Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reasons for Delay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Great God's War -> The Killing God
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Land
Stonedownor

422 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reasons for Delay Reply with quote

In the absence of an update from the author I offer several conjectures for The Killing God radio silence.

1) The editor at Berkeley still has not made a decision in regard to publication.
This seems unlikely since Steve indicated a quicker turnaround time.

2) Steve is undertaking an aggressive edit of TKG to meet publisher demands.
This too seems unlikely since Steve indicated that anything over 15% would harm the work.

3) Steve is still shopping around TKG to another publisher
This is possible. I'm not sure of the legalities involved, but securing a new publisher could be quite time-consuming, especially for an author with dwindling sales and a large book.

4) Steve has given up on publishing TKG and is moving on to other projects.
While possible, I believe Steve would let his readers know this.

5) Steve is dealing with an illness or personal issue which prevents him from making any progress or communicating the current status of the project.
I sincerely hope this is not the case.

While it seems incomprehensible, we need to accept the fact that it may either be a very long wait for publication or TKG may not get published at all. I remain hopeful that the book will find its way out into the world eventually. I'm very sorry that Steve has to go through something like this, especially since The Great God's War is some of his best work. Perhaps this is a fitting echo to his publishing struggles for Lord Foul's Bane all those years ago. May he also persevere through this trial.

Last edited by Mr.Land on Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niftium
Woodhelvennin

38 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do we place our bets? I've got three handfuls of aliantha on #3.

He's 74 this year. We're going on something like 6 years of gestation - and counting - for TGGW, from conception to publication of the final book. There isn't time for another series. I suspect he's well aware of all of this and wants to make sure his swansong is done right (or as right as possible).
zakyfarms
Servant of the Land

43 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He finally posted on his website today, and didn't even mention this situation. Throw us a bone!
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

3232 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zakyfarms wrote:
He finally posted on his website today, and didn't even mention this situation. Throw us a bone!

Yeah that is incredibly strange he didn't mention it at all. Especially when he seemed to indicate he would have news in January. Now six months later he has a audiobook news but not a peep about The Killing God?

One has to assume that there is a good chance the publisher told him to keep quiet about whatever negotiations are going on. And/or SRD is negotiating with another publisher and wants to keep silence until a firm offer is in hand.
Mr.Land
Stonedownor

422 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least we know Steve is still alive and kicking. I wonder is there was some fallout from his public disparaging of Berkeley back in December.
Mr.Land
Stonedownor

422 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like we finally know the reasons for the delay. Crossing my fingers his agent and publisher gives a thumbs up after all of Steve's efforts.

"People who would like to read "The Killing God," Book Three of "The Great God's War," have been waiting for a long time. Not me. I've been holding my feet to the fire continuously for at least six months, trying to mediate between my publisher's demands and my own standards. Now I've done what I can. My agent finally has the manuscript. When he's read it, he will deliver it to my publisher. At that point, the long wait will move on to phase three.

My publisher's issue has never been quality. Rather, it has been expense. To reduce the cost of publication, I've been told to cut 100,000 words. But my issue *is* quality. To that end, I've cut 59,000 words. An arduous task emotionally and artistically, but I'm prepared to stand by the results. Now we all wait to learn whether the quality is high enough to outweigh the expense.

My agent is remarkably effective when he believes in the book he represents, so his approval is important. But the final decision will be made "in house" at the publisher: a process which may involve some debate. Fortunately, my editor is likely to favor publication. After all, she loved the first two books--and refusing to publish the third book of a trilogy is a black mark for any publisher. Unfortunately, she doesn't have much clout.

Barring some unforeseen obstacle, I'll post more news when we move on to phase three."
zakyfarms
Servant of the Land

43 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"At long last, TKG is back in the hands of my editor. My agent is very happy with the new version. He made some useful suggestions (which, fortunately, required only a little extra work) and helped me clean up the text (typos, missing words, that sort of thing). Now my fate depends on whether the editor likes the book enough to push for it.

I have no idea how long I'll be forced to wait for a decision. In the short term, I need the rest. Beyond that, I'll go unquietly crazy.

8/5/21"
StevieG
Andelainian

Male

7465 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess that's progress.

I think you're right ~ TheFallen
Roger
Servant of the Land

22 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confident that the book will be released eventually. It's unfortunate that it has to be a cut down version. I wish he could publish some kind of "author's cut" so we could read the full story as SRD intended.
Mr.Land
Stonedownor

422 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking the same thing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Great God's War -> The Killing God All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: