Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yes, Dune again.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

50645 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thinking about it a bit more, trying to express clearly what are my vague thoughts.

Some movies try to be pop culture sensations. Avengers. Fast and Furious.
And some movies try to be significant and serious. Watchmen. Arrival. Interstellar.

Ender's Game tried to be a pop culture sensation based on a significant and serious book. I am hoping this Dune isn't trying to be a pop culture sensation. However, casting like Chalomet and Zendaya and Momoa leave me concerned.

There are very, very few examples of movies based on significant and serious books that turned into significant and serious movies that were also pop culture sensations. The Lord of the Rings. Blade Runner.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
peter
No Fear

59320 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I get you Wayfriend; probably unfairly, but it's difficult to see Jason Momoa turning in a heavyweight performance in anything other than a muscle-bound sort of a way. And the casting 'ethos' maybe gives some clues as to the audience they are trying to appeal to. Agreed - misgivings duly felt. Let's hope they prove them to be unfounded.

Smile

....and the glory of the world becomes less than it was....
'Have we not served you well'
'Of course - you know you have.'
'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard
Immanentizing The Eschaton

38823 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, I think he can pull off Duncan Idaho, especially in the original book. Later "versions" of Idaho perhaps not as well, but I doubt we're going to get all God Emperor... Very Happy

See, I didn't even know that this was going to be a 2-part effort (and no Peter, the David Lynch movie was a monstrosity with perhaps the exception of ol' Sting himself who did a credible Feyd Wink ) but I'm actually glad that they're not going to try cram it all into a single movie, even if it is 3 hours. (Oh, I see it's 155 mins.)

Premiere apparently well received.

Hmmm, seems part 1 ends with Paul's fight against Jamis...however, (and I'm already annoyed by this), the thing I just read calls Jamis the "leader" of the Fremen which obviously he was not. Maybe the piece is just wrong...I hope...

Oh well, can't be worse than David "killing word" Lynch so... Very Happy

(And I never bothered with the Enders Game movie.)

--A

peter
No Fear

59320 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing C'mon Av - Mulholland Drive, The Elephant Man, Eraserhead - cut the guy some slack! Wink

(Not everyone's cup of tea I know though.)

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

38823 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost Highways is the one that sticks for me. Very Happy But no, I don't dispute his talents per se. He just fell prey to the Dune curse is all. Very Happy

At least he actually made his version...imagine what Dali's would have been like. Very Happy

--A

peter
No Fear

59320 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked it out Av and I don't think I've seen it.

Apparently it was the first of a three part 'series' of which Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire were the two follow ups. I've seen both of the latter, of which Mulholland Drive I loved (I've probably seen it five times) and Inland Empire totally lost me.

I'll see if any of the streaming services are offering it and if so (when I feel mentally robust enough for an evening of David Lynch Wink ) give it a spin.

Smile

'Then let it end.'

We are the Bloodguard

38823 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dune: science fiction’s answer to Lord of the Rings

--A

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

50645 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
when Frank saw Star Wars he “picked out 16 points of what he called ‘absolute identity’ between his book and the movie, enough to make him livid”.

Well, Tatooine is a desert planet. So 1.
2. There's an emperor.

Quote:
On top of this, Paul’s rise, to put it mildly, is no positive thing, and Villeneuve, asked about the white saviour trope on his press tour for the film release, made this point. “It’s a critique of that. It’s not a celebration of a saviour,” he said. “It’s a criticism of the idea of a saviour, of someone that will come and tell another population how to be, what to believe. It’s not a condemnation, but a criticism.”

I don't think many people understand that Herbert didn't envision Paul entirely as a hero in Dune. Yes, he's a sympathetic character. But he's also a political response which, for all it is inevitable, isn't good for humankind. Paul himself regrets what he has become. It isn't until God Emperor unfolds that we understand how Leto II cured the human passion for tyrants which Paul embodied.

It's hard to see how any movie adaptation would not take the easier course - Paul Atreides Gets His Revenge.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Zarathustra
Be True

34015 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so white saviors are now considered a bad thing in mainstream cultural criticism? Then why do the Democrats want to be the white saviors? Seems the messaging is off. They need to get their talking points straight. Are white saviors bad, or not? Why do we have to defend Herbert and the character Paul as not really talking about being a savior? And if it is bad, then why doesn't this point ever stick to the real world people who act like white saviors, instead of saving it for fictional characters?

Does this mean that Lincoln was actually the bad guy in our own history? Or what about The Savior? Is Jesus a racist, too? Can he legitimately save people of races other than his own? When did this idea become a bad thing?

Dem outrage/offense is a confusing, fickle, self-contradictory thing.

I'm going to paste this into the Tank if anyone wants to discuss further there.
Meaning is created internally by each individual in each specific life: any attempt at *meaning* which relies on some kind of external superstructure (God, Satan, the Creator, the Worm, whatever) for its substance misses the point (I mean the point of my story). -SRD

Remain faithful to the earth, my brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth ... Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls. Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do-back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning. -Nietzsche
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Andelain -> Flicks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: