: 49
Thanked 96 Times in 95 Posts

Location: texas
9034 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2007 Watchies1 2005 Watchies1 2011 Watchies


PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avatar wrote:
I genuinely cannot imagine it. Very Happy I don't think I've ever experienced anything worse than maybe -10°C and that without snow and ice etc. Very Happy

--A


In English? Celsius?
_________________
life's not a paragraph
And death i think is no parenthesis”
― E.E. Cummings

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
TheFallen
Master of Innominate Surquedry

Male
Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 3051

Thanks: 34
Thanked 32 Times in 30 Posts

Location: Guildford, UK
30749 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH


PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgt.null wrote:
Avatar wrote:
I genuinely cannot imagine it. Very Happy I don't think I've ever experienced anything worse than maybe -10°C and that without snow and ice etc. Very Happy

--A


In English? Celsius?

If you mean Fahrenheit, rather than the Celsius/Centigrade that Av gave, then divide by 5, then multiply by 9, then add 32. Therefore -10°C = 14°F
_________________
Newsflash: the word "irony" doesn't mean "a bit like iron" Rolling Eyes

Shockingly, some people have claimed that I'm egocentric... but hey, enough about them


"If you strike me down, I shall become far stronger than you can possibly imagine."
_______________________________________________
* I occasionally post things here because I am a fan of SRD.

This should not be considered as any condoning of the hypocritical, snowflake, bleeding heart, white guilt-ridden, compulsively virtue-signalling and totalitarian prog Left woke zealotry which some try to force upon this forum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Phoogle Map
Hashi Lebwohl
Director of Data Acquisition

Male
Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 16620

Thanks: 29
Thanked 139 Times in 135 Posts

Location: UMCPHQ
95496 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Caesure1 Insequent1 UMCPHQ


PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Texas Independence Day


_________________
No matter how thinly you slice it, it's still bologna.

What is the secret of Zen? Burn all your Zen books.

If you can't handle losing then you don't deserve to win.

Don Exnihilote wrote:
Hashi, if you thought you were wrong at times, evidently you were mistaken.


Mensa and Intertel
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SoulBiter
Cail is missed!!!

Ranyhyn
Joined: 02 Jun 2004
Posts: 6555

Thanks: 27
Thanked 55 Times in 54 Posts


21039 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Forbidding1 Giant Ship1 Giant


PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats to Texas and Mississippi for becoming 100% mask free and 100% open for business.
_________________
"He torments himself sufficiently."

**"You can deny if you will but the "hens" didn't just happen to show up when they did, by accident. "***

** Note to add that ALL of the hens have since disappeared***


"All of the above is my opinion and thus shouldnt need to be supported by anything other than more of my opinions. twocents "

We miss you Tracie but your Spirit will always shine brightly on the Watch
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brother ur-Nan
God Bless Uncle Joe


Joined: 07 Jan 2018
Posts: 2963

Thanks: 19
Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts


12821 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:


PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever play Russian roulette?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Hile Troy's Think-Tank All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by Earthpower © Kevin's Watch