Kevin's Watch Forum Index
 HomeHome   MemberlistMemberlist   RegisterRegister   SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   FAQFAQ   StatisticsStatistics  SudokuSudoku   Phoogle MapPhoogle Map 
 AlbumAlbum StoresStores   StoresItems Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WGW Chapter 5 - Landward
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> 2nd Chronicles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

51553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
3 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I came across these guys the other day. Probably old news for some, but they are new to me.

That's a Pokemon named "Avalugg". The Iceberg Pokemon. They are pretty big - six feet tall.

They're not exactly what I have imagined arguleh look like, but damn if they don't check off a lot of boxes.

Quote:
The moving shape was as wide as the height of a Giant, as thick as the reach of Covenant's arms. Short legs bore it forward with deceptive speed. Dark gaps around its edge looked like maws.

Even the names arghuleh and avalugg are somewhat similar.

Quote:
Etymology: Avalugg's name is based off the words avalanche, and either lug, which means to carry or pull heavy objects, or lugg, which is Norwegian for "pile."

* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

51553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More.

So I ran across this post while I was looking for discussions of the arguleh: Winter in Combat, a reading by Stephen R. Donaldson...

Sadly, all the links are dead, but a little sleuthing turned up an image of the album cover.

Larger version: link

This album cover is fascinating in it's own right. We have Waynhim in their rhysh, Covenant, Linden, the First, and even Pitchwife. All of them, I must say, are rather well done, and true to the descriptions in the story.

But look in the silver medallion in the middle. Look closely. (And so the larger image.) Arguleh! Not just one, but two - a small one riding on the back of a larger one.

It is the croyel arghule. This is possibly the only artistic rendering in existence.

Given the faithful rendering of the other characters, I have to wonder how much Donaldson himself had guided the design of those creatures.

... more sleuthing found this in the Gradual Interview:

In the Gradual Interview, Stephen R Donaldson wrote:
Yes, your Caedmon cassette is authentic--although I myself only have the LP version. I did that reading. But I tend to forget that it ever existed, since it was only a fragment anyway, and had such a short shelf-life (it sold so poorly that Caedmon quickly cancelled their plans for a whole series of "Covenant" recordings). And Real Musgrave is a dear personal friend, so don't blame him if the cover-art seems a little, well, "de trop".

(08/17/2004)

Not sure what Donaldson means by "de trop" here.

de trop \ də-ˈtrō \ : too much or too many : SUPERFLUOUS, EXCESSIVE

de trop /də ˈtrō/ adjective: not wanted; unwelcome.

Maybe he thought that poor Musgrave squeezed too much into one picture? Anyway, I don't think it means that the depiction of the arghule is poor. In fact, that the fact of their close friendship leads me to believe more in their accuracy.
* I occasionally post things on KevinsWatch because I am a fan of Stephen R. Donaldson; this should not be considered as condonation of the white nationalist propaganda which is posted far too frequently on this website.
samrw3
The Gap Into Spam

3636 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm maybe Donaldson meant that he felt the cover art gave away too much of the story?

Although my guess is your right that he meant it was excessive - a lot of different images on one cover art.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

51553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to think of it, he may have been alluding to the number of legs on that arghule ... Smile
Fist and Faith
God-Emperor

20226 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Foul Duck1 Lord Mhoram's Victory1 2011 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That album cover is the coolest thing!
-Paul Simon
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

51553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laboriumed.
wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

51553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh.

Wosbald
A Brainwashed Religious Flunkie

22611 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of Linden's Army

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+JMJ+

I'm lovin' it, WF.

Though made in the 80's, that artwork is just so 70's.

I'ma picturin' it sittin' pretty in a macramé frame.

wayfriend
whilom witling

Male

51553 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect.
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1087 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Arghule

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another one of those things that I had and lost many years ago. Donaldson chose this particular scene to read from due to its "serendipity." He had no idea what to have the questors doing between returning to the Northron Climes region and making it back to the Land. This is all explained inside the album cover.

wayfriend wrote:
More.

So I ran across this post while I was looking for discussions of the arguleh: Winter in Combat, a reading by Stephen R. Donaldson...

Sadly, all the links are dead, but a little sleuthing turned up an image of the album cover.

This album cover is fascinating in it's own right. We have Waynhim in their rhysh, Covenant, Linden, the First, and even Pitchwife. All of them, I must say, are rather well done, and true to the descriptions in the story.

But look in the silver medallion in the middle. Look closely. (And so the larger image.) Arguleh! Not just one, but two - a small one riding on the back of a larger one.

It is the croyel arghule. This is possibly the only artistic rendering in existence.

Given the faithful rendering of the other characters, I have to wonder how much Donaldson himself had guided the design of those creatures.

Yes, your Caedmon cassette is authentic--although I myself only have the LP version. I did that reading. But I tend to forget that it ever existed, since it was only a fragment anyway, and had such a short shelf-life (it sold so poorly that Caedmon quickly cancelled their plans for a whole series of "Covenant" recordings). And Real Musgrave is a dear personal friend, so don't blame him if the cover-art seems a little, well, "de trop".

(08/17/2004)

Maybe he thought that poor Musgrave squeezed too much into one picture? Anyway, I don't think it means that the depiction of the arghule is poor. In fact, that the fact of their close friendship leads me to believe more in their accuracy.

Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.WhachichunTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
thewormoftheworld'send
The Gap Into Spam

Male

1087 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Arghule

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "de trop," I gather that Donaldson was saying in a nice way that it's an ugly cover, or that he doesn't like it for some other profoundly aesthetic reason. We know from the GI that he doesn't like the original covers to the First Chronicles. Even beyond the fact that the Giants are huge in comparison to TC and LA, beyond any other defects in the artwork, Donaldson would see it as just plain ghastly, not his style.

wayfriend wrote:
More.

(08/17/2004)

Tales of a Warrior-Prophet has gone Live on Amazon KDP Vella! I'm very excited to offer the first three chapters for free. Please comment, review and rate, and of course Follow to receive more episodes. Two hundred free tokens may be available for purchases. https://www.amazon.com/kindle-vella/episode/B09YQQYMKH

Read my Whachichun Tatanka (White Buffalo) Blog: https://www.blogger.com/blog/posts/8175040473578337186
FB: https://www.facebook.com/WhiteBuffalo.WhachichunTatanka/
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/white_buffalo
dlbpharmd
Lord

MaleRanyhyn

15435 White Gold Dollars
Tokens
HP

User Items:
1 Member of THOOLAH1 2007 Watcher of the Year1 2007 Watchies

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayfriend wrote:
Heh heh.

Yeah, that art is really good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Kevin's Watch Forum Index -> Group Readings -> 2nd Chronicles All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: