Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stephen R Donaldson On the Web
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General SRD Discussion and Other Works
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49987 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More movie love over at [url=moviepilot.com/posts/4002519]moviepilot.com[/url]. But no one's putting a ring on it.
Immanentizing The Eschaton

38078 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it, the more I think a GoT style series would be better than a movie. Or even a series of movies.

--A

Lazy Luke
License to Copycat

2870 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Post
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49987 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this this morning, and it made me happy to see that the notion is still out there.

Quote:
Ars' plea: Someone make this into a series
The Ars staff picks the novels we think would make compelling TV adaptations.
ARS STAFF - 3/7/2021, 9:00 AM

:
:

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant (1977-2013) by Stephen Donaldson

Would you watch a series about a divorced, self-loathing leper who is transported to a magical land and instantly becomes a powerful being in a fight against monumental evil, all because of the wedding band he never removed? That's the basis of The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, a fantasy series that first appeared as a trilogy in the late 1970s but has now grown to 10 installments.

Our protagonist, Thomas Covenant, is about as perfect an antihero as there can be. Summoned to the Land after being knocked unconscious, Covenant is harangued by Lord Foul the Despiser, who tells him to carry a prophecy of destruction to the Council of Lords. The series unfolds from there, as Covenant reluctantly joins with the Lords to battle the host of evil that threatens the Land.

The twist is that Covenant believes he's actually unconscious and the Land is just a fever dream. When his health is restored by Earthpower and his impotence is cured, he commits an unspeakable crime against one of the Land's inhabitants. Despite this, he is accepted by the council and joins them on a quest to reclaim the Staff of Law and cleanse the Land of its existential threat. And that's just book one.

Whoever produces this will definitely need a hefty effects budget for the giants, cavewights, ranyhyn, and other creatures of the Land. But the first trilogy (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever) is excellent source material, as author Stephen Donaldson is masterful at creating a richly detailed and imperiled land of beauty and innocence, along with the perfect antihero to save it. And if the ratings are good, there's a second trilogy and an ensuing tetralogy to draw on.

-Eric Bangeman, Managing Editor [link]

* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Thanked by: Savor Dam
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

49987 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent interview with Stephen Colbert confirms he's a Fan of the Land.

Quote:
COLBERT: Without a doubt. Without a doubt. I wasn't conscious of it at the time. I remember a teacher asking a friend of mine, why does he always read science fiction and fantasy? - because I was a very poor student. I barely graduated from high school. And I had basically - I was a terrible student from the moment that they died. I just didn't care anymore. But I read almost a book a day. Like, I read constantly, and all fantasy and science fiction. And I had an enormous amount of it because my oldest two brothers, Jim and Ed, had been born in the '40s, had been reading science fiction during a real golden age during the '50s and the early '60s. And I had all of their books.

So I had boxes and boxes of books they had left behind. So I was reading deep-cut stuff like L. Sprague de Camp and A. E. van Vogt and Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore and people nobody reads anymore. And - or rather, you know, you have to be really into it to know some of these names. And they were an escape, you know? They're still an escape. I still will go back to Roger Zelazny or Stephen R. Donaldson or some of the fantasy writers of my youth to have that sort of comfort food of a alternate world to soothe me.

The full interview is here - you can listen to it or read it.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Skyweir
Lord of Light

45843 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Lord's Staff1 Oath of Peace1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man of distinguished taste 👌😉 in an exemplary literary genre👌

'Smoke me a kipper .. I'll be back for breakfast!'

EZBoard SURVIVOR
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> General SRD Discussion and Other Works All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: