Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek's William Shatner goes to outer space

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Star Wars and Star Trek Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cord Hurn
Servant Of The Band

MaleRanyhyn

9367 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Plains of Ra1 Furls Fire1 Andelain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Star Trek's William Shatner goes to outer space Reply with quote

Today, William Shatner of Star Trek got launched into space along with three other crew members, and stayed above the Earth's atmosphere for ten minutes. He is now, at age 90, the oldest human being ever to go in space. I thought this was pretty cool, and the news took me by surprise.

Any thoughts about this from other Watchers?
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

16401 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

(AUDIO RESTORED) William Shatner "Sings" 'Rocket Man' 1978 [YouTube: 5 min]

=========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

Space Oddity [YouTube: 5 min]

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

3146 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone who grew up with "stars in his eyes" (between the '60s space program, Star Trek...and Robert Heinlein) and went on to spend 13 years working at NASA facilities, I kinda follow this stuff.

Prior to this year, the oldest person to fly to space was John Glenn at age 77, who earlier was the first American to orbit Earth during the Mercury program. When he returned to space decades later on the Shuttle, it was a pretty big deal.

Shatner flew today on New Shepard, which previously broke Glenn's mark for oldest-in-space when 82-year-old Wally Funk flew with Jeff Bezos and two others in July.

Glenn, of course, was previously an astronaut, served over two decades in the Senate, and passed the standard NASA astronaut physical to return to space. Funk was a NASA astronaut candidate, but was not selected for flight until Bezos invited her on the first New Shepard launch.

Shatner had no prior astronaut training or experience, despite his iconic portrayal of Captain James Tiberius Kirk. At 90, he apparently handled the up-to-5G flight stresses just fine.

Pretty impressive!

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
Fist and Faith
God-Emperor

18544 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's rather extraordinary, imo. He actually got to go to space.
-Paul Simon
Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

16401 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

Spaceflight Now @SpaceflightNow | Twitter ​[Video: 2 min]

Savor Dam
Will Be Herd!

MaleRanyhyn

3146 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 2009 Watchies1 Furls Fire1 Love

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At no time has William Shatner been accused of being prolix.

Even we Watchers, devotees of a verbose literary style, might lack for words after that experience. Ought we expect profundity from Shatner after his suborbital sojourn?

No. We. Knew. What. We. Would. Get...Nu?

Have patience with everything unresolved in your heart and to try to love the questions themselves as if they were locked rooms or books written in a very foreign language. Don't search for the answers, which could not be given to you now, because you would not be able to live them. And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.
~ Rainier Maria Rilke
Fist and Faith
God-Emperor

18544 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to hear him talk. Laughing
-Paul Simon
High Lord Tolkien
Excommunicated Member of THOOLAH

Male

3342 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 Lord Mhoram's Victory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's pretty cool.
I don't know if he's ever been an advocate for space exploration or not but his character and Star Trek has been inspirational for so many people I think it's fitting.

Plus, think how awesome it is that old people (like me) can now survive a trip into space!
Very Happy

[Defeated by a gizmo from Batman's utility belt]
Joker: I swear by all that's funny never to be taken in by that unconstitutional device again!
Immanentizing The Eschaton

38823 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, William Shatner is 90?!?

--A

Damelon
Lord

2518 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army1 Rivenrock1 Coercri

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at an appointment to give blood while the launch was ongoing and was watching the second half of the flight with a needle in my arm. Interestingly, the twenty something women nurses there only had a vague idea of who William Shatner was.

Bill did give Bezos his money's worth with his commentary afterwards. The sound wasn't high enough for me to hear what he was saying but whatever he was saying, it seemed it seemed lasted as long as the flight. Laughing
But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. ~ Carl Sagan

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

50645 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's awesome that Shatner was gifted with such a trip.

It's right for all the reasons why Prince William is wrong. A space industry will save the Earth. (Or it could, if done with a conscious.) And right now, the industry needs PR to expand. People need to believe in it.

And if enough people believe in it, and pay attention to it, and care what happens to it, then it may not become yet another form of exploitation and destruction. (Looking at you, Facebook.)
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
Menolly
Blek Lives Metter

FemaleRanyhyn

Location: Harper Hall, Fort Hold, Northern Continent, Pern...
151522 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Pantheon Veteran1 2008 Watcher of the Year1 Furls Fire

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a lot of funny memes regarding William Shatner's space flight. But I watched the crew disembark, and was very taken with Shatner's philosophical comments to Jeff Bezos when he first left the capsule.

From NBCNews:

[Shatner] said that going from the blue sky to the utter blackness of space was a moving experience: "In an instant you go, whoa, that’s death. That’s what I saw.”

Shatner said he was struck by the vulnerability of Earth and the relative sliver of its atmosphere.

“Everybody in the world needs to do this. Everybody in the world needs to see," he said. “To see the blue color whip by and now you’re staring into blackness, that’s the thing. The covering of blue, this sheath, this blanket, this comforter of blue that we have around, we say, ‘Oh, that’s blue sky.’ And then suddenly you shoot through it all, and you’re looking into blackness, into black ugliness.”

He said the return to Earth was more jolting than his training led him to expect and made him wonder whether he was going to make it home alive.

“Everything is much more powerful," he said. “Bang, this thing hits. That wasn’t anything like the simulator. ... Am I going to be able to survive the G-forces? Am I going to be able to survive it?”
God-Emperor

18544 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting!
-Paul Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> The Library -> Star Wars and Star Trek Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: